NHL'94 Forums

NHL'94 speed runs

halifax

Apparently you can go for a NHL'94 speed run world record. Fastest to 10 goals.

https://www.speedrun.com/run/y97orenm

The current record is around 6 minutes (as of april 18, 2017). I'm figuring someone on here could get this south of 3 minutes.

Anyways...giver if you want buds.

• 1 month later...

I once used save sates as to try and get as many goals as possible in a single game, but... I got bored and never finished it :P I was curious to see if the game could handle tripple didgit scoring as well, but I cannot for the life of me remember how far I got. :D 

On topic though.. I could only bare to watch until the 3rd goal. Audio sync issues and an annoying pic of a dog along with not being certainly impressed with the "speedrun" (dude's not even setting def. control to manual, wtf). I'd be shocked if anyone here would not be able to get 10 goals in than 3 minutes (game time). Pretty certain I loaded previous save state if it took more than 15 seconds to score another one (in the example stated above).

PS. Ooooh.. Took another look at that video and it said "3rd place", and it turns out I'm right on the money. Someone named "whitman_price_" scores 10 goals in 2:34 game time. :) That's more like it. https://www.speedrun.com/run/z131n77m

9 minutes ago, Premium said:

You can score every 2-3 seconds. So the record should be no more than 30 seconds.

Fastest consistent score you can do is 7 seconds, 6 max.  I've seen 5 seconds rarely, but not sure how you can do 2-3 seconds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

Fastest consistent score you can do is 7 seconds, 6 max.  I've seen 5 seconds rarely, but not sure how you can do 2-3 seconds. 

For charging to the net and doing a deke, I wonder about 5 seconds... I would like to see video evidence.  (Not saying I 100% disbelieve, just saying I need proof.)  

6 seconds for sure.  We have all done it, I think.

I think Plabax is talking about a pass from center ice right off the face off.  I am not sure how quick it is, but yeah, I think faster than 5 seconds.  Again, let's see some video!

Win Faceoff --> Five-hole pass shot with the fastest pass possible (ex. Eklund or Selanne) takes less than three seconds.

It's so close to three seconds that three seconds will appear to have ticked off the clock unless you start the faceoff really close to the start of a second. So say it takes 2.995 seconds to execute this technique... only two seconds will tick off the clock if you can shoot the puck at a high enoug h speed within the first .004 milliseconds of a new second.

Rare, but I've seen it happen once. The three second goal I've seen ten or so times.

It won't be the goalie 10 times in a row.  

42 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

For charging to the net and doing a deke, I wonder about 5 seconds... I would like to see video evidence.  (Not saying I 100% disbelieve, just saying I need proof.)  

6 seconds for sure.  We have all done it, I think.

I think Plabax is talking about a pass from center ice right off the face off.  I am not sure how quick it is, but yeah, I think faster than 5 seconds.  Again, let's see some video!

5 seconds happens when you win the faceoff to a fast winger, zip around and do a straight pass shot to the post.  I've done that plenty of times.  I've seen the 3 second Plabax example once or twice, but it wouldn't work 10 times in a row.  

Why not? If you're talking save states, then you would be aiming to push the game to its absolute limits. If it's possible, it can be done.

Edited by Premium

So I can easily score consistently in 7 seconds using save states so I could get the record to 70 seconds of game time or 1:10. What that means in real time I don't know.

The 2,3 second shot I may have only seen once or twice, and by accident.

I've never personally, I don't think, done a 5 second goal. I have done the 6 second with a pass shot. Maybe it was 5. The only reason I did it was desperation though. In a speed run, with save states it could be a could way to go about it. If you are using save states, I'm pretty sure you can win every faceoff.

Oh and as for Aqua's question with the deke, I don't think it can be done in 6 seconds. 7 for a regular shot.

Edited by kylewat

I've only had one time I scored under 5 seconds.

I one timed the face off with Brett Hull from the left wing, which went like a bullet past the goalie.  The initial pass off the face off wasn't smooth, but somehow got bobbled and as I was pounding C to check, Hull just one timed it.

Easily one of my most crazy goals, but unlike Seth, who one times off the boards behind the blue line regularly (when he played), I've never been able to repeat the feat :(

And the original post is based on a record, so you can't use save state edits.

I had an idea for a "speed run" of sorts: how fast can you get each one of your team's players to record a point? I was just trying myself: in 20 minute periods, with no penalties and no line changes (besides editing the lines after each player records a point), using skip's 2017 playoff ROM, I was able to do it with the Penguins against the Predators with 10:11 left in the third period.

I had ideas on expanding on that and making something like a points system, based on

• how quickly you complete the run
  • how efficiently you complete the run (i.e., in as few goals as possible)
  • if the run is done in a shutout
  • and so on

But for now, I'm curious to see how quickly everyone can do this!

12 hours ago, The Dopefish said:

I had an idea for a "speed run" of sorts: how fast can you get each one of your team's players to record a point? I was just trying myself: in 20 minute periods, with no penalties and no line changes (besides editing the lines after each player records a point), using skip's 2017 playoff ROM, I was able to do it with the Penguins against the Predators with 10:11 left in the third period.

I had ideas on expanding on that and making something like a points system, based on

• how quickly you complete the run
  • how efficiently you complete the run (i.e., in as few goals as possible)
  • if the run is done in a shutout
  • and so on

But for now, I'm curious to see how quickly everyone can do this!

Some of the rosters are much smaller than others. If you look in the instruction booklet you can see them listed. I believe the expansion teams have what looks to be about half the players of some other teams.

The arguments about how fast you can do something using saved gamestates is silly... it factors out skill and focuses on having the time (and OCD?) to do something absurd.  Legitimate entries should not allow this. (Short of video taping the event in real time to be reviewed, I am not sure how to prevent saving gamestates though?)

Now, how long would it take someone to score 10 goals on a Gens without saving gamestates?  With the user choosing teams (like DET vs ANH)?  I would say anything less then 3 minutes is good, and less than 2:30 is amazing!  2:30 would average out to 15 seconds per goal.  Pretty good.  I imagine if you got extremely lucky, and had weeks to kill, had OCD (among other mental issues), and won pretty well every face off, you might even crack 2 minutes (12 sec per goal).  Now, for 10 sec/goal average, that is 1:40, and I do not think this would be statistically possible even with all the luck and weeks of attempts.

Edit: I just can't let this go... I think to crack 1:40 you really would have to win every face off.  If faceoffs are assumed to be 50/50, you will win 10 in a row roughly 1 in a thousand attempts (where each "attempt" is a set of 10 tries).  I don't think any non Rain man human would have the patience to restart over and over every time the lost a faceoff... but if they did, I think it would take many months or years to crack 1:40...

Edited by aqualizard

17 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

The arguments about how fast you can do something using saved gamestates is silly... it factors out skill and focuses on having the time (and OCD?) to do something absurd.  Legitimate entries should not allow this. (Short of video taping the event in real time to be reviewed, I am not sure how to prevent saving gamestates though?)

Now, how long would it take someone to score 10 goals on a Gens without saving gamestates?  With the user choosing teams (like DET vs ANH)?  I would say anything less then 3 minutes is good, and less than 2:30 is amazing!  2:30 would average out to 15 seconds per goal.  Pretty good.  I imagine if you got extremely lucky, and had weeks to kill, had OCD (among other mental issues), and won every face off, you might even crack 2 minutes (12 sec per goal).  Now, for 10 sec/goal average, that is 1:40, and I do not think this would be statistically possible even with all the luck and weeks of attempts.

The speedrun community, from my limited understanding,encourages savestates and TAS (tool assisted speedruns).  It's about maximizing the possibility of a game down to the millisecond.  I guess they also have non TAS records.  

I've done 10 goals at the 2 minute mark a few times, but it's very rare.  Nothing is impossible, but  I agree 1:40 would be extremely difficult without savestates.  

33 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Now, how long would it take someone to score 10 goals on a Gens without saving gamestates?  With the user choosing teams (like DET vs ANH)?  I would say anything less then 3 minutes is good, and less than 2:30 is amazing!  2:30 would average out to 15 seconds per goal.  Pretty good.  I imagine if you got extremely lucky, and had weeks to kill, had OCD (among other mental issues), and won pretty well every face off, you might even crack 2 minutes (12 sec per goal).  Now, for 10 sec/goal average, that is 1:40, and I do not think this would be statistically possible even with all the luck and weeks of attempts.

Edit: I just can't let this go... I think to crack 1:40 you really would have to win every face off.  If faceoffs are assumed to be 50/50, you will win 10 in a row roughly 1 in a thousand attempts (where each "attempt" is a set of 10 tries).  I don't think any non Rain man human would have the patience to restart over and over every time the lost a faceoff... but if they did, I think it would take many months or years to crack 1:40...

The problem is even a bit harder than that in my estimation. There is a chance that even if you win the faceoff the skater occasionally bobbles it leading to a turnover (how my loss to AJ happened in Ko94 in OT :-(; it is a disaster because everyone moves into offensive position! ) That would lower the chances of routinely getting a 7 second goal.