NHL'94 Forums

NHL'94 remaster

If the game had a fresh coat of paint. Let's say the gameplay was kept intact, but sliders were added so that every element of the game could be adjusted: physics to difficulty to AI. What would you add to the game that would enhance it? And I'm not purely talking gameplay mechanics, but visuals and everything in-between

To get the juices flowing...

• custom arenas
  • 4K player sprites (no sharp pixels) with more frames per animation
  • kit builder (like SWOS)
  • team creation
  • custom organ-tunes generator
  • custom leagues 
  • online stat tracking 
  • spectator mode
  • be a player-type mode
  • career mode
  • different eras (fans are dressed differently & rules & players wear vintage gear / no lids)
  • outdoor hockey & shinny modes
  • mini-games

I'd like a comprehensive list and I'm curious as to all the ideas we could come up with. 

• Thanks 1

Love this!:big_smile:

My Wish list Right Now.

#1 No lids

#2 Best of 3 and 5 Playoff Options.

#3 Custom Arenas

#4 Organ tunes Generation (Chicken dance Baby!)

#5 Season Mode

Wishes Granted.

Scoreboard and 3 Stars Logo.

NOSE, 30 team Rom, EARE, SmozROM

Custom Uniforms.

Center Ice and selection Logos and Banners.

Changing Ron Barr to Foster Hewitt

Splash screens

Being able to make roms from different eras

WBF

Many more!!!

BUT,

Much of the beauty of this game is it's simplicity!
To much and we could ruin it.

Edited by CoachMac

I assume this is for Sega, since I'd recommend some small fixes for SNES.

- Fighting and blood back in.

- Round robin/double or triple elimination tournament :) 

- 4 on 4, 3 on 3 options for game play or OT only.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2017 at 9:43 AM, Pearate said:

I love this, you are on a project ?

The game has to be remade in the same style as Street Fighter 2, Super Turbo HD, or SWOS for Xbox Live. It has to happen. It's going to happen. In some respects I regret spending so many years editing the game when I could have been figuring out ways to remake it. 

I have a blueprint for the whole thing; it's several hundred files. I doubt if it would ever have the same namesake, but I think offering all proceeds for game sales to a charity, such as Hockey Fights Cancer, might help game obtain an NHL License. But the best way would probably just let players edit, create and share their own NHL teams through something like the Steam Platform.

I'm not crazy enough to think project like this could be undertaken by the community, or any community for that matter. It requires the kind of capital you can only get from launching multiple businesses and working 120 hour work weeks for years; which is how I'm going to raise it. I honesty don't think the money could be raised from Kickstarter, at least not enough to create a worthy remake. Remake really is a dirty word when you look at what some of the stuff that has been churned out by major 3rd party developers in the last few years that are just quick cash-grabs.

There is no time table, but this is one of my life goals. In fact, it's a goal I write down every day.

I didn't spent 20 years of my life playing and editing this game just to leave it here.

There's no way anyones going to throw dirt on me until it's done. 

• Like 3

Hey Clockwise, I like your determination!  That said, I *do* think a kickstarter could do this, if it was handled correctly. (A polished presentation, with a solid gameplan.)

IMO, the correct route is to get Jim Simmons, the original developer who made this game 99% of what it is, on board.  Get him to agree to $100k to make a public domain version of the game (or even freeware or whatever pay-what-you-want is called) and get volunteers to do everything else (pixel art, music, project management, etc.).  Then, with Jim S. on board, and a solid plan in place, go to crowd-funding for the 100k or whatever he agrees to.

If Jim S doesn't agree. you would have to have some sort of demo contest to establish if someone was good enough to code it.  But I do believe the coding can be a 1 person job. (It was when he did it, using assembly language and an empty text file, in only a few months.  Using modern languages and IDEs and existing code libraries will greatly speed things up.)  That said, few people and possibly no one alive is as good as Jim Simmons would be for this job.

Edit: Here is a message where I proposed this originally...

Edited by aqualizard
typo

3 hours ago, clockwise said:

The game has to be remade in the same style as Street Fighter 2, Super Turbo HD, or SWOS for Xbox Live.

WHAT?  Wow, I did not know that.  I nearly flunked 7th grade because of SF2.  And I currently own an Xbox.  Game Over.

51 minutes ago, kingraph said:

WHAT?  Wow, I did not know that.  I nearly flunked 7th grade because of SF2.  And I currently own an Xbox.  Game Over.

Yep.

Anyone left playing know is probably very high tier. Playing SF2 pros can be infuriating.

4 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Hey Clockwise, I like your determination!  That said, I *do* think a kickstarter could do this, if it was handled correctly. (A polished presentation, with a solid gameplan.)

IMO, the correct route is to get Jim Simmons, the original developer who made this game 99% of what it is, on board.  Get him to agree to $100k to make a public domain version of the game (or even freeware or whatever pay-what-you-want is called) and get volunteers to do everything else (pixel art, music, project management, etc.).  Then, with Jim S. on board, and a solid plan in place, go to crowd-funding for the 100k or whatever he agrees to.

If Jim S doesn't agree. you would have to have some sort of demo contest to establish if someone was good enough to code it.  But I do believe the coding can be a 1 person job. (It was when he did it, using assembly language and an empty text file, in only a few months.  Using modern languages and IDEs and existing code libraries will greatly speed things up.)  That said, few people and possibly no one alive is as good as Jim Simmons would be for this job.

Edit: Here is a message where I proposed this originally...

There is a lot of 8-bit-style talent available. Assembling a team is more about culture than strategy, to me. I know there are plenty of super talented artists, programmers and sound engineers who would do the game justice. Games like Shovel Knight, Castle Crashers, and River City Ransom Underground are just scratching the surface. 

Anyway, I don't know if Simmons would even be interested in being involved in that type of development cycle at his age. 

EDIT: what would the legal ramifications be of him handing off the source code and assets (if he even has it / them)? 

• 2 years later...

*kicks a few cans* Hey! What happened here? Get this kickstarter going already! ;) No but seriously.. The amount of fuzz around this game nowadays is crazy. Most everyday there's references to it from official NHL posts.. Oh, just a season mode and some increased difficulty... *dreams*

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 1:48 PM, Xstioph said:

*kicks a few cans* Hey! What happened here? Get this kickstarter going already! ;) No but seriously.. The amount of fuzz around this game nowadays is crazy. Most everyday there's references to it from official NHL posts.. Oh, just a season mode and some increased difficulty... *dreams*

Nothing about what I said has changed. 

All in good time.

I just discovered this thread, although I've often had similar thoughts about a groundup re-make.  It was more in the line of "if I win the lottery and have several hundred thousand or more dollars to play around with" for a pet project.

My thoughts on such a re-make would be start with re-creating the game as closely as possible, then add:

-Robust team/player editor making it easy to share teams/players/logos/goal horns-songs... (would be amazing to start a game by choosing team, then choose roster year, then choose uniform....)
-Online play, maybe leagues
-Enhanced sprites
-Enhanced gameplay options/sliders (bigger rink, lane filling on offense so Ws and Cs switch when appropriate and wingers will go to slot for one-timers like NHL 96+, options to boost/nerf hit power...passing...etc...)
-More gameplay modes like 4v4, 3v3...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, naples39 said:

I just discovered this thread, although I've often had similar thoughts about a groundup re-make.  It was more in the line of "if I win the lottery and have several hundred thousand or more dollars to play around with" for a pet project.

My thoughts on such a re-make would be start with re-creating the game as closely as possible, then add:

-Robust team/player editor making it easy to share teams/players/logos/goal horns-songs... (would be amazing to start a game by choosing team, then choose roster year, then choose uniform....)
-Online play, maybe leagues
-Enhanced sprites
-Enhanced gameplay options/sliders (bigger rink, lane filling on offense so Ws and Cs switch when appropriate and wingers will go to slot for one-timers like NHL 96+, options to boost/nerf hit power...passing...etc...)
-More gameplay modes like 4v4, 3v3...

If I ever win the lottery, we're doing this! haha

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

we share life goals.  I have many games in my head!  but... I don't play the lottery and I don't grind 120 hours per week of high-pay hustle.  here's to it working out somehow.  I imagine a toggle button for many preformatted modes based on the variety of versions of the game, hacks since, our great ideas to improve it all.  winning?