NHL'94 Forums

VHL 5 - League Registration

skip

Hey everyone, welcome to VHL5!

***League Draft to Begin WEEK OF November 10th***

VHL is a WBF draft league where we draft from the 2017-18 rosters. The excel file (below) shows the draft pool. This has been a competitive league - last season and season before final went to Game 7!

**Notes for VHL5**

This will be a 22 game season. Draft will not be a snaking draft. Instead, we will continue to use a true NHL style draft where we start from #1 pick again in Round 2, etc. This allows for better competitive balance, while also rewarding players who play all of their games in the previous season (penalties for not finishing all games).

Playoff seeding will be separated from playoff qualification. Win % determines your playoff seeding, points determines playoff qualification.

Let me know if you have any questions. The ROM attached is what we'll use (excel has complete list of players).

DRAFT ORDER

1. Flatcrusher - Winnipeg

2. Chefsuperstar88 - Philadelphia

3. Kevin77 - Calgary

4. scamy89 - Nashville

5. redkarpet - Arizona

6. Jer - Toronto

7. Labs - Pittsburgh

8. dcicon - Chicago

9. Lupz - NY Rangers

10. Tex - Dallas

11. Skip - Vegas

12. Icestorm - Buffalo

Waitlist/Sub List- Engelby77, Darko, AquaLizard

ROM + excel file here --->

VHL5exis.bin

VHL5.xls

Edited by skip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, corbettkb said:

if i can be in.

I'm not in if your not allowed in that's silly.  Heck you never even won the league for Christ sakes.

15 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

In with Maple Leafs, if we're going back to player draft.

Oh yeah staking claim to my NY Rangers!

On 10/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, skip said:

Hey everyone, welcome to VHL5!

***Registration will remain open until at least October 31st***

***League Draft to Begin No Later than November 15th***

VHL is a WBF draft league where we draft from the 2017-18 rosters. The excel file (below) shows the draft pool. This is a fun, competitive league - last season and season before final went to Game 7!

We'll need to have at least 12 teams for a full draft. If we cannot get 12 guys, we'll go to a regular team draft (classic style).

**Notes for VHL5**

We will continue with a ~40 to 48 game season. This is mainly a B league, but all are welcome to join no matter you're level of experience or skill.

Draft will not be a snaking draft. Instead, we will continue to use a true NHL style draft where we start from #1 pick again in Round 2, etc. This allows for better competitive balance, while also rewarding players who play all of their games in the previous season (penalties for not finishing all games).

Draft will be determined prior to the new league season. New players will be added to middle of draft (well-known A guys to the back of draft).

Playoff seeding will be separated from playoff qualification. We use playoff system where win % determines your seeding.

Let me know if you have any questions. The ROM attached is basically what we'll play with. There may be a few slight updates but nothing of major consequence.

NHL18skipV1.zip

NHL18skipV1.zip

Just a idea for this seasons format, IF we get the 12 coaches to have a player draft instead of having separate conferences, just put all 12 (or more if more sign up) together no separate conferences like Plablegs league, AND have every coach play a home, and home series knocking the schedule down to 22 games (possibly a few more depending on if more teams sign up), this would make it easier for guys to finish a season even if they are having a very poor season so if they lose interest 22 games doesn't seem like such a daunting task like 40-44 does IMO, and if all goes well, and we have a early finish then their could be another season right afterwards if the interest is there.  Just like Plablegs have top 6 qualify for playoffs as first 6 seeds, and then 7 play 10, and 8 play 9 to determine who plays the 1st, and 2nd seed in the first round of the playoffs.

I just think with the recent decline in league participation after sign ups a 22 game schedule is more realistic then 40-44 with 12 coaches, and might lead to higher completion % of games, and eliminate the never ending season due to people not playing all their games after the initial early rush in the early part of the season.

If enthusiasm for a large schedule is apparent can always go back to the 40-44 game format for future seasons.

Anyways just a thought.

Icestorm is expressing some interest, as long as he doesn't create an uneven playing field (based on his suggestion). He suggested that he draft after every other team is fully drafted, but we still don't have enough guys for a full draft (need at least 12 guys). We'll find a way to include him for sure.

On 10/22/2017 at 4:53 PM, skip said:

Anyone else want to join the league? Keeping it open another week or so, let me know! 

I would DM some new guys, like Scamy, AdamWoodrow, Leif and Buc? (Basically cherry pick from Fall Classic Waiting List here: http://nhl94online.com/html/waiting-list.php?lg=47)

• Like 1

Just added the exi ROM and the excel file for the player pool we'll draft from. There are some player skill adjustments made from the original 2018 ROM's rosters, so be sure to have a look before the draft.

For new guys: take a look at 'checking ability' (not the 'chk' rating, but the Chk Abl rating). This tells you how likely a player is to knock a player down. I guess the saying goes that these players should normally be able to knock down a player that has the same weight or less as the Chk Abl. Seems to make sense, lots of checking in this league.

Speed kills - this is a fast paced league and having good skaters matters!