NHL'94 Forums

anyone willing to put in work on a 2018 SNES ROM?

tru

I really don't think I am doing another Ninety Flow any time soon, but I would be willing to split the work on a 2018 SNES thing with somebody willing to actually put in work.  it is a lot of work.  a lot.  it is a very rewarding project, selfishly.  the residual rewards in spreading the love are a solid bonus aspect.  but... it cannot pay, so it has to be its own reward.  you don't need to be an established member, but you would need to demonstrate an ability to run the necessary programs and be willing to conspire through most of the drudgery before branching off into separate projects or finalizing a joint gig like those Genesis dudes do.  I am sorry to have not continued into infinity with my project, but the loss of behindthenet.ca took away key data and my time has been of too much value to devote the full month of solid attention that these take me WITH that crucial source being up.  blah, blah, blah -- I am not officially retired, just needing a partner.  holler if you aren't too shy.

Edited by tru

(not interested myself, but) What specific work do you need help with? I think laying out what you need from potential helpers could help bring them out of the woodwork. 

yeah, maen... I don't know... any of it.  could be simple like using the editor to move, reweight, renumber players, overwrite retirees with rookies.  could be data/opinion collection and math for certain ratings.  maybe setting lines based on current games, once the thing is close.  working that keyboard and mouse, running the editor, nothing major except the time and effort commitments.  I have used my baby's momma to math and roster in years past.  somebody not as immediately here to collaborate would need to commit proper chunks of time to bust stuff out.  40% of the work would probably suffice.  thank you for asking and forwarding the conversation -- I appreciate it.  it would be awesome to get back into making games.

Maybe make it easy/straightforward for someone.

What is the first thing you need, and how do they do it? You want them to take the old team rosters, and make a list of removed, moved, and new players?

• smozoma changed the title to anyone willing to put in work to help make my next updated ROM?

I want to collaborate more than dictate, but, because I have the experience, I can lead based on what somebody is willing to do.

I don't appreciate having my words changed without consultation.  it is especially tough when the edit changes implications from intent and paints the posting party with attributed words not used by the member.  others see not the actions of the overzealous staff (trying to help but letting bias creep in), leading to further failures in communication.  the patterns of staff involvement in my account are representative demonstrations of the concept of overkill.  many of the actions are unnecessarily punitive and based on reputation.  others are just mean outbursts of evil.  I understand that this particular example came about not from ill intent, but from wanting to help others decipher my logic.

I have edited the title of the thread.  if it needs to be further changed, please communicate.  how many other words of mine have been filtered through the biases of an overly assured editor not quite understanding the original intent?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tru said:

I want to collaborate more than dictate, but, because I have the experience, I can lead based on what somebody is willing to do.

I don't appreciate having my words changed without consultation.  it is especially tough when the edit changes implications from intent and paints the posting party with attributed words not used by the member.  others see not the actions of the overzealous staff (trying to help but letting bias creep in), leading to further failures in communication.  the patterns of staff involvement in my account are representative demonstrations of the concept of overkill.  many of the actions are unnecessarily punitive and based on reputation.  others are just mean outbursts of evil.  I understand that this particular example came about not from ill intent, but from wanting to help others decipher my logic.

I have edited the title of the thread.  if it needs to be further changed, please communicate.  how many other words of mine have been filtered through the biases of an overly assured editor not quite understanding the original intent?

Can you PM me what content of yours was changed?  I don't like the accusation and would like to get to the root of the issue.

3 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Can you PM me what content of yours was changed?  I don't like the accusation and would like to get to the root of the issue.

In this case I changed the thread title from "anyone willing to put in work on a thing" to "anyone willing to put in work on my next SNES ROM" (or something close to that? to try to make it clearer what the thread was about because I don't like "mystery meat" titles). 

it is not an accusation.  it is a fact.  this is not an issue anymore.  it was done with mostly good intent and it helped me to clarify BECAUSE I SPOTTED IT.  the guy who did it is not one of the problems around here.  the title had been changed to include the word "my" in reference to a proposed collaborative ROM project.  not the end of the world.  not worth investigating.  we can edit our own titles and I am receptive to suggested changes.  derailed by my reputation from a decade ago again!  a less vigilant/intelligent/deliberate member may have been bullied away long ago.  y'all wish that was me!  ha?

it is just the constance of needing to brace against the tide of staff action.  if you want to see a real problem, I can see that at least Smoz has seen what another staff member did to bully on my profile page.  that is not okay.  I have saved screenshots because I fully expect it to be swept away.

Edited by tru

but as to other content, it is mostly titles, which are done for clarity.  the worst is when I defend myself eloquently only to have my words deleted.  bullying is cool until I can explain why it is not.  then it is my response that seems to "require" the action.  that pattern is tiring, but I am steady.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in helping with rosters, ratings, anything that's just simple data input. I'm not much for artwork updates. I'm currently in the process of getting a new computer to replace my current broken one so when that happens, I'll definitely be willing to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like we should do something.  it is lame that nobody is doing it.  there is no feeling like seeing these pixels.  I so badly wish that we had a real hacker on our team that I would pay to add one able to expand to 32.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my computer today so I'm ready to start working on this thing. Like I mentioned before, this is all new to me but happy to help. No idea where to start with the expansion of the 32nd team. Is the SNES hacking that different from the Genesis hacking? They're not similar in any way?

please download the SNES editor.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11993-editor-v081/

(you may also want at least one hex editor.  I like Hex Fiend, but I also use another for the other sequencing format.) get used to opening files.  tinker.

please read the ROM mapping thread.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13150-snes-nhl94-rom-mapping-project/

selfishly, I would like to start with my existing file, but the roster section(s) can be copied in either direction, and that is where most of the work lies -- in the player data updates.  I imagine you helping by copying entire player lines, changing jersey numbers and weights to current, replacing retirees with rookies for me to rate.  what do you envision, just helping me get my thing done, creating something fresh together, working along side and sharing roster work?

let me know where you have answers/questions.  thank you!

16 hours ago, tru said:

please download the SNES editor.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11993-editor-v081/

(you may also want at least one hex editor.  I like Hex Fiend, but I also use another for the other sequencing format.) get used to opening files.  tinker.

please read the ROM mapping thread.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13150-snes-nhl94-rom-mapping-project/

selfishly, I would like to start with my existing file, but the roster section(s) can be copied in either direction, and that is where most of the work lies -- in the player data updates.  I imagine you helping by copying entire player lines, changing jersey numbers and weights to current, replacing retirees with rookies for me to rate.  what do you envision, just helping me get my thing done, creating something fresh together, working along side and sharing roster work?

let me know where you have answers/questions.  thank you!

I think it would be the better option to start with your existing file. Starting fresh sounds terrifying as this is all new to me.

I'm interested in working along side and sharing the roster work. First, like you said, is getting the right players lined up on each team and then going through and updating ratings/numbers/weights etc. I'd like a say in ratings and such. The guys that have worked on the last couple Genesis versions have the ratings setup pretty fairly I would say and if we can keep the ratings somewhat similar, I'll be happy with the end product. 

I'll download the programs tonight and read through the ROM mapping thread to get an idea of what I'm in for. :)

probably.  get any hex editor and get used to finding (and replacing) lines of code, as described in the ROM mapping thread, I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Tru, sorry I haven't been able to help you with this project yet. I apologize for that. Currently meddling with NHL95 for PC updates at the moment. I do intend to help with this. Is there anyone that has a file we can start with? Have you started anything yet?

• 7 months later...

I am probably not off to a great start by reaching right away for this third rail of a topic, but seeing as I was a LONG-time lurker and I don't really have much to contribute myself, I'll knowingly touch it at my own risk.  Is Trudat permabanned?  Is there another member willing (and able) to revive the Ninety Flow series?  My reading of events seems to confirm a "yes" to the first, an "unlikely" to the second, but I put my positivity toward changing at least that second one.

We could use a party-in-the-back hero to take care of the business.  I am not experienced in more than playing the ROMs, so this is NOT me volunteering... more hoping there is a plan to revive the Super Nintendo side of this site, which seems to have been propped up on a single pillar that was intentionally pulled.  That dude didn't seem TO ME to be toxic... more bullied.  Regardless of where the truth lies, it is a shame that the contributions came to an end.

Is there somebody waiting on the bench to substitute in?  Surely somebody understands that ROM mapping thread well enough to step up.  There are many rookies and second-year players that I wish to see on the Nintendo ice and the last ROM was amazing -- can we have something like that again, building off of that last one?

Stefan, PenguinFan... do either/both of you feel capable of leading such a project?  Would you want to take that on?  Is there anybody in touch with Trudat still?  His profile used to say that he was banned.  (He is seemingly not in the Facebook group anymore, either.)  Is there any hope of reconciliation with that guy?

Alright... I am just planting that seed and watering it with hope.  I think we would be better off with somebody... ANYBODY... making Nintendo ROMs again.  I would love to skate Vegas, wouldn't you?

Thank you in advance for taking this as it is intended.  (I definitely am not wishing for a bench-clearing brawl.)  Here is to revival around here!

With love, game-winning mullet.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:43 AM, game-winning mullet said:

I am probably not off to a great start by reaching right away for this third rail of a topic, but seeing as I was a LONG-time lurker and I don't really have much to contribute myself, I'll knowingly touch it at my own risk.  Is Trudat permabanned?  Is there another member willing (and able) to revive the Ninety Flow series?  My reading of events seems to confirm a "yes" to the first, an "unlikely" to the second, but I put my positivity toward changing at least that second one.

We could use a party-in-the-back hero to take care of the business.  I am not experienced in more than playing the ROMs, so this is NOT me volunteering... more hoping there is a plan to revive the Super Nintendo side of this site, which seems to have been propped up on a single pillar that was intentionally pulled.  That dude didn't seem TO ME to be toxic... more bullied.  Regardless of where the truth lies, it is a shame that the contributions came to an end.

Is there somebody waiting on the bench to substitute in?  Surely somebody understands that ROM mapping thread well enough to step up.  There are many rookies and second-year players that I wish to see on the Nintendo ice and the last ROM was amazing -- can we have something like that again, building off of that last one?

Stefan, PenguinFan... do either/both of you feel capable of leading such a project?  Would you want to take that on?  Is there anybody in touch with Trudat still?  His profile used to say that he was banned.  (He is seemingly not in the Facebook group anymore, either.)  Is there any hope of reconciliation with that guy?

Alright... I am just planting that seed and watering it with hope.  I think we would be better off with somebody... ANYBODY... making Nintendo ROMs again.  I would love to skate Vegas, wouldn't you?

Thank you in advance for taking this as it is intended.  (I definitely am not wishing for a bench-clearing brawl.)  Here is to revival around here!

With love, game-winning mullet.

I definitely can't lead the project as it's all foreign to me but am willing to help out. Sucks that Tru is gone as he seemed like he wanted to do it but it never really got this project off the ground. I don't know if he was waiting for me to start but like I've said before in this thread, I can do data entry stuff... I don't mind throwing on some tunes and going to work on that stuff. It's the graphics that intimidates me so that part doesn't interest me.

I looked into that hex editor and it was all way over my head.... made no sense.

If there is a team of people that want to work on it. Let's do it!