NHL'94 Forums

Fightcade 2, promises Genesis support

jer_33

Fightcade is basically a match-making program, a lobby for fight game enthusiasts. On the backend it uses an emulator called FBA, which was designed to run MAME games (actual ports of arcade games). It also uses a different technology to play P2P (GGPO), one that is supposed to be easier to set-up (no issues with routers, and no need to port forward).

Recently it has been updated/upgraded to Fightcade 2, which promises many enhancements, specifically the addition of Sega Genesis emulation.

On the reddit page for this project (it is in BETA as of Oct 27), I found a copy of the supported roms.

NHLPA93, NHL 94-98 were all there, not to mention NBA Jam, Madden etc..

As it is in beta, it can only be tested by folks with older accounts (you need to register to play on Fightcade). 

Anyone here a member of Fightcade since 2014? We need a tester!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Wonder why they are limiting the Beta like this?

Probably keeps the false bug reports, repeated bug reports, and other noise to a minimum, by only allowing a smaller set of users (who already know how to use it).

Hopefully this emu doesn't block saving during netplay like Gens and Kega used to

• Thanks 1

I'm curious of a few things.

1. Obviously, how easy the set-up is.

2. How good the emulator is (based on it's popularity for fight games, I'm guessing it has to play well).

3. If it is better than Kaillera for lag/inputs etc...

4. For fights games, I think the site will track wins/losses.. I'm assuming it would do the same for sports titles.

lots to think about...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jer_33 said:

4. For fights games, I think the site will track wins/losses.. I'm assuming it would do the same for sports titles.

lots to think about...

Hopefully it can also spit out a savestate anyway. But if it has an in-built ladder system, that could be great.

this looks really promising. I have a fightcade account that works on fightcade2, but my connection is far from good enough to be the community tester lol. 

Fightcade is suchhhhh a good program. Even if you cant make savestates and lose out on stats, just having an emulator that runs nhl 94 smoothly and is super user friendly could be just what we need.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TomKabs93 said:

this looks really promising. I have a fightcade account that works on fightcade2, but my connection is far from good enough to be the community tester lol. 

Fightcade is suchhhhh a good program. Even if you cant make savestates and lose out on stats, just having an emulator that runs nhl 94 smoothly and is super user friendly could be just what we need.

Perhaps you would consider sharing your login credentials with a member here you trust? (One who does have a good connection?)

Maybe we need two people, though?

i cant give up my fightcade account cuz i use it a bit myself.

i tried it and nhl 94 works, its just the european megadrive version though, not sure if that makes much difference. My laptop runs 94 choppy offline on gens so i cant tell you how it runs, but i can say that nhl 94 is on there and it does work. It would be easy to connect to others if they had fightcade accounts

55 minutes ago, TomKabs93 said:

i cant give up my fightcade account cuz i use it a bit myself.

i tried it and nhl 94 works, its just the european megadrive version though, not sure if that makes much difference. My laptop runs 94 choppy offline on gens so i cant tell you how it runs, but i can say that nhl 94 is on there and it does work. It would be easy to connect to others if they had fightcade accounts

I think the European one will run at 25 fps PAL instead of 29.97 fps NTSC, so will be slower, since from what I understand (at least about the older EA NHL games like "NHL Hockey") the game speed is tied to the frame rate.

16 minutes ago, smozoma said:

I think the European one will run at 25 fps PAL instead of 29.97 fps NTSC, so will be slower, since from what I understand (at least about the older EA NHL games like "NHL Hockey") the game speed is tied to the frame rate.

Ah darn, that could be a dealbreaker

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/poliva/97ed782c08ac17884b13/raw/52d3be5ac2f9caf4d677eb609250d28141ad6fbd/new-fightcade-romset.txt

Both versions are on the list:

md_nhl : NHL Hockey (USA)
md_nhl94 : NHL '94 (Euro, USA)
md_nhl95 : NHL 95 (Euro, USA)
md_nhl96 : NHL 96 (Euro, USA)
md_nhl97 : NHL 97 (Euro, USA)
md_nhl98 : NHL 98 (USA)
md_nhlpa93 : NHLPA Hockey 93 (Euro, USA, v1.1)
md_nhlpa93a : NHLPA Hockey 93 (Euro, USA)

2 hours ago, AtomicRaven said:

just looked at the github repo for this and noticed the kaillera dll in there...

https://github.com/poliva/pyqtggpo

That's worrying... but when I look at the details, it says it's using it for chat and recording playback, so hopefully that's all it's using it for, not the actual networking for gameplay

https://github.com/poliva/pyqtggpo/commit/1d2dd5898c77a62ea1a642419868dc81f8620960

+// 1 = display pause/record/replay/kaillera icons in the upper right corner of the display
+nVidSDisplayStatus 1
+
+// Minimum height (in pixels) of the font used for the Kaillera chat function (used for arcade resolution)
+nMinChatFontSize 12
+
+// Maximum height (in pixels) of the font used for the Kaillera chat function (used for 1280x960 or higher).
+nMaxChatFontSize 36

I have an account that works. I'll post the account details some time tonight (if I remember) so you guys can test. 

On 11/6/2017 at 5:31 PM, jer_33 said:

I'm curious of a few things.

1. Obviously, how easy the set-up is.

2. How good the emulator is (based on it's popularity for fight games, I'm guessing it has to play well).

3. If it is better than Kaillera for lag/inputs etc...

lots to think about...

1. The set-up is easier than GENS. You need to have the NHL '94 ROM in the ROMs folder. When you launch FightCade, just select NHL '94, and it will put you into a lobby.

2. I think the emulator is good.

3. For me, the netplay has always been smooth, and there's even in-game chat enabled.

4. I think the tracking of wins/losses is only for the (popular) fighting games. 

-----------------------------------------------------

**FightCade automatically uploads replays of past games to their website. You can also spectate any game you want.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Premium said:

username: pristine

password: ........

Link to FightCade 2

If you're maybe worried about your account's long-term safety, it might be a good idea to request that people message you to get the password, or just make sure you change the password in a few weeks.

Technically, sharing your fightcade account is not allowed (not that I think they care)

• 1 month later...

Didn't get an online game going, but was able to open the rom on the FBA emulator, which is easily found as an exectuable file in the installed folders.

• 3 months later...

Just a follow-up.. it looks like the beta-testing is completed, and all should have access to online NHL94 play. The issue I have atm, is that the system requires a particular rom in order to play. Need to find that rom - or perhaps rename my rom so it is recognized. Need to get a few guys on in order to test the lobby/chat functions.

33 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

Just a follow-up.. it looks like the beta-testing is completed, and all should have access to online NHL94 play. The issue I have atm, is that the system requires a particular rom in order to play. Need to find that rom - or perhaps rename my rom so it is recognized. Need to get a few guys on in order to test the lobby/chat functions.

I don't think renaming will work, it probably does a checksum before running it and compares it to the checksum of the 'official' ROM.

But it's worth a try.

EDIT: renaming nhl94.bin will probably work, but what I meant was league ROMs wouldn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Here's the correct nhl94 rom to be used in fightcade 2. Fightcade uses the FBA emulator and like with MAME all roms have to be the same varsion as the emulator. Current version is 0.2.97.42. Place the rom in the fightcade2 roms folder and you should be good to go. FC2 has an emulator folder where you can test your roms with the FBA. I just a played a game against the cpu with xbox360 controller and it ran well.

But...

When i start the FC2, go to nhl94 room and try to test the game it doesn't run. A popup window appear that says the directory is not supported. I saw someone talking about sega problems in their discord channel and that developers are looking into it. I'll test if other games work and then ask about this in their discord.

nhl94.zip

(edit)

The problem with sega games in fc2 is actually desync. Mame used to have a resync button to deal with that, but fba doesn't have a way to fix a desync. Hopefully the developers can get it worked out, a lot of players are asking about it in their discord.

The reason to the problem i have with games not loading didn't suprise me at all. It's a linux problem. Just have to reinstall averything, and if still won't work, reinstall again

Edited by Meka
New information
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1