NHL'94 Forums

anyone willing to put in work on a 2018 SNES ROM?

tru

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 2:22 AM, KaBa78 said:

Anyone up for a SNES 2020 Edition. I would have the time in my early shifts, but not quite yet all knoledge for it.

So if anybody would show me the basics i'd give it a try.

I'm still interested in doing an updated version with the teams that are in the game..  @game-winning mullet I don't think anyone has figured out how to add more teams like the sega rom. I haven't had the time to go head first into this project but if other people are willing to try and start, we should at least try. If you want to try and contact Tru, go for it.

• 7 months later...

I received a message from tru in 2016 and now he is banned, heres my reply.

Hi mate, I had some health issues (broken arm, problems with ankles, tendons, shoulder and I am still not 100% healthy /and will never be, life sucks :D/ due to injury) and at the same time I was reinstalling my OS and sorting out all the bookmars (couple of hundreds), then (then=almost four months) was busy with getting back to life. For years  I thought I accidentally deleted my hacking notes (not just NHL94, everything I had about other games) and forum passwords (didnt know what email I used when registering) as well so I decided to take a break for year or two, actually it is almost 5 years now (time flies so fast) before making new profile and posting here again.

Today I found my backup with everything on one of my external harddrive, including passwords, so I am checking whats new here and realizing its been almost five yrs since I visited this forum for the last time.

I have no new discoveries regarding SNES hacking, everything I had found was posted by me in the forums. I remember I was trying to figure out more but it was in the "not possible / too difficult" area, I believe there is nothing or extremely little that can be hacked with simple hexediting or graphic tile editing in SNES version. And who knows if its possible to add teams and do more difficult stuff even with coding knowledge, SNES is not Genesis and it might be impossible to do same stuff like ppl do with Genesis. 

I remember slapshosts goals were discussed here on the forum:

I got plenty of replays with slapshot scoring (SNES). I plan to put them together, create one long video and write some stuff - call it tutorial maybe, how to score this way in SNES NHL 94 because its not that rare as people say (but its not that common as in Genesis version though) and Genesis scoring habits cant be applied to SNES (thats probably the reason why ppl dont know how to score this was coz they try to socre in the same way like in Genesis version, it rarely works). I hope I will put it together next year, its on my have-to-do-this list and its something I want to share with other SNES players. 

Edited by DominikJagr

On 10/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, game-winning mullet said:

I think I found his fairly obvious email address on google's popular server.  Maybe he would work in exile toward the greater good.  I think we should at least ask.  Nobody has done expansion beyond 28 teams for the Super Nintendo, correct?  

On 3/20/2019 at 7:22 AM, KaBa78 said:

Anyone up for a SNES 2020 Edition. I would have the time in my early shifts, but not quite yet all knoledge for it.

So if anybody would show me the basics i'd give it a try.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:35 AM, PenguinFan1985 said:

I'm still interested in doing an updated version with the teams that are in the game..  @game-winning mullet I don't think anyone has figured out how to add more teams like the sega rom. I haven't had the time to go head first into this project but if other people are willing to try and start, we should at least try. If you want to try and contact Tru, go for it.

There is mail address at tru's profile.

About adding teams, editing, knowledge and so on: Adding teams is just too difficult, forget about trying to figure it out without coding knowledge. With it its *maybe* even not possible. If it is, no one tells you without proper investigation and if there hasnt been anyone interested so far, there will hardly be any hackers-newcomers. Take it as it is and work with original 26+2 teams, dont waste your time and dont wait for 30 teams rom to come, you can wait forerver ;-)

All the knowledge about erasing center ice logos, altering jerseys colors and everything else needed for editing and updating the game can be found in SNES subforum, I always explained everything in detail so even people without hacking knowledge should know what to do when they want to change something, usually its step-by-step tutorial and you cant go wrong.

SNES editor for editing players, numbers skills etc. exists, but... 

So keep it on your mind when editing rosters.

Edited by DominikJagr
  • Like 1

Btw, Bud of the year awards are still awarded...

Thats cool. If you dont mind (and you you dont) I am gonna get SNES Bud of the decade award this year. There is another serious contender, tru, but he is banned, so sorry tru, this award is M I N E! :-p ;-)

Edited by DominikJagr

About having all 31 teams in the game:

Make more versions for each season. For instance for 18/19 leave worst 3 teams (those finishing 8th in their divisions) out, Ottawa, New Jersey, LA. That will be main ROM, lets call it version A. In B version, swap Ott, NJ and LA with 3 teams on 7th place, Rangers, Edmonton, Detroit. Thats gonna be rom B. If you need rom with different combinations, for instance having Rangers, New Jersey and Ottawa in the game is important for you, make another one. Dont make things too complicated and swap only worst six teams, not more, coz the rest you already have done and you dont need to make any changes with them, you will save time this way as youre gonna edit just three teams. Then run the rom with teams you want to play with/against. There is no full season in NHL 94 so its not important to have all real teams in the game, its definitely better to have only one edited rom like Genesis players have but its not that huge problem to have couple files prepared and open the one you want to play. 

If you want knowledge about editing, go through whole hacking SNES subforum, read every single thread about hacking and editing. Maybe you can start by reading all post made by me and tru, we were posting in such threads. Make notes and try it on your own, you will learn what to do quickly,  they are basically step by step tutorials... open this utility, open file with the original rom, then press F3, write this, then press INSERT, rewrite 09 09 DA DD to 01 01 02 02 and so on. Do not be scared, it is EASY and SIMPLE, its not hacking, just following tutorials.

If you have no idea about editing players and their skills with the editor, just copy everything from Genesis roms. Wait till someone makes Genesis rom, open it in the Genesis editor, run SNES editor and rewrite/copy players names and their skills. One day, two teams. tru had his own method and made skills according to real players stats, its good but more difficult. Let Genesis players make the hard work and then (ab)use it for SNES updating :-D 

Edited by DominikJagr

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, SNESneedsAhero said:

I hope the people that banned an actively contributing community member understand that they explicitly chose to kill the SNES hacking scene to be rid of a good person that did not fit the caricature they portrayed him as.  it will forever be the large obvious blood stain on the moderating chefs' aprons.  memories of classless, tactless, deceitful, harmful, wasteful practices aimed at eliminating a helpful and generous member should haunt whatever honesty and integrity remains within the souls of those who waged a war over a fun game.  shame.

We're gonna have to work on your diplomacy bud.

Tots and Pears

yeah, well this thread really proved for me that the SNES scene was stifled intentionally.  I lack diplomacy where zero is due, I suppose.  one day I was in here trying to plan the next ROM with others, maybe hand over the reigns or whatever... and then -- poof!  and people didn't know why I wouldn't respond.  and when they figured it out, momentum was lost.  coordinating with the community from outside it didn't work.  so... yeah.  my needed tolerance for treating people diplomatically when I felt the opposite in return wore me down.  checking in from time to time was sad.  it was over.  but, hey -- we can change, yeah?  I do.  I have.  I shall.  so, in my intent to keep the clunky interpersonal whatnots elsewhere, I lean toward the original intent of the thread.  I think we could have a thing done for the playoffs.  certainly by next season if people are still wishing to participate.  I would be happy doing close to half of it, including some of the really gritty ratings and rosters drudgery.  I have long forgotten more than I ever knew, but I think it is doable.  tots and pears, bud?  I suspect that you don't cross over, but if you have hands to put on deck, please join the eventual fun.

• 4 months later...
On 1/15/2020 at 5:55 PM, trudatman said:

yeah, well this thread really proved for me that the SNES scene was stifled intentionally.  I lack diplomacy where zero is due, I suppose.  one day I was in here trying to plan the next ROM with others, maybe hand over the reigns or whatever... and then -- poof!  and people didn't know why I wouldn't respond.  and when they figured it out, momentum was lost.  coordinating with the community from outside it didn't work.  so... yeah.  my needed tolerance for treating people diplomatically when I felt the opposite in return wore me down.  checking in from time to time was sad.  it was over.  but, hey -- we can change, yeah?  I do.  I have.  I shall.  so, in my intent to keep the clunky interpersonal whatnots elsewhere, I lean toward the original intent of the thread.  I think we could have a thing done for the playoffs.  certainly by next season if people are still wishing to participate.  I would be happy doing close to half of it, including some of the really gritty ratings and rosters drudgery.  I have long forgotten more than I ever knew, but I think it is doable.  tots and pears, bud?  I suspect that you don't cross over, but if you have hands to put on deck, please join the eventual fun.

If you edit all the teams lineups, including lines (PP/PK as well), player names, and numbers then I'll do all the ratings.