NHL'94 Forums

Uber is Awesome

aqualizard

There are a few mentions of taxis and public transport in different cities where events are held.  I am a new convert to Uber, and it is awesome.  When I was in Vegas, it cost me $15 to get from my hotel to the airport.  A shuttle cost $11, and you had to wait around and deal with other travelers.  The Uber was worth the small extra expense.

However, I just learned here in Toronto that Uber has a variable rate, depending on supply and demand.  So if there are few people looking, and many Ubers available, it is super cheap.  But if the reverse is true, it can be as expensive or even  more expensive than a taxi!  I did not know this.  An Uber driver here in Toronto explained it to me.  He said it was very rare, but on occasion it can be similar in price to a taxi.

That said, I still would take Uber.  It is so much more handy being able to track everything on your phone.  And not have to worry about paying in cash, either.

Uber is a great service, but a really questionable company, from sabotaging competitors to spying on you after you closed their app.

http://observer.com/2016/02/ubers-10-worst-actions-threats-lies-sexism-shady-business-deals/

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/39681-five-more-reasons-to-deleteuber-and-some-ethical-alternatives

Not that taxi drivers and companies aren't pretty bad themselves.

Geeze Smozoma, I read the second article, and of the "5 Reasons to Delete Uber" from your phone, only one seems legit to me.  A couple even seem the reverse; they are points for Uber. 

Uber is like Google/Youtube to me: a mega company that puts profits first, but is an amazing service that provides incredible benefit to me.  Some places don't have Goolge/Youtube, and some places don't have Uber, but I bet the vast majority of people that are cut off wish they did!  Uber is sooooo much better than taxis, which is their real competition.  They are like Taxis 2.0; what Taxis *should have been*, if they adapted to the times.

I don't like hearing that at Uber Head Office sexist slimeballs run the show (among other ethical issues), but that puts them in the same category as 99.9% of other businesses that get big. (Maybe even 100%.)

Edited by aqualizard
typos

There's a reason I listed it second...

Their active sabotaging of competitors and spying on customers is pretty dirty and makes it worth considering using a competitor service (plus if Uber is the rideshare monopoly they will get worse, so supporting other companies is good). There's putting profits first, then there's being actively unethical!

There are other concerns, like, if your'e in an accident, Uber may blame the driver, who they don't consider an employee(!!), and deny you coverage and you're stuck suing the driver or something weird.

UBER UBER UBER!!!

Ignore Mr Nerd.  Uber is your best chance to get where you need to go, and MAYBE also a slight raping on the side.

I had my scariest ride in a long time later at night last summer downtown Baltimore with an Uber!