NHL'94 Forums

Old EA NHL Games on PC (2002 and older)

Seeing how I've grown to become disinterested with the recent NHL outings from EA Sports ("It's Still the Same!"), I had the itch to go back to what I perceive to be the second funnest hockey gaming experience I had next to NHL '94 (on the Sega Genesis of course). 

I got both NHL '96 and NHL 2002 running on Windows 10, and now I'm in search of any add-ons that may be available for any of the NHL PC games from 1996-2002. Luckily we had an awesome forum member archive a ton of great NHL '95 PC files, so I was hoping that maybe someone out there archived and saved some of the great add-on files that were available to us back in the glory days of hockey gaming on the PC. 

Funny enough, I actually used to do very detailed NHL rosters dating back to NHL '95 and I eventually wound up with a job in the industry thanks to my attention to detail ;) . If you guys ever had the chance to enjoy the NHL 2K games and appreciated the classic rosters, that was my work :) You may notice a slight slant in teams that covered the NHL '94 era of teams, and that wasn't any coincidence! 

I'm hoping there's some underground network of NHL PC gamers who are still lurking out there...

• Like 4

Glad you enjoyed it! I think that may have been our best game of the series, I was particularly happy with what we did with our franchise mode, alas, the NBA series always took priority and sadly there is no competition for EA, hence my reason to go back and revisit games that I enjoyed versus having to spend money on a slight upgrade. 

The fact that the game is still a port of the 360/PS3 era of games just rubs me the wrong way. The games on the current generation of consoles just looks, feels and plays like a dated game. Having played some NHL '98 and NHL '02 on the PC lately, I can honestly say that the CPU AI is far better and smarter in those games than they are in the present games. 

Good thing this community is still alive though to keep the tradition of fun hockey games alive, and updated!

• Like 3

I would be an NHL PC gamer still if EA hadn't decided the PC market wasn't worth their time.  Those older games have their limits (I've had problems with getting dual analog controls to work correctly, for example) but they are the best PC hockey games we have.

For those interested, I was able to find a page with some of the most useful editors for the NHL PC games. 

http://www.dsgambelluri.ignitiondomain.com/nhlrostertutorial.html

A shame that running an archive search on some of the classic add-on sites turns up no results.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

I played NHL 98 to NHL 2006 on PC.

My favourite was 2003 (with Iginla on the front). That game was so much fun. I used to do fantasy drafts all the time. I loved the player icons (target icon for shot accuracy, hammer icon for big hitter, stick for hard shot). I think you could redirect shots and bat in rebounds out of the air.

Good times.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello Ziggy

NHL 2002, what a game! I've saved many add-ons from that era. Only problem, I can't load them through my old gfxpak applications on my actual computer.

If you know why, thanks for the help. I'm joining one add-on to this reply, the national teams jerseys, as an example.

Equipes nationales.exe

As said I've found all my addons for NHL 2002, including goalies gears cyberfaces etc.

I've managed to install them on my newest computer. Just tell me what kind of addons you'd like.

Edited by mitch13

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 2:58 AM, Kiba said:

Have you also tried Waybackmachine? https://archive.org/web/

I have, unfortunately pretty much all of the sites that I can remember from those days don't function (at least the download links appeared to all be dead). 

On 12/8/2017 at 7:24 AM, mitch13 said:

As said I've found all my addons for NHL 2002, including goalies gears cyberfaces etc.

I've managed to install them on my newest computer. Just tell me what kind of addons you'd like.

That's awesome to hear! I was mostly looking at any available addon, from faces for player profiles and in-game, arenas, goalie gear, arenas, etc. I believe there was also a TV-broadcast add-on as well that altered the in-game overlays to represent whichever broadcast you choose to load. 

Man do I miss hockey gaming on the PC. 

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of the PC DOS version of 94, named just NHL Hockey.

It had its quirks, but the presentation was phenomenal if you had a sound blaster(gotta hear Ron Bar and all the sound effects), the game play decent for its time, and the ability to do full seasons was very appealing.

I never became proficient at it, but it was enough to keep me interested in a sport I couldn't watch on TV till many years later.

• Like 2

Ziggy, I need your email through a private message to send you some addons through wetransfer for example.

Or, maybe, I should give here the link from wetransfer, but it will only be available 7 days once published. I'm sorry but I don't have this broadcast addon. But I've got a lot of other addons from the seasons 00-01 until 03-04, all for NHL 2002.

Edited by mitch13
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 9:12 PM, Blake said:

If only 2K came back... You were the one behind all of those classic rosters (90s Wings, Sabres, etc.)?

Indeed I was. I forget which year it was since I haven't played the games in so long (might have been 2K7), but we went all out that one-year with 50+ classic teams I believe. It was tons of research, like finding out info on the 1980 US and Russian rosters, and hockey teams like the old Canadiens dynasties prior to the 1970s, but I thoroughly enjoyed the project. So many hours spent working on those things, I think I have spreadsheets etched into my retina as a result.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mitch13 said:

Ziggy, I need your email through a private message to send you some addons through wetransfer for example.

Or, maybe, I should give here the link from wetransfer, but it will only be available 7 days once published. I'm sorry but I don't have this broadcast addon. But I've got a lot of other addons from the seasons 00-01 until 03-04, all for NHL 2002.

That's great to hear! I'd suggest publishing the link here for all other members to grab. That's very awesome of you too. Thanks a bunch!

On January 11, 2018 at 6:43 PM, Ziggy Stardust said:

Indeed I was. I forget which year it was since I haven't played the games in so long (might have been 2K7), but we went all out that one-year with 50+ classic teams I believe. It was tons of research, like finding out info on the 1980 US and Russian rosters, and hockey teams like the old Canadiens dynasties prior to the 1970s, but I thoroughly enjoyed the project. So many hours spent working on those things, I think I have spreadsheets etched into my retina as a result.

That's neat. Do you remember what factored into the overalls? Might give me an idea for ratings for '94 ROMs.

I miss the days of hockey gaming when it was 2K vs EA. The biggest asset to EA was the PC game modding. The only reason the community was so much bigger was due to that. I honestly feel that if 2K sports made a PC port, that it would probably have forced EA to push the "next gen" version (in 2008) to PC. But they had no competition so they left PC gamers with a dead-ass version after 2005.

I used to mod the crap out of those games. Sometimes when I feel the urge, I'll whip something up for NHL 2001 and throw it in for fun just to see if I've still got the skills. :lol:

• Like 2

Here is the link to some elementary addons for NHL 2002.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9c1688b3b6bddb17ff1bf03210c2a86b20180122234007/e091070b9cab83bae31bf554f4d8c64920180122234007/fcf369

Hurry up, the link will be dead in 7 days.

The roster (nhl2k) is NHL and national teams during OG 2002 in Salt Lake. Gfxpak is needed in your main NHL 02 folder to run the bat files and the different photos etc you want to install.

Edited by mitch13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but Mitch13 by any chance do you some addons for NHL 2000? Edit, I also have NHL 2002 so if that is still possible to get. It's a shame I did not save these things as a kid.

Edited by 1CoolDad2019
typo

Since most templates are gone, I'm currently working on redrawing/recreating them. It may take some time but when I have a free moment I've been working on them as much as possible.

*NHL 2001 Temps.

Can do others if needed. 

Hello there….got a wide collection of jerseys for nhl 2002...I am posting here a sample of my collection…..all my ncaa jerseys….They all go into the 'teams' folder inside the 'user' folder on the main nhl 2002 folder.  You can get it into the game through 'custom teams' ...Click on the jersey icon at the bottom right and the menu will come up and you select your desired ncaa team for your custom team.   

Don't load the entire folder of my file as It may crash.  Pick the jerseys you want and if the game crashes, remove some files from the 'team' and the game should work.

Any questions? feel free to contact me...I have several nhl 2002 stuff that I may post here in a near future.

ncaa2002jerseys.7z

ooops...a quick note….I did not do all the jerseys...some are adapted from various sources on the internet too numerous to say but my goal is to adapt whatever was done in ncaa for nhl 2002...I do not own ownership or credits on some of the jerseys...just thought I let you know….I do not mean to offend anyone here.  I just want to able people to have access to ncaa jerseys for nhl 2002...that's it...hope you will have fun with the jerseys.

BONUS!! I am in a giving mood today...this one I have made..the ncaa ice that you could have when playing 'custom teams'...please replace the arenapc.viv file on your 'gamedata' folder...BUT FIRST...Back up your arenapc.viv file BEFORE placing my ncaa file.  the file also updates various nhl ices on the nhl 2002 game.  So there you go.  you will be able to be in a ncaa mood with my custom fantasy ice for ncaa teams….any questions, complaints or just say hit? feel free to write me.

ncaa arena for nhl 2002.7z

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2017 at 2:40 AM, Ziggy Stardust said:

Seeing how I've grown to become disinterested with the recent NHL outings from EA Sports ("It's Still the Same!"), I had the itch to go back to what I perceive to be the second funnest hockey gaming experience I had next to NHL '94 (on the Sega Genesis of course). 

I got both NHL '96 and NHL 2002 running on Windows 10, and now I'm in search of any add-ons that may be available for any of the NHL PC games from 1996-2002. Luckily we had an awesome forum member archive a ton of great NHL '95 PC files, so I was hoping that maybe someone out there archived and saved some of the great add-on files that were available to us back in the glory days of hockey gaming on the PC. 

Funny enough, I actually used to do very detailed NHL rosters dating back to NHL '95 and I eventually wound up with a job in the industry thanks to my attention to detail ;) . If you guys ever had the chance to enjoy the NHL 2K games and appreciated the classic rosters, that was my work :) You may notice a slight slant in teams that covered the NHL '94 era of teams, and that wasn't any coincidence! 

I'm hoping there's some underground network of NHL PC gamers who are still lurking out there...

About the NHL 2K games, you talking about stuff like NHL 2K and 2K2 on Dreamcast? Was any of that your work? :)