NHL'94 Forums

An NHL94 Kaillera Server

jer_33

A recent conversation had me wondering if there has ever been an NHL94 Kaillera server?

I've done some research, and figure that I can get something running for around 10-15 dollars per month. 

From what I see, I'd be looking at renting a linux server and installing the Kaillera Server code. It's going to take some serious reading for me to get up to speed with linux server commands - and would appreciate any advice that any of the existing members of this forum may have.

For the server itself, I'd love to have options with regards to the location of the physical server, or perhaps even a couple that prove to have the best North American connections for our players. 

The plan would be to have instructions for new players to play on the server initially (saving them the step of installing Hamachi) and getting them playing sooner. 

The other issue with this, is that the newest Kaillera version used with GENS does not have a "client/server" option, you have to use the old Kaillera version. Is there a chance or option to add this option to our default GENS version again?

Thanks guys. I'm willing to put up the money to rent a server to test things out for 12 months (most have annual contracts), but would like to line things up if anyone has any advice.

I guess, just for simplicity.

This came up in a conversation about recruiting new players.

I wondered If you could just give new players instructions to download GENS, open netplay and find the NHL94 server - it would mean that they are playing sooner, and having fun with it.

In my mind - this is for newbies and/or new Classic players to just get them playing - with perhaps fringe benefits for 2v2 players.

• Like 1

Hey Jer_33,
just so I can wrap my head around it, how much easier would it be to use a server as you describe?

Would this just get rid of Hamachi?  And if we get rid of Hamachi, would it actually add *more* steps, because configuring Kaillera would be harder?

Not being a naysayer, just trying to wrap my head around it. 

(And that is very generous of you offering to pay for it... before you did that we definitely have to make sure it is worth it.)

Well, with a dedicated NHL94 server, new players would have to use the old version of Kaillera  - like we do for 2v2. But it would mean the instructions for playing would look like this:

Download GENS, download rom, click netplay, find NHL94 server and host/join.

What I envision, is more people willing to try connecting online - and playing each other. Would love to have C level guys playing exis and warming up against each other before Classic begins - rather than being led to the slaughter that is a B division.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Well, with a dedicated NHL94 server, new players would have to use the old version of Kaillera  - like we do for 2v2. But it would mean the instructions for playing would look like this:

Download GENS, download rom, click netplay, find NHL94 server and host/join.

What I envision, is more people willing to try connecting online - and playing each other. Would love to have C level guys playing exis and warming up against each other before Classic begins - rather than being led to the slaughter that is a B division.

Pig.  Ripe.  Slaughter.

What we do best here at NHL94, but the ones who survive the slaughter, and stick around are so much better for it IMO, but I know it's not for everyone.

I put up the NHL'94 Kaillera server around '07 that was up for almost a year. Was about as stable as a three leg table; I had to reset it almost daily. You can set rules and stuff for Kaillera so that only specific games can be played, which was kinda-nice.

Was fun while it lasted, but I didn't keep it because a lot of guys were closer to other servers.

Also, this was before P2P Kaillera.