NHL'94 Forums

[February 24th, 2018 - Green Bay, WI] Edge of '94 -WI Presents, A Fleury of Goals!

What : NHL 94 tournament for both SNES and Genesis

Where : Edge VR Arcade in Green Bay, WI 2642 Packerland Drive Suite 1, Green Bay, WI 54313

When : February 24th, 2018

Signup here! https://goo.gl/forms/h4P4EyxNmxvACEgm2

Waiver form here! https://www.smartwaiver.com/w/5a4be09fbf6ba/web/

Cost : $30 for Adults $10 for accompanying children, includes automatic entry into both SNES and Genesis tournaments, one will precede the other.  Please send payment via Paypal when RSVPing for the event to trojan1979@gmail.com, stating who you are paying for.   All entries include a VR time voucher(a $20 value), valid for those at least 12 years of age..  Additional time may be purchased while present.

Users may RSVP at this Facebook event page.  You are considered signed up once you have sent in your payment, again $30 for adults, $10 for kids to trojan1979@gmail.com

http://tinyurl.com/NHL94WI

Format : Group play will precede bracket play, first SNES, then Genesis.  There is an initial 32 player cap for this tournament.  If we receive additional interest and have taken in payment, we will take measures to increase the tournament size.

Rules : 5 minute periods, penalties on, no offside, manual goalie.  If it's in the game, it's in the game.  No game mechanics are banned.  Examples are pass shots, CB checks, hail mary shots, goalie interference goals, rebound goals on penalty shots, etc.    A coin flip winner will be the home team(player 1) and call the matchup.  The opposing player is the away team(player 2) and choses which of the two teams they want for that matchup.  A player cannot call a matchup more than once during the tournament.  These roles are reversed for game two of a playoff series.  If the series goes to game 3, another coin flip and matchup selection must be performed.  Games cannot end in a tie.  A new game must be started in the event of a tie game at the end of overtime.  Intentional time wasting in your own zone is prohibited.  You must attempt to advance the puck into the opposing zone whenever possible.  Players caught abusing this may have goals deducted, or in extreme cases the game awarded to the opposing player.  Players are required to take a photo of their score and report to the scorekeeper.  There is a 10 goal deficit mercy rule.  The game is over once a 10 goal difference is reached.  10 goals is the max goal differential counted.  Players are permitted to bring their own OEM or approved 3rd party controllers.  All other equipment is provided by us, however we could use your help(see down below)

Payout : 100% of money taken in from child entries will be paid out, 50% to each bracket.  For each $30 entry, $8 goes to the SNES bracket, $8 to the Genesis bracket, and $10 to the venue for hosting us and providing the VR experience.  An approximate 60/30/10 split payout will be for each bracket to 1st/2nd/3rd place.

Hotel Accommodations :There are multiple locations within 2 minutes driving distance, including one that can be walked to from the venue.  We are working on setting up a group rate and will update this thread when we have it.  We are about 3 minutes from the Airport in Green Bay.

For those wondering where to stay, the Hotel J is a 2 minute walk away from the venue, or a 10 minute crawl if you overindulge.
Hotel J
Address: 2620 S Packerland Dr, Green Bay, WI 54313
Phone: (920) 499-1900

What types of systems are used for this? : All Genesis systems and controllers are OEM.  All screens used are CRT, which means no input lag.  SNES are a mix of 1st gen, model 2, and NOAC clone units.  All controllers are either OEM or Cirka brand clones, which work very well. 

Will this be streamed? : Yes, unless otherwise stated you can follow the action on twitch.  Please favorite www.twitch.tv/trojan1979.  We may also have @kingraph and The Retro Sports gamer stream via wifi hotspot on their own stations for additional coverage.

Can I dress up in hockey attire? : Yes, you will basically be put in the sin bin if you don't get into character.

How can I help the tournament organizers? : In addition to making an early commitment to attend, we ask that you share the existence of this tournament, early and often, on all forms of social media.  Make plans to travel with friends, and make this a destination.  We are also in need of some additional SNES systems.  At this time, we own about 12 Genesis systems, but only 3 or 4 SNES systems.  Anyone willing to bring an SNES setup would be of great help.  That would include, a console, composite hookups, two controllers, and game copy.

Edited by King of 94' WI
  • Like 2

1)Trojan(organizer fee is comped)

2)Lil Trojan(son of Trojan fee is comped)

3)SHONKY

4)Billy Duket PAID!

5)Arda Ocal(announcer, fee is comped)

6)BaconFan(event sponsor)

7)Angryjay93 PAID!

8)Troy Evers PAID!

9)The_Shield PAID!

10)Moe Man(Won Free Entry)

11)Levi L PAID!

12)Coachmac PAID!

13)Matt Stahnke PAID!

14)Jeff Zweep PAID!

15) @jer_33 PAID!

16)Ben Gillen PAID!

17)Chewy Zwargart PAID!

18)Eric Vostal AKA @IAmFleury'sHipCheck AKA EA PAID!

19)Shane Petitejean PAID!

20)Kevin Cabarello PAID!

21)Justin Harry PAID!

22)@kingraph PAID!

23)@corbettkb PAID!

24) Michael Sroka PAID!

25) Green Majik PAID!

26)@LeifErikson PAID!

27)Brock(son of Leif) PAID!

28)Tyler Votaw PAID!

29)Smozoma PAID!

30)Michael Mathena Paid!

31)Glen Updike(Ninglendo) PAID!

32)Anthony O'Hearn PAID!

33)Tim Porter PAID!

34)Tom Stahnke PAID!

35) Chris K(aka Chris Scott) PAID!

36)Carl Klitzke PAID!

37)James Gardipee(won free entry)

38)Graham Tesch PAID!

39)Laura Duket(PAID)

40)RYAN MURDOCK PAID!

Edited by King of 94' WI

Reserved for Results

Gens

1) Kingraph $158

2) Angryjay93 $75

3) Smoz $45

Total prize money $258

SNES

1) Kingraph $158

2) Smoz $75

3) Corbettkb(3rd place game was forfeited and not played by Trojan due to time constraints to move forward to Genesis) $45

Total prize money $258

Edited by King of 94' WI

19 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Awesome!! I added a short listing of this to http://nhl94.com/events with a link to this thread.

Thanks Aqua!  We are ready for the SNES community to add to the fun of all of this.  Build it and they will come as they say.  We are building it, time for the community to make the journey!  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingraph said:

I am strongly considering attending, will try to nail this down by the end of the month.  If I go, I can also bring a console.

Once you commit, the rest of the guys will buy in.  Hopefully this happens.  Go buds go!  :)

I've been both of Troy's tournaments and have enjoyed myself throughly each time. The setup is always great, the organization is on point, and the production value is high. Troy always makes sure everyone is taken care of and I highly recommend attending his events.

I plan on being there and playing in both tournaments. The NHL 94 is great and the side games are always something to behold. Tecmo super bowl, street fighter 2, and mortal Kombat 1 & 2 are popular side games. If you play Troy in any of those titles, bring your A+ game or prepare to take a beating. 

Looking forward to seeing the great lakes buds again.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, angryjay93 said:

I've been both of Troy's tournaments and have enjoyed myself throughly each time. The setup is always great, the organization is on point, and the production value is high. Troy always makes sure everyone is taken care of and I highly recommend attending his events.

I plan on being there and playing in both tournaments. The NHL 94 is great and the side games are always something to behold. Tecmo super bowl, street fighter 2, and mortal Kombat 1 & 2 are popular side games. If you play Troy in any of those titles, bring your A+ game or prepare to take a beating. 

Looking forward to seeing the great lakes buds again.

Just to reinforce something that has been somewhat confusing.  Everyone is automatically entered into both tournaments.  If you go, you are expected to participate in both.  The prize $$ is split evenly between both.  If you are a Genesis guy, you can still mash buttons on an SNES and keep your pride.  I'm at best a B level guy on Genesis, and I'm even worse on SNES.  That being said, there should be varying levels of competition across the board for both tournaments.

Also if you are able to beat me in Mortal Kombat, I will allow you to cross check me into the building, as long as you drive me to the hospital.

• halifax pinned this topic
  • halifax featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@kingraph confirmed he booked his flight today, so he's in!  I'll be meeting with the venue owners tomorrow to discuss the creation of a promotional video, as well as getting that waiver created.  I'm hoping in a couple weeks to have signups official for Paypal.

Image may contain: 2 people

• Like 1

With the passing of HFD #NHL94 player #ZarleyZalapski, we will be honoring him in the tournament by awarding a prize to whoever has the most total points(goals, assists) scored by Zalapski in group play. It's time to start practicing matchups with Hartford! Just take a picture of the scoring summary after the match has concluded. Stay tuned for a future update involving a side challenge featuring tournament namesake Theo Fleury!

3 minutes ago, King of 94' WI said:

@kingraph confirmed he booked his flight today, so he's in!  I'll be meeting with the venue owners tomorrow to discuss the creation of a promotional video, as well as getting that waiver created.  I'm hoping in a couple weeks to have signups official for Paypal.

YEEEEEEEE, let's go freeze our asses off and play some '94!  

• Like 1

This post is for Arda Ocal.

King of 94 - WI proudly presents, A Fleury of Goals, an NHL94 tournament for the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. 

On February 24th, 2018 the world's best 16 bit hockey players will descend upon the Edge VR Arcade in Green Bay, WI, to compete for bragging rights, cash prizes, and the coveted Lord Manly's Cup!

Image may contain: people sitting, table and indoor

#AFleuryofGoals is the organization's 3rd NHL94 tournament, which welcomes two time defending champion, AngryJay93, from Sacramento California to defend his crown.

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing and indoor

I, Arda Ocal will be present, calling action for tournaments on both the Super Nintendo, and the Sega Genesis.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, closeup

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Think you've got what it takes to be the King of 94?  Make the journey to Green Bay, WI to find out!

Prepay for the event starts January 1st, 2018.  You may RSVP your intentions by joining the Facebook event here http://tinyurl.com/NHL94WI.

You may follow King of 94 WI on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/gbnhl94/

Stay connected to King of 94 WI on Twitter https://twitter.com/trojanvoice

Edited by King of 94' WI

Green Bay's 'Piano Man' Dan Rafferty has just been secured as our live organist for our NHL94 tournament!  Dan is 1/2 of Dueling Piano duo, NEW Piano Guys. His piano improvisation has entertained Northeast Wisconsin for the greater part of 25 years. Talented, yes! Bald, you bet! Entertaining, you be the judge!  Dan will be accompanying tournament organizer Troy "Trojan" Frisque in the opening ceremonies with both national anthems, Oh Canada, and The Star Spangled Banner!  Dan will also fill the air with familiar hockey arena riffs heard at hockey games world wide!
25579077_10212643436094759_1695321852_o.
25555384_10212643437254788_1563946830_n.
25564524_10212643442894929_1846302463_n.
25564580_10212643443414942_1571322992_n.