NHL'94 Forums

NHL 98 2017 (18?)

lance uppercut

NHL 98 with current rosters, as of today, 08/06/17.  A few things to note.

All I did was I used NOSE to copy rosters and some jerseys from other roms which have been posted here already, so thanks to naples, skip, slapshot, and thetome (also wboy for creating nose, it's awesome)   I trust you don't mind, as it seems to be a good community here.  I did a few players and jerseys myself, but not much.  Lines are accurate as well.

As this is based on the 98 game, there are teams missing.  Vegas, obviously, and also Winnipeg, Minnesota, Nashville, and Columbus.  The divisions are all fucky too, just like they were back in the day.  I really wish Winnipeg and Minnesota in particular were there, but this is what I've done so far.

I have no idea how to change team ratings, and I have a feeling they influence sim results.  EARE only works for 94, and I'm a beginner at best.  If anyone knows of another easy way to edit those, I'd be glad to know how.  I'm not optimistic about that possibility though.

There are a few good young players missing (Montour, Jost, McAvoy, Barzal, etc).  Some day soon this will bug me enough and I will add them and post a new rom.  I did create Hischier and Patrick though.  Also, I'm a Canucks fan (I'm from BC so I come by it honestly), so you'll notice that team has no vets, only the younger prospects.  That's because I made this for me to have fun with.  The rest of the teams should have normal rosters.  I'll fix that also when I post a new rom.

NHLPA 93 is my favorite for gameplay, but it's a damn shame it and 94 have no season mode.  That's why I made this, to be able to play seasons.  I know it's not exactly what most everyone here is into, but I feel like there must be some others who enjoy season play most.  I think 98 has decent AI for this era of games.  I like to play with difficulty set to all-star and game speed set to low.  I find that's the best.  The 2 line passes are a bummer, but prefer to be able to decrease the game speed.

I also made a kind of weird rom based on the elitserien 96 game, I'll post that shortly.  I'm no good at editing graphics (or anything other than rosters and jerseys), so it's incomplete.

Also, I'm working on a version of the 94 PC game (it was just called NHL Hockey), because it's the game I grew up playing as a kid with my brothers and friends.  I feel like it's the best combination of gameplay, decent AI, old timey graphics, in depth stats keeping, and season mode (fight me!).  I think it's great, but it's more time consuming than these sega roms, and I'm mostly just having fun playing these 2 for now.  I will finish it someday.

Let me know about any mistakes I made.  Of course I am open to any feedback or constructive criticism. 

Cheers, and enjoy the game.

NHL 98 17.md.bin

Edited by lance uppercut
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Thanks.  I knew someone would be interested in it.

I actually debated changing the home whites, but I left it because of personal preference.  I kind of wish the NHL would go back to home whites.

Anyway, I can definitely change them, it just takes a bit of time.  I'll add it to the list for when I work on this rom some more.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Wayne! Sorry to jump in here, but looks like you're having trouble finding the recent updates. Naples does an updated 2018 ROM, and so do me + Slapshot67. Both include Vegas, and our ROM has the NHL94 Hockey Hall of Fame roster as the 32nd team (sorry not sure the 32nd team on the other ROM).

If you like old-school rosters, CoachMac has a lot of great ROMs from previous decades to play, too. You can find the updated ROM lists here for Gens --> http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/forum/171-genesis-roms/

I hope this helps!

-Skip

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone was working on a roster update for '98 or know a different site to find one. I do also enjoy '98 a bit more than '94 so any help would be appreciated as I really enjoy playing while the season is going on. Thanks in advance!

35 minutes ago, tinko08 said:

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone was working on a roster update for '98 or know a different site to find one. I do also enjoy '98 a bit more than '94 so any help would be appreciated as I really enjoy playing while the season is going on. Thanks in advance!

Roster updates are pretty simple to do using the NOSE editor, except that it's not (as far as I know) possible to update the team logos and graphics (other than uniform colours).

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, smozoma said:

Roster updates are pretty simple to do using the NOSE editor, except that it's not (as far as I know) possible to update the team logos and graphics (other than uniform colours).

I may do that but I am not knowledgeable enough of the players to edit ratings and such as well.

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2017 at 1:10 PM, Boston Boy said:

Use this rom to edit the rosters and graphics for Vegas, Minnesota, Nashville, and Columbus.  Also add some of the other young guns and make homes dark.

NHL 18 BETA98.bin

On 5/30/2018 at 8:55 AM, Boston Boy said:

Sorry for that post on August 14th!  Really rude of me.

No this was a life saver for me. Im a for real n00b when it comes to hacking roms. I just downloaded NOSE and got it to work and couldnt find a '98 .bin file anywhere (im sure there was some easy way I could have created one but again.. n00b) so thank you! I am trying to get the 2020 rosters on 98 with a few tweaks and adjustments.

As for something I dont see anyone talking about anywhere. 98 on Genesis is the GREATEST hockey game of all time for the simple fact that star players had "Secret Moves" but I cant find them in the code anywhere to add them to 2020 players. Example if you are holding the D-Pad in a direction and press START while using Gretzky he will do a real neat zig-zag and Lindros has a checking while shooting ability. There are a total of 14 of these "Secret Moves" and supposedly 41 players have one but I can't find them all or locate them in the code. (not to mention I hardly know what I am doing)

Maybe one of you fuzzywigs could help me out with this during this "social distancing" time. I would also love to add that 2020 94 spash screen that slapshot67 created.

I am sure once you all figure out that this was the GREATEST old skool hockey game EVER! you will understand my plight.

I will give updates if I have any (Doubtful)

Love and Peace to all!

Edited by NHL98FAN
  • Like 1

Those special moves are in 97 too...I think. There was something weird with them where if you traded for guys you couldn't do their special move on the new team anymore. So lame. Probably to prevent little punks like me from stacking my team. I don't know if this effects the code somehow or anything but it might.

I was a nintendo consumer most of my life so I never learned about special moves until a few years ago when I started collecting roms.

Ive made some headway with that 98 bin file I started with using that NOSE editor. Some of the jerseys had already been done and had home darks and Ive almost gotten done with that. But then I noticed that the columbus and nashville team was using the EA and THQ team slots so I will have to switch those to the all star teams so that all 31 teams are available. Not sure how to make them available to use in season mode but that will be a bridge I cross when it presents itself. And after scouring the interwebs for the past few days I have come to the conclusion that 2-line pass cannot be removed so I will forgo that ominous endeavor. Should be a breeze when I get to rosters. I will be using current EA stats as best as possible. And I wont pull any little fanboy moves giving crosby all 99s. But it almost pains me to be able to edit rosters and not put Jagr on here. I mean cmon he was in EVERY nhl title until 19. I havent even thought about editing tiles yet... 

For the record I am a die hard Blues fan.

• 1 month later...

Update. I have finished most of the nhl98 rom. Cannot figure out how to add the new teams to create 32 total teams. What I did though was add the nsh, min, vgk, cbj, wpg to the usa, can, world and allstar rosters. I switched the original 98 allstar rosters with the EA and THQ rosters.

Tile Editor is definitely a steep learning curve that I will not be taking on at this time. If anyone can hack 32 teams and edit the tiles for the new teams you'd be doing Gods work.

I also may have figured out how to keep star player moves. Somehow Grandlund kept Kariya's zig zag move when I edited the nashville roster over the allstar west lineup. Has something to do with the HEX ID I think.

PM for file.

• 2 years later...