NHL'94 Forums

Tips for Floater goal and manual goalie

I was searching for the forums and couldn't find real tips for these two topics.
I know there are videos on floaters but I just can't seem to manage to do them right.
Is there anywhere a step-by-step guide for floaters as in some markers, handing of the player, speed, timing, angle etc.?

I can make pass shots, "the deke" etc. but this one eludes me.

Also, a solid manual goalie tip thread. Couldn't find any.

If someone could point me to some content on these two topics I'd be super grateful. Thank you.

I don't believe either of these two exist at the moment, so nothing I can help point you to.  Eventually I plan on doing something on goalie control for nhl94strategy.com, but won't be for a while.  I'm not sure what the floater goal is, so can't help there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

I don't believe either of these two exist at the moment, so nothing I can help point you to.  Eventually I plan on doing something on goalie control for nhl94strategy.com, but won't be for a while.  I'm not sure what the floater goal is, so can't help there.

Thanks for the reply. These are floater goals shown on this video.

8 hours ago, kingraph said:

The backhanded floater?  If you have pass shots down then instead of B you tap C 

17 hours ago, KurtVogel said:

Thanks for the reply. These are floater goals shown on this video.

One thing about that video.. all those shots are along the ice, which actually I never do, I always put my floaters up high. I think that's the usual way. Maybe that's why you're getting tripped up.

12 hours ago, smozoma said:

One thing about that video.. all those shots are along the ice, which actually I never do, I always put my floaters up high. I think that's the usual way. Maybe that's why you're getting tripped up.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Hmm that seems strange cuz im almost positive i always aim up diagonal for most floaters. I see what youre saying tho, they do look like theyre on the ice. Maybe its just the way it looks? :huh: Cuz shooting low with floaters is wack

As for your question Kurt, im not sure there's a better way to show them other than with a program that shows your inputs or something. Goal methods in 94 are a feel thing, as you can see in that vid all floaters are mostly the same, just slight variances in angle/speed/timing/whatever. You cant emulate those goals? Make sure youre using a player with at least a 4/4 shot or else it won't be very consistent

Edited by TomKabs93

45 minutes ago, TomKabs93 said:

Hmm that seems strange cuz im almost positive i always aim up diagonal for most floaters. I see what youre saying tho, they do look like theyre on the ice. Maybe its just the way it looks? :huh: Cuz shooting low with floaters is wack

Hmmm, the shadow on the puck is ahead of the puck, so it didn't look like it was raised. Weird. I wonder if it's always like that....

I also noted that a speed of 4+ is really helpful on this. For example I manage do these 10 in a row with Gilmour but struggle to get a few in a row with Bradley (who has great shot stats but is slow).

So I've made some progress and here are my tips for others like me:

Here's a scenario where you have a leftie player, so you should start from the left side and head diagonally towards the right side:

Make sure you move diagonally towards the opponent goal as shown in the videos.  Right around in the middle axis of the field, around 3 meters from the goal, start to steeply turn to the left. Here it's important that you press directly left, not diagonally, but straight left on your controller. Your player's momentum still moves you where you were skating originally (diagonally right) - with the goalie following - but your stick and the puck will eventually point to the left. Now, the crucial thing is to shoot the puck exactly when your stick and the puck get to point straight to the left. This is where the angle is perfect and the goalie is not blocking the puck because you were leading him to the right all along and suddenly the puck is on your left and you're shooting it left.

This is just how I got it to work and how I think of it, but obviously there are many variations which might be more difficult and use more subtle movement and angles.

Any corrections and additions by the experts would be welcome. Thank you.

Edited by KurtVogel

2 hours ago, KurtVogel said:

Make sure you move diagonally towards the opponent goal as shown in the videos.  Right around in the middle axis of the field, around 3 meters from the goal, start to steeply turn to the left. Here it's important that you press directly left, not diagonally, but straight left on your controller. Your player's momentum still moves you where you were skating originally (diagonally right) - with the goalie following - but your stick and the puck will eventually point to the left.

This is exactly the same with some pass shots. To "fool" the goalie to follow a certain trajectory where the puck is expected to go from the players momentum and then do something that does not disturb the movement so the goalie does not fix the position. It helps a lot when you gain experience from doing these by repetition so you will be able to do them when when the goalie has just moved so it will be even harder to make a save by the AI. When it comes from the backbone and there is no need to think how you do it, then you've become efficient with them.

Off topic:

For pad vs kbrd conversation: This type of move is where keyboard is easier to perform with, but for me smooth deking is much harder with it and the skating seems somewhat bulky at times. But if you can do the floater with a pad then you can do certain pass shots as well, they just need to be done a tad faster with some more wiggle/deke moves-> more precision required. Advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by Depch