NHL'94 Forums

Bringing TVs to Events

aqualizard

You know, I think I heard or read Coach brought a TV to the Vegas event. (I could be confused.  I was there when he brought a TV across the street, from the event venue into the hotel lobby... maybe that is what he did?)  Anyway, I also read we had plenty of donor consoles in Vegas, but were short old CRT-style TVs.  

This got me thinking.

1. Why doesn't everyone in the Northeast snag 1 CRT-style TV off of Craig's List or whatever, and
2. At the next event, if needed, we each bring a TV? (Or at least we have that option.)

Obviously, if you have to fly, you aren't bringing a TV.  But if you are driving, and have room, or if the event is in your home city, why not?  

I know I played a couple times on an LED TV in Vegas, and it felt funny. (Don't know if it was lag or just the look of it.)  I also am worried in a short while CRT- TVs will be hard to come by, but right now they can be gotten cheap or even free!  Let's each grab one!

Edited by aqualizard

From what I understand, getting CRTs is pretty easy and cheap(free), but the 3rd-party organizers in Vegas just didn't try to get more TVs even though they were told we needed 16. And they didn't tell us before hand that they were 10 short. 11, actually, since one of the TVs didn't even work. 

Coach brought a TV from home, yes.

We will need to have a few people bring TVs to the events if only because the hotel TVs are sometimes locked down so you can't plug a console into them.

14 minutes ago, smozoma said:

From what I understand, getting CRTs is pretty easy and cheap(free), but the 3rd-party organizers in Vegas just didn't try to get more TVs even though they were told we needed 16. And they didn't tell us before hand that they were 10 short. 11, actually, since one of the TVs didn't even work. 

You don't think we could use volunteer TVs -- brought by participants -- at the events themselves? (Only for unofficial hotel room games?)

Having our own TVs seems like it could come in handy across the board, but maybe I am (once again) over thinking things?

Edited by aqualizard

Having stocked up on a few TV's with @chaos recently, we found the ideal TV size is 13"-15".  That might sound small, but there are easy to carry/transport, especially if you have to lug 8 of them around.  And they work just fine during a tournament.  You can usually get these for about $10, and a trip to somebody's house.  $10 is even negotiable...you're essentially doing them a favor since they would likely dump the TV anyway.   

I currently have 4 TVs (or 5?) and @Chaos has like 3.  @Evan has a few.  Basically any NYC-area tourney and we can supply 8-9 TV's easy, and obviously pick up more if needed.  That's how we do LI and CT (this weekend!)

• Like 1

any bigger than 15" on those old clunkers is a hefty endeavor.  13" is pretty damned small, but it shows a pretty smooth resolution for 16-bit gaming.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Having stocked up on a few TV's with @chaos recently, we found the ideal TV size is 13"-15".  That might sound small, but there are easy to carry/transport, especially if you have to lug 8 of them around.  And they work just fine during a tournament.  You can usually get these for about $10, and a trip to somebody's house.  $10 is even negotiable...you're essentially doing them a favor since they would likely dump the TV anyway.   

Yeah, those sound smaller than I expected.  (I guess if you sit super-close, it is huge! ;) )  Do you have one big one for the Championship games?

I see the benefit -- for transport -- of having small.  But would you prefer big ones? Or it really is not worth the extra trouble.  (Extra trouble in the idea I propose, is relying on other people, and hoping they follow through on bringing them!)

Sure, we could use them. It's just not a big deal to get them when they're needed, vs everyone going out and getting one now. (Plus I think it makes more sense like Raph mentioned to have a small number of people gather several TVs each)

I concur with Raph about the tv sizes. The CRTs in Vegas were nice but unnecessarily large.  Anything over 20" is overkill / hard to transport. I wonder if the Vegas people were only considering large TVs and that's why they didn't find enough?

8 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Having stocked up on a few TV's with @chaos recently,... You can usually get these for about $10, and a trip to somebody's house.  $10 is even negotiable...you're essentially doing them a favor since they would likely dump the TV anyway.   

Also, what is the method of acquiring them?  Craiflist? Kajiji? Something else?

Maybe I will do the same just in case...

Raph  is correct.  The smaller TV's are great for hauling.  Have a 13" that looks great and doesn't kill me hauling.  My favorite is a 19" black panasonic from the late 90's pretty light still and a bit bigger.  Picture looks like it's made for 16bit.  Some of the off brand 20" are almost 50 lbs too.  anything over 25" will give you a backyotomy 

The best place to get CRT's is the dumpster after a retro gaming tourney.  Half the guys leave them there at event  :) 

1 hour ago, segathon said:

The best place to get CRT's is the dumpster after a retro gaming tourney.  Half the guys leave them there at event  :) 

This is great!

I also had a projector going of the stream in LI so it was easier for people to watch the featured games.  It was right from the laptop, so it didn't have the 20 second stream lag like in Vegas.

I'm all for bigger TVs, but if it's me who is hauling these beasts around, it's gonna be smaller.  There must be a picture from the LI Retro thread that shows the smaller TVs.  

I know that for tecmo, they ask people to bring systems and tvs for their tournament. We haven't done that yet, but certainly would for next time. Consoles, controllers and games aren't typically a problem, but certainly having enough CRT's would be. 13 inch screens are perfect for tournament play. the 20+ inch screens in vegas were fine but I found I needed to be far back from the tv to be able to play properly.  There's still the preference of having a larger screen for every to view the finals matches as opposed to crowding around a small tv set, but again, as raph mentioned, having a projection of it would be fine.