NHL'94 Forums

Coach Mac's Historic Roms

CoachMac

3 minutes ago, Modano’s mafia said:

Who’s your team Mac ? I think I read somewhere it was Edmonton. I think someone has done a 90 rom. That was a classic season as well. A tough Bruins team, and an Edmonton team getting it done again but without the great one.  The work you guys do is amazing. It’s great getting a chance to play with my north stars once again. 

I think Mac is a Habs fan, he has a personal splash screen with P. Roy, the greatest goaltender in history.

10 minutes ago, themessiah1194 said:

I think Mac is a Habs fan, he has a personal splash screen with P. Roy, the greatest goaltender in history.

That makes sense. The Habs run in 93 was one of the best imo. Bunch of underdogs. On a side note other than Mike Modano and Dino Ciccarelli, Larry Robinson is my favorite player of all time.  

Im surprised how many people consider Dino a Red wing. 

7 minutes ago, Modano’s mafia said:

That makes sense. The Habs run in 93 was one of the best imo. Bunch of underdogs. On a side note other than Mike Modano and Dino Ciccarelli, Larry Robinson is my favorite player of all time.  

Im surprised how many people consider Dino a Red wing. 

I agree on that. Dino is not a Red Wing. On the side note on Roy being the best ever (though Hasek is not far behind) think about the players of that Era Roy had to face night in, night out, uffff. Roy played in an Era that can't not be compared with players today, he played in the golden Era of Hockey. 

24 minutes ago, themessiah1194 said:

I agree on that. Dino is not a Red Wing. On the side note on Roy being the best ever (though Hasek is not far behind) think about the players of that Era Roy had to face night in, night out, uffff. Roy played in an Era that can't not be compared with players today, he played in the golden Era of Hockey. 

Very good point. Who are your top 5 goalies of all time ? Billy Smith is up there on my list. 

1 hour ago, Modano’s mafia said:

I figured lol. He was clutch no denying that. The rangers vs devils 94 eastern conference finals was the best series of all time in sports imo. Adam Graves was one of my favs. 

That was a classic, Mateau!! Mateau!!! Mateau!!!

On 11/22/2018 at 2:10 AM, CoachMac said:

New 1950's and 1960's Decade Roms with players individually rated, not just cloned '94 players.:big_smile:

Much more interesting for a draft pool, than what you had for ETB Deuce. 
This is what I intended @Brutus to use but we failed to communicate well.

These are also Weight adjusted for the Era so 204 is a B weight in the 50's, A weight in the 60's.  (204 = 8 Weight in the Original Rom)
They also include 18 man rosters for 3 full lines unlike my year by year roms which only have 12 man rosters.
Roms are below and in the OP.
improvedgordie check.jpgsplash.PNG

NHL'94fifties.bin
NHL'94sixties.bin

Can you tell me what teams you used for the ROMS? Which Hab team for example

The picture (and the story) of the The Rocket handshake are truly hockey heroes lore!

Also, could Coach or someone else repost his historic ROM from 1987? I love it, but I think that my copy is not the final product.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:30 AM, CutterTML said:

Can you tell me what teams you used for the ROMS? Which Hab team for example

@CutterTML
These roms are made up of compilation teams. 
-Not a particular year but a general feel of the team from the decade. 
-No player was placed on 2 teams.
-I tried not to use players in multiple decades. (Obvious exceptions like Howe and Beliveau)
-Each team has 9 forwards (mostly playing as lines that played together)
-Each team has 6 defensemen.
-Each team has 3 goalies.

Check out the manual I made for details on the players.
Manual.docx

I found myself always struggling to decide which year to play of my roms so I wanted to simplify my choices and rate players based on multiple years rather than on a particular year.  I worked hard to maintain the integrity of the original ratings (much like @naples39 does with his roms).  Almost no one has any 6 ratings and 5 ratings were given based on the percentages in the Original rom.  I spent the most time I ever have on getting the ratings correct since I only had 2 roms to worry about and 12 teams.

The Habs rosters were probably the toughest to make with so many great players. 
The 1950's rom for the Habs leans heavily on the 1956 team, but also includes Elmer Lach and Gerry McNeil from earlier in the decade and Claude Provost and Charlie Hodge from later.
The 1960's Habs was the toughest as I left Boom Boom (50 goals in '61) and Dickie Moore off the roster.  But I wanted the team to feel  more like the mid-sixties over achievers than the early sixties disappointments on St. Catherines Street.  Plus Boom Boom and Dickie get their due credit in the 1950's rom.

I also wanted these roms to be available to @Brutus or anyone running a draft league so that these players feel and are arted differently than the Original '94 players.  In my year by year roms players are just cloned.

I would love feedback or to discuss my choices and your impressions of these roms.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:12 AM, Matt55 said:

The picture (and the story) of the The Rocket handshake are truly hockey heroes lore!

Also, could Coach or someone else repost his historic ROM from 1987? I love it, but I think that my copy is not the final product.

@Matt55

Yes!  Love It!

Thanks!

Here is the 1987 Rom.

NHL'87.bin

Edited by CoachMac

I am Coach Mac's superfan #1, so I do have old versions of his 70s and 80s ROMS.  They were done before he started doing the scoreboard sponsor logo, but they do have sticktape, splashscreens, player cards, etc. 

He recently posted a 72-84 ROM; maybe that was what you wanted.  I could find that too.

70s NHL Coach Mac.bin

80s NHL Coach Mac.bin

Also, I have to say that I like the most recent idea for his 50s and 60s decade ROMs - going with a feel of a decade team over a specific year.  Why pick a year when every year I pick has a team or a line I like but is missing something else?      

OK, here is the 72-84 one.

72 to 84 NHL Coach Mac Variety Pack.bin

On 12/16/2018 at 9:37 PM, Matt55 said:

I am Coach Mac's superfan #1, so I do have old versions of his 70s and 80s ROMS.  They were done before he started doing the scoreboard sponsor logo, but they do have sticktape, splashscreens, player cards, etc. 

He recently posted a 72-84 ROM; maybe that was what you wanted.  I could find that too.

70s NHL Coach Mac.bin

80s NHL Coach Mac.bin

But do u know if he did the same thing as with the 50s and 60s ROM by just doing an all star team within the team (not a particular season)??

If not, do u know off hand what yearly teams he used for each franchise?