NHL'94 Forums

[UPDATED] FALL 2006 League Dates Announced!

Evan

Hey Guys,

The Fall 2006 Gens and Snes leagues WILL BEGIN SEPTEMBER 2ND.

REGISTRATION for all leagues will begin AUGUST 5th through the 19th. There will be a new Registration form, so anything filled out before then won't be used for the Fall.

IMPORTANT: The order I receive the Registration forms is the order you get your first choice teams. Make sure to register early to get the teams you want!

More on next season coming in this thread.

-Evan

IMPORTANT: The order I receive the Registration forms is the order you get your first choice teams. Make sure to register early to get the teams you want!

Just some thoughts...

This seems a bit unfair. I think the lower seeds should get 1st picks. Also, my team pick would be highly dependent on what division I am in.

Can you at least let us know what division we are in before allowing a draft order? Its probably too late...

Oh well. Either way. Should be another fun season. Thanks Evan.

Im going to be out of town between August 4th and 6th and dont want to be left with a crap team in the A division.

Is there anyway I can leave a list to be used August 5th so I dont end up with a crap team, otherwise its going to be a major uphill battle with a bad team to win the A division.

That may make me considering being in the B division with a crap team.

Let me know.

backhand - There's no real way to make it 100% fair. I can't please everyone... but with 20 teams per division the worst teams are in the likes of NYI, DAL, WSH, NJ.

thegr8199 - Yes, send me your list before then and we'll work something out.

-Evan

Guest cr0ssbar94
Just some thoughts...

This seems a bit unfair. I think the lower seeds should get 1st picks. Also, my team pick would be highly dependent on what division I am in.

Can you at least let us know what division we are in before allowing a draft order? Its probably too late...

Oh well. Either way. Should be another fun season. Thanks Evan.

But then guys like me who overachieved with scrub teams like SJ get screwed.

I'd like a team that's half way decent this year and with where SJ finished I'd be on the bottom of the list for picks.

Evan's right, can't be fair to everyone. I think his way of doing this is the best one. I like it just fine.

But then guys like me who overachieved with scrub teams like SJ get screwed.

Good point crossbar.

I just feel bad for a bottom seed dude, barely getting into the A league, get screwed with a crappy team. What if Kgman happens to register 1st and pick Chicago?

Anyways, i understand there is no way to please everyone.

Im going to be out of town between August 4th and 6th and dont want to be left with a crap team in the A division.

I think anyone living in Canada will be away this weekend. It's a LONG WEEKEND!! Since we're all campers and cottage-goers up here, it's gonna be a hard for us Canucks to get online. Too bad the registration doesnt open Thursday or something. <hint, hint>

I've played tons of this game and I can tell you its one of the better hockey games in that

the more skillful player will win over a good team. Drafting a good team isn't that important

there's only like 3 teams that really standout.

I will say there is 3 really bad teams where the players can't accept passes. Maybe those

teams are excluded but if not they should be. Aneheim, Tampa, Ottawa

Hey Guys,

The Fall 2006 Gens and Snes leagues WILL BEGIN SEPTEMBER 2ND.

REGISTRATION for all leagues will begin AUGUST 5th through the 19th. There will be a new Registration form, so anything filled out before then won't be used for the Fall.

More on next season coming in this thread.

-Evan

EVAN,

How do I get involved? I'm savage on 94, you oughtta see my pristine Genesis equipment, and 13 copies of NHL'94. Anyhow, I'm just waiting for my adapter for my 6 button handle for the computer, which I found on a website. It goes in the same hole the mouse you can plug in goes to. But I gotta tell ya, I'm not technologically saavy, I downloaded the program, but don't know how it works, or anything. I'm such a freaking noob with computers. Help! I'm excited to play and I want to see if these guys people talk about are as good as they purport to be. I obliterated a dormitory of 80 guys one week back in 96 in my sophmore year, w/o losing a game, and have played ever since. Thanks . . .

Is the league time intensive? How long does it run? I'm curious how it will conflict with my shedule, cuz I'm in law school and work, etc . . . .

Sincerely,

Jeff Rickett

Jeff,

There's a getting started page here: http://nhl94online.com/html/getting-started.shtml

The league will be pretty game intense. This upcoming season, coaches will need to play 40 games in 2 months. It may sound like alot, but should go smooth since coaches can log the scores themselves.

If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

-Evan

hey i agree with EVAN.. lets not try to make this draft order or setup difficult than it has to be ... the basic post ur request and first come first serve is better , it shows dedication and committment and that you're really into the league, and as for leaving the country or going somewhere for a few days.. then ummm iunno make a list then lol

I also like better the original idea of just first-come, first-serve, as it makes it more likely that the "regulars" will have their "regular" teams. I'm all about tradition.............. I don't mind seeing a few changes here and there, especially if guys WANT to switch teams (ex: I know that the94kid is dying to get his hands on Pittsburgh), but if all of a sudden all of the familiar veteran faces had "weird" teams then the league would feel like some kind of weird parallel universe or something! Unless they want to change their teams, I for one wanna see Schwartz as Hartford, Shakazuzu as Montreal, Cajanek as St. Louis, etc etc, for tradition's sake!

I also like better the original idea of just first-come, first-serve, as it makes it more likely that the "regulars" will have their "regular" teams. I'm all about tradition.............. I don't mind seeing a few changes here and there, especially if guys WANT to switch teams (ex: I know that the94kid is dying to get his hands on Pittsburgh), but if all of a sudden all of the familiar veteran faces had "weird" teams then the league would feel like some kind of weird parallel universe or something! Unless they want to change their teams, I for one wanna see Schwartz as Hartford, Shakazuzu as Montreal, Cajanek as St. Louis, etc etc, for tradition's sake!

Did you say "beer" or "deer"?

Evan,

I may be in the minority here but I don't really see how racing to register for teams is more fair than a draft based on last seasons standings. I can understand how that might be the best option for the B league, but for the A league I'm assuming all or nearly all of our coaches played last season. Why couldn't the order go from the worst records who didn't make the playoffs picking first, then the worst regular season record of the first round losing teams picks, etc., etc., until finally the Stanley Cup Champ picking last. I would be happy to go through the standings and figure out the order for u. You could start the draft at any time on Aug 5th, give people 1 minute to make their selection. If they can't make the draft have them send u a list ranking their picks from 1-20. It sounds like this is what the people who aren't going to be around are doing anyways. If they don't send in a sheet or get online in person, they go to the end of the line and u randomly pick them a team at the end.

Please consider this option when it comes to picking teams, it will create parity in the league, which is good for the league.

Feez

P.S. I would pick 4th from last under this system.

What problem was there last time when this system was used? There wasn't any. Some terrible teams went far. Some good teams went nowhere. No problem at all.

I agree Cam, unless we're talking about the select few awful teams (Ottawa, Florida, Tampa, Anaheim), I don't really find the team has all that much bearing at all on things........... I find it's pretty much all about the player. Look at the GENS league, Dallas is only a mediocre-at-best team in terms of ranking and star power, but kgman plowed through the competition en route to winning the Stanley Cup. And in both leagues, San Jose made the playoffs (well San Jose made them in the SNES league but then disappeared and LA played in his stead). The powerhouse Penguins missed the playoffs in the SNES league (despite a pretty good player coaching them no less). It's like 95% about the player, with the exceptions of those awful teams I mentioned, and with 20-team leagues we won't have to worry about people being stuck with those anyway.

Yup its all pretty much been said already but a race registration still seems to be the most fair way to go about it, even if it isnt perfect. I am pumped to see things already moving to get started back up but my only concern is the opening dates falling on the long weekend as someone already mentioned. I know I myself will be away ( :D ) and I'd be willing to bet that more than a few canucks are in the same boat. I'll try to talk to evan sometime this week and see if we cant figure something out :P

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I always appreciate your thoughts and comments.

I think the system of first come, first serve will work out fine. Guys can always trade teams with other coaches once the "draft" is done. Also, the best players can win with any team. It really shouldn't matter which team you get. Like some of the guys have said, it's the player.

More importantly than racing for teams, you guys will be racing to get spots in the league (more-so in the B leagues). The guys who are returning from last season have spots already as long as they register. It will be the first 40 registrations for Gens and first 40 for Snes.

No idea mentioned in this thread was a bad idea, so keep them coming!

-Evan

ALSO: For the long weekend, we'll def figure something out. Maybe submit early and I'll randomly put your list into the mix?

Guys,

The Registration WILL start Saturday, August 5th. We WILL have the exact time (Eastern Standard Time) here and on the homepage the MINUTE we know today. Expect it to be in the afternoon or evening tomorrow. So don't worry about being around at 12:01 tonight to sign up.

There WILL be a new form called Fall 2006 Registration. If you see the Spring 2006 Registration up that means the new form isn't ready and Registration hasn't started yet. The new form WILL have 20 dropdowns to order your top 20 teams. This helps us so we don't have to contact guys for more team choices later on.

Updates to follow...

UPDATE: REGISTRATION WILL BEGIN SATURDAY, AUGUST 5th AT 12 NOON EST

Phewwwww, I kinda got drunk last night and forgot about today being registration day and forgot about my plan to log on at 12:01 to ensure I get my beloved Nords.

I logged onto the Forum today, saw the registration form up, and went NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I filled it out anyway, then read this thread and realized that registration only started 10 mins ago! SWEET