NHL'94 Forums

GDL??

JackVandal

We currently have Plablegs still running thas had filled that void to a degree. We're also currently kicking off the Brutus league that will last at least 2-3 months from now. After that it's summer time when it's quiet anyways. I don't think there are enough people or interest for any large leagues during the summer time.

I'm willing to take part on a possible GDL after the summer, but if classic is coming back in fall, which I hope then perhaps even closer to late fall/early winter. I'm fine if they're run at the same time, just don't prefer them to start at the same time.

Edited by Depch

I've been told repeatedly by all the old time members that tradition,. GDL has to be 24 coaches.  

The last 2 head counts for leagues (both Plabax & mine), show we don't have 24 active Gens coaches to do a season right now.

The last GDL I ran , I had to replace a lot of coaches.

Figure next league to be Survivor or Plabs Season 2 type thing.

14 minutes ago, JackVandal said:

Well I would love to see GDL keep going. If interest is the sole obstacle I'll do what I can to rally some tropps

The main reason I did Et Tu, Brute instead was because I was told by at least 5-6 vets that GDL is 24 coaches & if not 24, do something else.

Plsblegs is basically GDL w/ less coaches & no penalties , so I went w/ the Blitz rom to add variety.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Been almost 11 months since a GDL game has been played, and over a year since a draft, this used to be the staple of the site, the league of all leagues, wish I had the time to organize the next GDL, but I fear even if I did I couldn't even get 12 reliable coaches to commit never mind 24 shame.

Ask and see who is willing to play.

I personally think 24 coaches is too much. 18 I think should be the absolute max because there simply isn't enough depth in the weight bugged version of NHL '94 to build 24 teams that are all competitive. GDL wasn't always 24 coaches. 24 coaches is nice and all, but I hate the idea of someone losing a draft league because they didn't get a high enough pick, and they weren't willing to rip someone off in a trade.

The reason I started Et Tu Brute was because we didn't have 24 coaches in GDL & enough of those who were willing to play stated quite clearly that GFD needed to be 24 coaches to be GDL.

The last league I ran was no fun for me because I couldn't get enough people to join/finish their games.

If Classic doesn't yield enough coaches, Mac's league might be the lone warrior left!  (If we only have 8-10 coaches, I don't see the need to run a third league to go along w/ classic & his league)

6 hours ago, Brutus said:

If Classic doesn't yield enough coaches, Mac's league might be the lone warrior left!  (If we only have 8-10 coaches, I don't see the need to run a third league to go along w/ classic & his league)

You may not see the need, and if it is no fun for you, I totally get that you don't want to do it.  But please know that your diminished presence has a huge impact on the community.  You have been sorely missed, and that is reflected on the forum as well as at that Vegas event. (Not meaning to guilt you. Just want to make sure you know your efforts were always appreciated.  My own participation here goes up and down as real life allows.  I get it.)

For the record, I would play in any league you ran, big or small, and Et Tu Brute was a lot of fun for many of us. :)

Edited by aqualizard

13 hours ago, aqualizard said:

You may not see the need, and if it is no fun for you, I totally get that you don't want to do it.  But please know that your diminished presence has a huge impact on the community.  You have been sorely missed, and that is reflected on the forum as well as at that Vegas event. (Not meaning to guilt you. Just want to make sure you know your efforts were always appreciated.  My own participation here goes up and down as real life allows.  I get it.)

For the record, I would play in any league you ran, big or small, and Et Tu Brute was a lot of fun for many of us. :)

Thanks Aqua.  Appreciate the words.  REALLY wish I could have made Vegas.

I don't mind putting in the time to run the draft/setup a league.  I hate trying to get enough guys to have a full season & then worry about getting a playoffs that a)finishes & b ) isn't half filled w/ forfeits.

We simply didn't have enough guys  willing to play & have had zero replacement level activity.  If it's an 8 team level league, always felt Coach had them down to a science, so if just join in whatever he had going.

if you ever feel there is enough head count to do a league, I'm always open to texting/ email me.

Still the best game out there IMO.

1 minute ago, Brutus said:

Thanks Aqua.  Appreciate the words.  REALLY wish I could have made Vegas.

I don't mind putting in the time to run the draft/setup a league.  I hate trying to get enough guys to have a full season & then worry about getting a playoffs that a)finishes & b ) isn't half filled w/ forfeits.

We simply didn't have enough guys  willing to play & have had zero replacement level activity.  If it's an 8 team level league, always felt Coach had them down to a science, so if just join in whatever he had going.

if you ever feel there is enough head count to do a league, I'm always open to texting/ email me.

Still the best game out there IMO.

I can see us getting 12 good coaches to run a mini GDL, or another ETB, that is about the max I can think of, and 12 might be stretching it.

Yeah, that's kind of the number I figured & thought that it would not go well with Classic & Mac's league, so I was going to look at polling end of October for a December draft in Et Tu Brute.

If Classic lags, stutters out of the gate, we could try for earlier, maybe mid November.

I think for sure I'd want it to start after Mac's season 2 cause I'm probably going to play in that too