NHL'94 Forums

Et Tu, Brute, SCHEDULE GAMES

Brutus

27 minutes ago, Brutus said:

So, I can easily agree that a one month or month & half schedule is better.  But changing rules mid stream is never a good idea.  We know next time.

This is important, and you exercised good judgement, IMO.  Whatever rules you put in place regarding completion rates and milestones, stick to them.  When I decided to join, I factored in whether I would have time.  If the season ended earlier, or milestone rules changed, I may not have had time, and would be scratching my head thinking a "bait and switch" happened, so why am I looking like a jerk for (supposedly) slacking?  

I can see a commish making tweaks and adjusting some rules midstream, but the deadlines and milestones are sacrosanct.

1 hour ago, Brutus said:

So, tradition is 2 month long seasons for leagues 20-24 coaches in size.  It's the obvious reason for this setup by me.

i was unable to get enough people to 56 games to finish the league ahead of schedule, so I did not shorten the season.

For my part, as a participant, I've finished my team minus Zep.  I've finished half another team's games minus 2 X Ice.  But as a commish, it's hard to scream at people who are still within standard setup guidelines laid out at the season's beginning.

So, I can easily agree that a one month or month & half schedule is better.  But changing rules mid stream is never a good idea.  We know next time.

Coach & Plabs are the few openly campaigning for short seasons before the seasons start, so the other banter sounds foolish to me given it wasn't there when I was creating the setup.  I have signed up & played in both your guy's leagues in the past so I'm not opposed to your ideas.

I did not think with Spring Break & Easter that we would be sitting so close to completion at 3-4 weeks in.  If I had, I'd have made it 5 week season.  Hindsight 20/20.

I do believe the 4 X your own conference & 2 X the opposite has been a very successful formula, so that's a plus going forward.  An easy way to mix A & B together without too much brain damage.

i also thought Skip's VHL was dead since it took like 3 months to finish the playoffs, but given he just started that up again, I did not want to run the shorten B version of this league (~10 coaches NOONE month scale) like I originally discussed.

i also am not doing DNP's, but just not re-inviting the guys who don't play.  Maybe next season we might have 9 in A & 8 in B.  I will likely put more emphasis on league quality over even schedule/stats.

both chef & cbk were needed to get us to 20, which is a small number & we had 2 drops!!

Most of us don't want to play in a 6 man league or we would already be doing it, over & over & over by now.

so, I'll discuss with all the active coaches for next season we run & see who is welcome back.

You and Raph are great commish's because you are level headed. 
And help to grow the game and keep a wide variety of people interested.

Plabs was a great commish, because he kicked ass and took names.
No exceptions.

It is very much like being a Head Coach.

Both styles can succeed and both can fail.

It is important to get the right players in your league/team.

5 hours ago, Brutus said:

Most of us don't want to play in a 6 man league or we would already be doing it, over & over & over by now.

This is essentially 2 separate 6-8 man leagues with cross over exis!

I very much approve minus the slackers.:big_smile:

AND we do it over and over again.

Edited by CoachMac

Darko and Chefstar, I will pop on at 3pm EST and 5pm today to see if you are around. (Sorry for short notice, it is a holiday and I can't plan far ahead this weekend...)

You guys are my last 2 peeps for 100% completion...

I need Darko, KingRaph, and Brutus! Got FPB scheduled. I know Raph and Brutus like to play late, so let me know if one night works, or maybe this weekend. 

Hartford is on a roll and the Whale needs to eat! Also, Casey rocks.

Edited by kylewat

Darko, I am off work today with an eye issue.  I can pop on at 3pm EST today to try for games? (That is 9pm your time, right?)

Hopefully we can make this work. If I get you in, I am at 100% completion.

6 minutes ago, Darko99 said:

I send you a message Aqua...

Mssg received. Ok I can do 4pm EST today. Must be done by 5pm, which I think it will be. So if you are on time, let's rock!  Thanks!

1 hour ago, kylewat said:

I need Darko, KingRaph, and Brutus! Got FPB scheduled. I know Raph and Brutus like to play late, so let me know if one night works, or maybe this weekend. 

Hartford is on a roll and the Whale needs to eat! Also, Casey rocks.

How about Thursday night, 9ish?

1 hour ago, Darko99 said:

I send you a message Aqua. I scheduled with CBK for this week.

Need Zep FPB and Habs. I m not workin this week so can be around late if we schedule something.

Thursday around 1:30 my time? Eastern US Time. so something like like 1930 I think local France time?

Or I could do first thing in the morning.

Edited by kylewat

2 hours ago, kylewat said:

Thursday around 1:30 my time? Eastern US Time. so something like like 1930 I think local France time?

Or I could do first thing in the morning.

Sounds good dude. Perfect

• 2 weeks later...