NHL'94 Forums

All time great teams hack---has it been done?

joeljoel1947

Just curious as to if there is a rom that exists for all time greatest players for each team. By this I mean the top players that ever played for any given team for the history of that team.

I found one on this site, but it's missing Gordie Howe (arguably the greatest player in NHL history) on my Red Wings and a few other players are missing plus bunch of the ratings are screwy for a bunch of other teams and players. 

Anyhow just hoping there is a good one out there or if not, maybe it inspires someone to make one!

thanks!!

13 hours ago, joeljoel1947 said:

Just curious as to if there is a rom that exists for all time greatest players for each team. By this I mean the top players that ever played for any given team for the history of that team.

I found one on this site, but it's missing Gordie Howe (arguably the greatest player in NHL history) on my Red Wings and a few other players are missing plus bunch of the ratings are screwy for a bunch of other teams and players. 

Anyhow just hoping there is a good one out there or if not, maybe it inspires someone to make one!

thanks!!

I've thought about this.....

What teams would you suggest when you say any given team?
How far back would you go?
Just seems a little to overwhelming, but with the 100 years of the NHL and the 100 greatest players it has crossed my mind quite a few times.
Even my decade teams frustrated me to some extent.
As always it is the rating the players to create a fun rom, that is not just a bunch of maxed out clones.
That said maybe making it "even steven" would be the way to go.

Where is the one you found.  Can you post a link?

To do all-time teams, I think: 

1. Your best bet is to keep it mostly "best lines ever."  Use LA's Triple Crown Line, Buffalo's French Connection, Detroit's Production Line, etc. That way not every player has to be a 100 or whatever. Also, there would be fewer "time leaps" within a roster. The original 6, though, would have a true all-time team. For example, Montreal would have Beliveau playing with Richard and Lafleur.

2. You would have to let go of the strict statistical formula because it's too hard to say which specific year you are using. Be creative and use our inexact impressions from history.

3. If you use the 21 teams (pre-San Jose), you would basically be making a "best of the 70s and 80s" rom (cool!). The original 6 could dip further back in time to include Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, etc.

I forgot to say that I used these ideas while creating a solo-play Rom I call "NHL Dream." My 13 cpu opponent teams have all-time players rated 100-120. The 8 teams I use are all teams that hadn't won a Cup as of 1990, and my 1st line forwards are mostly rated low 70s through low 80s. 

2 hours ago, CoachMac said:

I've thought about this.....

What teams would you suggest when you say any given team?
How far back would you go?
Just seems a little to overwhelming, but with the 100 years of the NHL and the 100 greatest players it has crossed my mind quite a few times.
Even my decade teams frustrated me to some extent.
As always it is the rating the players to create a fun rom, that is not just a bunch of maxed out clones.
That said maybe making it "even steven" would be the way to go.

Where is the one you found.  Can you post a link?

Can you just make a Rom with the Oilers in it, and start a league, and I'll take them please, McDavid, Messier, Gretzky, Coffey, Lowe, Fuhr, Ranford, Klima, Kurri, Ryan Smith, Glenn Anderson, Esa Tikk, just to name a few!

16 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Can you just make a Rom with the Oilers in it, and start a league, and I'll take them please, McDavid, Messier, Gretzky, Coffey, Lowe, Fuhr, Ranford, Klima, Kurri, Ryan Smith, Glenn Anderson, Esa Tikk, just to name a few!

All-time Canadiens would be better and maybe a couple others.:big_smile:

Hey guys!  The rom I am speaking of is this one:

Looks like I misinterpreted what it was (it's the best TOUGH GUYS from each team all-time as opposed to BEST PLAYERS) hence why Gordie Howe and Yzerman aren't on my Wings, although Gordie was pretty dang tough too!

Anyhow, same concept as that, but with the best players from each team all-time.  Parameters would have to be that the player who spent the most time with one team in their career would go to that team (so like Brett Hull would go to the Blues instead of my Wings as he spent far more time there).

As for how many or what teams, I think the more the merrier, but heck I'd be happy with just an original 6 all-timers team for starters!!

I'm kind of shocked this hasn't been done yet really.  I'm also way into the tecmobowl.org site and roms and there are all-time great team roms there a plenty!

@Lupz27 I think my wings would give your Oilers a run for their money--Howe, Yzerman, Federov, Lidstrom, Abel, Sawchuk, Lindsay, Delvecchio, Konstantinov, Datsuk, Zetterberg, Chelios, Shannahan, Osgood, Holmstrom, Redmond, Probert, Kocer, Larionov, Kozlov, McCarty, Draper, etc.

@Matt55 care to share your "NHL Dream" rom with us??  Sounds super challenging!!

5 hours ago, slapshot67 said:

it has been done before,  here are a couple of roms. I believe swos/mahavishnu created the allstars and I created the greatest teams. they are rather old and due for an update.

All-Stars.bin

NHL Greatest Teams.bin

That one of yours is sweet Slapshot.
I Love it and had lost it, so thanks for posting.

A couple questions on it.

Why the 55 Red Wings? 
52 and 54 Wings were way better.
55 was also one of Gordie's worst years.

No 50's or 60's Canadiens?

67 Leafs? Historic, but not he best team 62, 63, and 64 were all way better.

61 Blackhawks? Won the Cup, so I guess have to get the nod, but not the Best Hawk team from that era.

It looks like you found what you were looking for, but since you asked, I am sharing my "NHL Dream."

Since my skills are limited, I only made changes using NOSE.  Players' pictures, team ratings, graphics, etc. are not accurate.  However, I did use Coach Mac's '87 ROM as a base since I love the 80s and love his work.

Many of my decisions will make no sense to others, but I do think that the game is a fun solo game.

You can choose from 8 teams that had not won a cup as of 1990: Quebec, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Washington, Los Angeles, Vancouver, St. Louis, or Minnesota.  I set playoff brackets so that only 4 of these weaker teams show up at a time(1 in each division) and the other 12 teams are better opponents.  Your opponents are suped-up cpu teams whose player ratings reflect a team ranking (A, B, or C) that I assigned each.  The best opponent in the Wales is Montreal; the best opponent in the Campbell's is Edmonton.  Only 10 skaters are included for most teams.  I play with line changes ON for 7 minute periods, so the cpu and I would rarely need a checking line.  If you do use line changes, please know that most 2nd lines are an 80s line, not an all-time greats line (except Montreal).  The timeline cut off is 1989-90, so Detroit will have Howe and Yzerman but not Lidstrom.  Edmonton will have Gretzky and Coffey but not McDavid.  Pittsburgh will have Lemieux but not Jagr or Crosby. Really, it's mostly a 70s and 80s ROM that goes back further in time for certain all-time greats. 

You can also play with my favorite NHL 80s stars against a suped-up Soviet team.

Remember that I call it "NHL Dream" because it is not historically accurate but a weird mix of my childhood memories and impressions.  For me personally, it is a lot of fun!

NHL Dream.bin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt55 said:

It looks like you found what you were looking for, but since you asked, I am sharing my "NHL Dream."

Since my skills are limited, I only made changes using NOSE.  Players' pictures, team ratings, graphics, etc. are not accurate.  However, I did use Coach Mac's '87 ROM as a base since I love the 80s and love his work.

Many of my decisions will make no sense to others, but I do think that the game is a fun solo game.

You can choose from 8 teams that had not won a cup as of 1990: Quebec, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Washington, Los Angeles, Vancouver, St. Louis, or Minnesota.  I set playoff brackets so that only 4 of these weaker teams show up at a time(1 in each division) and the other 12 teams are better opponents.  Your opponents are suped-up cpu teams whose player ratings reflect a team ranking (A, B, or C) that I assigned each.  The best opponent in the Wales is Montreal; the best opponent in the Campbell's is Edmonton.  Only 10 skaters are included for most teams.  I play with line changes ON for 7 minute periods, so the cpu and I would rarely need a checking line.  If you do use line changes, please know that most 2nd lines are an 80s line, not an all-time greats line (except Montreal).  The timeline cut off is 1989-90, so Detroit will have Howe and Yzerman but not Lidstrom.  Edmonton will have Gretzky and Coffey but not McDavid.  Pittsburgh will have Lemieux but not Jagr or Crosby. Really, it's mostly a 70s and 80s ROM that goes back further in time for certain all-time greats. 

You can also play with my favorite NHL 80s stars against a suped-up Soviet team.

Remember that I call it "NHL Dream" because it is not historically accurate but a weird mix of my childhood memories and impressions.  For me personally, it is a lot of fun!

NHL Dream.bin

Cool Ideas:big_smile:

Need to give a shoutout to Slapshot as well, as his roms are the base for mine.
i like your ideas about solo play.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2017 at 5:40 AM, joeljoel1947 said:

thanks!!

I'm working on an NHL 94 ROM that takes 30 NHL Teams (All but Vegas), and I pick the greatest team in those teams franchises. For example, for Pittsburgh, I picked the 92-93 Penguins. For Nashville, I picked the 16-17 Predators.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:45 PM, slapshot67 said:

I took the last cup team before they won again years later, like I said it is due for an update, now that we have a 32 team rom, I will give it an update.

I'd be happy to assist with an update of your ROM @slapshot67. Let me know if you'd like some help!