NHL'94 Forums

Your Best NHL moment

nate

Mine would have to be the classic matchup my roomate and I had on the 10th anniversary of the game's release (March 2003). An old highschool friend of ours called us up to tell us that on that day in March (can't remember the day now), NHL 94 was released, so we of course had a few beers to celebrate, and then played the tenth anniversary game.

We played a full game of 20 minute periods with our classic teams (I Montreal, him L.A.), and what a beautiful game it was. By the end of the 2nd I had a 7 goal lead, but he stormed back in the third to tie it at 22-22 and send it to O.T. Overtime was the most intense of our lives, and just over 2 minutes in Savard broke down the wing, did the infamous Savardian-spinerama in front of the net, and sent Montreal into the annals of NHL 94 history. It was probably the highlight of my entire life... and I don't think I've ever seen my roomate so mad.

My best moment was back in the first year the game came out. One of my friends was talking trash about how great he was and I challenged him to a game. He always took Chicago and I took San Jose (@ home) and told him I'd win. I beat him 1-0 in front of about 8 of our friends. He never heard the end of it. It was my greatest win and I remember it as if it was yesterday. Pat Faloon scored the only goal.

There's been plenty of great moments in NHL94 for me.

The first one that comes to mind has to be the time 12 goalies skated on the ice at the end of a game on Genesis. It was totally insane. I have the videos of it on the nhl94.com videos page if you want to see. The video quality wasn't great because all we had was a cheesy webcam.

Another great moment was the time my cousin and I played a 40 game season with the original NHL94 for Genesis, and we were playing game 7 of the finals. We recorded the whole game on video. Teams that made it to the finals for us were Chicago-Vancouver. It was game 7 of the finals in OT, and guess who scores on a one-timer.... Murray Craven! Vancouver was our NHL94 champs.

my best NHL 94 moment had to be scoring with hasek, i have never been able to do it since, but i meant to pass it (i hit the pass button) and it went thorugh all the players across the ice and into the other net...evan and i were dying with laughter...but alas only once it has ever happened...yes that was my best NHL moment

My best moment came against my cousin. He was Chicago and I was Hartford, and we played the game in Chicago. He mustve outshot me by 20 to 30 shots but somehow late in the game, trailing 2-1 with under a minute to play, verbeek scored from an impossible angle along the boards with my netminder pulled. He ws furious, but it got worse. After playing with no victor through the 1st OT, and pummelling me with shots on net, in the 2nd OT JR had a breakaway. He faked left, then right, then quickly released a fade away shot left again. The puck actually went behind the netminder, but somehow my hartford goalie was able to pull one out of his ass, dove backwards, and got the stick on it through a miracle save. My cousin actually raised his hands in the air for a second, but then after realizing it wasnt in, I quickly had a rare 2 on 1 the other way. verbeek passed one over, and then back to verbeek, who SLAMMED himself and the puck into the net in a true Kamikaze goal through belfour if ever there was one. 3-2 FINAL leaving the Chicago fans, and my cousin, STUNNED. Ive never seen his face so red in all my life LOLOLOL!!!! His friends were there, and it was quite a sight seeing them laughing at the NHL 94 God who was humbled like a dog!!!!!!

One of the greatest highlights of my game experience was two months ago. I started a game chicago v.anaheim. On the opening faceoff i had steve larmer break in, get three quick shots on goal and score seven seconds in. I IMMEDIATELY concluded hes "hot' and I was going to see how many goals and how much he could dominate anaheim's poor defense. I kept winning faceoff after faceoff with roenick and passed to Larmer who seems suddenly untouchable by the defense. he scored on slapshots, wrist shots, rebounds and piled up the shots, too. After the 1st period, it was, I think, 6-0 Chic and Larmer had all the goals! And 11 shots to boot. I knew it was gonna stay like that the whole game, but I don't know why I was so sure. In the second early on I accidently scored with Chelios on a pass shot, ruining any chance that Larmer would get all the goals. But Stevie was undaunted scoring 4 more times, on wrap arounds, onetimers, and scrambles in front. Of course, those who play know this phenomenon, toward the end of the period the mode control went on for anaheim, and they controlled the puck for the last two minutes finally scoring a goal on a super fast onetimer which was passed outfrom behind my net. Ok they got one. The 3rd period was a hassle... they played keep away for minutes at a time, but on every faceoff I won the puck and passed to Larmer. IIts 11-1 and about 5 minutes in mode goes off and Larmer blasts home two more goals, twelve for him. Another lull occurred, and we're down to two minutes left. My personal high in goals for one player was 13 by mogilny, sandstrom, recchi and eklund, with Evan. I started icing the puck to get posseession on faceoffs, yet anaheim was all over me, With 1:29 left Larmer still needed two so we face off he gets control skates in and Bang, off the post , his 1st post of the game. Now I am doubting that he'll set a 14 goal record for me... but there 1:06 left. Faceoff again.. Roenick wins it Larmer breaks up ice gets the pass and tries to stuff it in. There is chaos in front, the goal light goes on Larmer getsit!!! Now on the ensuing faceoff at 31 seconds left L armer receives the pass from Chelios who threaded the needle, he's checked as he tries to shoot, the puck squirts free and bounces right back to Larmer who backhands it in the net while being held!. I did it 14!

21 seconds left. Now Anaheim wins the faceoff-YOU LOSERS! TOO LATE ! All I can say is what pressure I felt in the 3rd period, Larmer didn't care, he was making a point.

l

This was not my moment, but I did witness the event. I was watching a game between my two roommates back ijn college (this was about 10 years ago). The game was Buffalo at Boston, and my roommate who used Boston was the best NHL player I knew. He rarely lost with Boston. Anyway, he was up 4-1 in the third with a minute left. My other friend (using Buffalo) scored 4 goals in 34 seconds. I have yet to see this record eclipsed even against the computer. Needless to say, all of us watching were dumbfounded and in shock. What a demoralizing loss. It was a classic moment.

• 5 months later...

This is my first post on this board. I cannot believe there is a site for this game. My friend and I used to play NHL 92 - NHL 94 day and night. Most of all the records I have seen on this board we had beaten. In a 20 minute game we scored 107 goals, a 5 minute game gave us 29 goals one time. We played as teammates and had the one timers down to a point where we would usually score at least a goal a minute. Not only that, we had 2 games where the CPU attack time was less than 10 seconds for a 5 minute game. lol

Anyways, there were a ton of great moments, but one of the funniest had to be when we were called for a penalty. As usual the opposing goalie skates off the ice to allow the extra skater to get on. Seeing how the computer skater had the puck by his own goal, my friend and I knew what had to be done next. Simultaneously we pinned him against the net and then dropped him to the ground. Of course he lost the puck which trickled behind him, scoring on his own goal.

There was the other time too when I hit a slapshot into a skater's head which smacked him down, but allowed the puck to float in the air over the goalie for a goal. Man we must of replayed that one a hundred times.

Well, great site guys, reminds me of the old days.

ghost

• 2 weeks later...

TIT GAME: BRUINS VS FLYERS...My roomate was up 6-2 heading into the 3rd...he was so cocky saying..well for this period im just going to try slappers...well raymond j borque and adam oates took over..scoring on lefts rights constantly and then i tied at 6-6....my roomate scored and it was 7-6...mark rechii..i was hurt..but with 30 seconds left..donny sweenys break away goal made it 7-7 and we went into OT...

OT session ended in a tie although joey juneau hit the post on a one timer which made everybody so deep...but still...in teaches humans not be cocky animals...

• 1 month later...

It was my friend and mine first game ever of NHL 94. We both loved NHL 93. He got it for his birthday and we sat down to play our first game. It was 1 to 1 after regulation. With not much time left in overtime, I get a breakaway and he bumps me from behind and I missed the net and the ref called a penalty shot. ( which of course was the new feature in NHL 94.) Doug Gilmour ends the game with a goal on the penalty shot. To this day I believe my friend likes NHL 93 more , because it doen't have the penalty shot.

Final Score

Toronto 2 Detroit 1

this also falls under the category of bugs, but my favourite nhl '94 moment is something referred to as "the slide show".

my buddy ben (klima85) can back me up on this one since i was playing him when the magic moment happened.

okay, a couple of years ago, we're playing on my genesis when we are interrupted by the familiar freeze and error message. sensing something more was about to happen, ben told me to wait a moment before i reset the system. sure enough, after a moment, the screen began flashing random still images from the game while playing arena organ music! these weren't just ordiary screenshots either, there was garbled text at times, goal! messages, random graphic bugs, at one point one of the images was of a player skating in the crowd! each image would last a few seconds as the music played continuously and we sat there, stunned and in awe of what we were witnessing. after about a minute of this miraculous gift, the climactic moment came in the form of a player on the ice holding the stanley cup aloft in triumph. seconds later the show was over and the screen was frozen once again. we waited several minutes, in hope that we would be blessed with another slide show, but it was not meant to be.

i know that conventinal wisdom would suggest that what we saw was simply a malfunction, but since we were playing on the cartridge i have had since the game came out, we like to think that the slide show was a reward for years of loyalty to nhl '94 and that the images we were seeing were the alltime highlites for my cartridge. perhaps it commemorated the one millionth game played, or something along those lines.

since then we have always wondered if nhl '94 will ever reward and honour us with another slide show. awhile back ben did see a much shorter one (i believe it was missing the music as well), but the possibility of moments like this is a big part of what keeps us playing the game.

i would love to know if anyone else has ever seen anything like the slide show.

i would love to know if anyone else has ever seen anything like the slide show.

actually I experienced one today, when I was playing against computer. I managed to save the situation (I played with emulator) so I could maybe create a video of the situation if you are interested.

THAT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

way to go swos! i'm glad you've had the privilege of experiencing the slide show! how was it? did you get the music? the skater in the crowd? any other amazing surprises? about how long was it?

as far as a video, yes, i would be very interested in seeing it. you have to make that happen.

how many times have you seen the slide show? does anyone else have any slide show stories?

here it is:

http://students.oamk.fi/~jhonkako/nhl94/video/slideshow.avi

to answer your questions:

The messed up replay screen happens quite often.. maybe every 1000th time or so.. I have never experienced slideshow like yesterday before, though I have never examined the messed up replay screen like that before, so I think for every messed up replay screen there is the slideshow.

the slideshow seems to be as long as you want it to be, a neverending loop.

There is much happening on the screen all the time, and I can load the situation and watch the scenes from different places at the rink every time.

• 1 month later...

ummmmmm this happend with my snes it was cool there was a fan on the ice wish i got it on tape but there was a better time................. ok me vs.my lil fat bro he was ottawa me vancover he is a pro lil nerd after the 1st 12 bro me 5 :( but after the second bro 13 me.....12 cocey lil bastard then bure was out that lil dick :rolleyes: over time 1 second left shot save another goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll then hes like f**k u im like i won hahahahahahahahLOL :lol: now i can win big time :)

• 5 weeks later...

Greatest moment? Uhm.. I mainly play it by myself nowadays, and my best game ended 18-0 in 5 minute periods, done with default rom on zsnes (so yeah, it's the snes version).

Shots actually were 34-28 :) But a shooting % of 52 has gotta be the best I've had. It felt like everything was going in. Yzerman was the big game winner with 10 goals and 4 assists. All game stats were actually pretty even, except for those that matter :unsure:

Don't have any real memories against friends though... It was about 10 years ago since I really played it a lot against friends. Sadly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well this is far from the "best moment" and hardly even a record, but didn't want to start a new thread for "nothing"..

post-153-1141767598_thumb.jpg

So that's, a hat-trick in 40 sec, by a defenseman, with two goals in powerplay, no two assist of the same player (though/and all players on the ice got an assist each) and this was done with line changes on. Ehm.. Yeah, it's a custom team :blink: so the stats are probably All Star Team like heh, but still.. And btw, Mats Sundin got a hat-trick (0:10, 0:21, 1:06) early in the first period, which I then thought was pretty neat.