NHL'94 Forums

My dreams for an NHL95 Rom hack

Jlnhlsegafan

• 3 weeks later...

Just an idea, if you cannot afford a Windows machine. If you know someone else who has a Windows machine (even an older one, back to Windows 7), you can connect with Chrome Remote Desktop and do all of your modding/editting work on their PC.

Get a Dropbox/Google Drive/Box account and set-up a folder with all of your roms/editors/utilities etc. Install the program on both machines so that you always have an updated folder on both machines.

Install Chrome Remote Desktop on both machines.

Now you can log onto the Windows machine remotely (when nobody else is using it), and open NOSE, or hex editor on the Windows machine and all saves/mods will be available on both machines.

Make sense?

If you're having problems, the more information you give, the better the help you will get.  "it's not working" etc doesn't give people anything to go on to solve your problem.

Like look at how much Jer wrote to help you, and you just say basically "it's not working"

A good message goes along the lines of...

1. i was trying to accomplish X

2. i tried doing Y (DETAILS)

3. the problem i had was Z (DEEETAILLSS)

4. i checked on google and found XX but it didn't solve it, so now i'm here to ask for help

45 minutes ago, Jlnhlsegafan said:

I don't know HOW to connect.

He's asking if the other computer is set up yet? Because we're in the dark about what you have done so far.

8 hours ago, Jlnhlsegafan said:

But my mom won't allow me to buy one due to $$$

Using NOSE to change the names should take under an hour, you could do it on a friend's computer? A school computer?

3 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Using NOSE to change the names should take under an hour, you could do it on a friend's computer? A school computer?

1) I don't know anyone who has a Windows computer.

2) The school computers almost always have something missing when I try to open the program.

OK, the barebones hack for this is :

Use a hex editor, and replace the old names with the new names, making sure to replace names with other names that are the same length. That way, you don't have to deal with updating the name length bytes.

In the case where an existing name in the ROM is too long, you can cover some of the letters with spaces. So "Alexander Mogilny" could be come "Sonic Hedgehog    ".