NHL'94 Forums

Premium Retro League 4

CoachMac

o6.PNG
WBF, CB Fix, Pens ON, but reduced to 1 minute.
Team Draft (Using 1952-1967 Roms)
-----6 Teams
-----Rom will be randomly drawn for each season.
20-70 game regular season in 2 weeks.
-----You must play each team at least 4 times, but can play each opponent up to 14 times.
-----Regular Season will last 2 weeks, but will not begin until we can start uploading games.
Top 4 make the Playoffs (based solely on points)
-----1v3 and 2v4 (Best of 7)
-----Deadline for Semi-Finals will be 1 week.
-----Winners will meet in the Final and again have 1 week deadline.

Edited by CoachMac
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was going to wait until Brutus got his league up and running and offer this as a supplement for guys who want to play more, but....:nothing:

So....sign up here if you are interested.
See the post above this for details on the league.
Awards will be bobbleheads and/or t-shirts

League is closed.
Thanks, I think we have a good group.
Please pick teams so i can send to @chaos and we can get going.
Summary of rom and the rom below.

NHL'67.bin

Draft Order

#1 Mike Gartner (Chicago BlackHawks)
#2 Coach (Montreal Canadiens)
#3 Aqua (Detroit Red Wings)
#4 Atomic (Toronto Maple Leafs)
#5 Tex (New York Rangers)
#6 Ice (Boston Bruins)

We will use the 1967 rom this season.

The last season of the Original 6 and playing a brutal 70 game schedule 14 games against each team.
The BlackHawks dominated the 1967 Regular Season and are the best team in the rom.
Chicago had 4 of the 6 First Team All-Stars. Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull, Kenny Wharram, and Pierre Pilote.
Stan Mikita won the Hart Trophy and led the league with 97 points.
Bobby Hull scored 52 goals for his third 50 goal season and only the fifth ever.
Glenn Hall spent the first half of the season painting his BARN in Alberta, but came back for the second half and was selected as the Second Team All-Star Goalie.
Harry Howell won the Norris Trophy and said he was glad he did, because he predicted a young rookie for the Bruins would dominate that trophy for years to come, That kid won the Calder for Rookie of the Year.
You guessed it Bobby Orr.
The Canadiens finished second and were coming off back to back Cup wins in '65 and '66.  Jean Beliveau missed a large portion of the season
The Leafs had a rocky regular season, but still managed to finish third.
The Rangers made the playoffs for the first time since 1962, led by Ed Giacomin in net, Harry Howell, and Don Marshall who would have won the Selke if they had it back then.
The Red Wings missed the Playoffs despite a potent offense led by Gordie Howe, Norm Ullman, and Alex Delvecchio, but got poor goaltending and weak defensive play.
The Bruins finished last after a strong start to the season but the pieces of the future championships were coming together with Orr, Cheevers, McKenzie, and Bucyk.

The Playoffs in Original 6 Times pitted the #1 team against the #3 and #2 vs #4
The Over the Hill Gang #3 Maple Leafs upset the #1 Blackhawks 4 games to 2 in the Semi-Finals and the #2 Canadiens swept the #4 Rangers.
In the Finals the Leafs won in 6 games led by Dave Keon and Terry Sawchuk.  Keon won the Conn Smythe Trophy. 

As far as the rom goes Chicago is easily the best team.
Montreal, Toronto, New York, and Detroit are fairly even.
Boston is a step below.

All the players are modeled after a 94 player though I have made minor changes mostly to weight, handedness, and aggression.
Advantages are set to how teams played in 1967.
For team overall I added up the starting 6 and divided by 6.

Team (Overall) PP/PK   Home/Away

Chicago (86) STR/AVG STR/STR
Montreal (72) STR/STR AVG/AVG
Toronto (72) Weak/Weak STR/Weak
New York (72) AVG/STR Weak/AVG
Detroit (68) AVG/AVG AVG/Brutal
Boston (63) Weak/Weak Weak/Weak

1966-67_THN17_large.jpg1966-67_THN16_large.jpg

Edited by CoachMac
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Are we drafting players, or just pick a team and get whatever squad they had in the 1967?

Teams, It will be the ultimate handicapper.

54 minutes ago, AtomicRaven said:

Chicago please.

Ha!:big_smile:

Not your pick!

I will take them at #2 if Gartner passes

2 hours ago, jackandjose said:

Looks like a fun league! I like the schedule adjustments you made from summer league format.

Lots of great ideas from Summer League.
I had considered a Double Elimination Playoff.

15 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Just noticed this.  Is it 2 points per win, 1 for tie?

Yes.

1v3 and 2v4

plus we will do a 5v6 consolation round.

Predictions for PRL 4 (1967)

#1 Chicago @MikeGartner22 this guy is a rising Superstar.  He played the full slate of 160 games in @jackandjose Summer League.  He has been regularly mixing it up in 2v2 action, he did well at the Long Island Retro-fest and has excellent GC skills.  He has by far and away the best roster in this rom.  The Hawks are loaded and the best team at forward, on defense, and in goal. @MikeGartner22 was brought in as coach to do what Billy Reay could not. I think he can do what the real 1967 Hawks could not and bring home the Stanley Cup.

#2 New York @corbettkb the Lou Gehrig of '94, a true Ironman, no one plays more or plays harder, He has a real opportunity to capture his first online championship.  The Rangers have some speed and talent and an All-Star Goalie.  Can the deliver a parade on Broadway.

#3 Boston @IceStorm70 this will take some mad skills to lead this team to the promised land, but I believe they have the right man in Boston.  Ice has 6/6 skating Bobby Orr, but not much else.  His skills will be tested.  This is a team @angryjay93 would love. The question is can Ice be patient and change the Bruins fate from 1967.  Can he start the Hockey revival in Boston a year early.  We think so!

#4 Detroit @aqualizard this is a tough call between 4 and 5.  Aqua has improved over the last year and I am giving him the nod for the 4 spot based on his teams skill.  Weak Goaltending will test just how far Aqua has come in his GC.

#5 Toronto @AtomicRaven this could guy has skills and has been beating Aqua in preseason action so this pick will probably put a bee in his bonnet.  Toronto has a fairly weak roster and will be to much for Atomic to overcome over the course of a 70 game season.

#6 Montreal @CoachMac not quite enough here talent wise for Montreal to compete with me at the sticks.  The '66 Canadiens would have made me more competitive.

Playoffs

Semi-Finals

#3 Boston over #1 Chicago in 7
#2 New York over #4 Detroit in 6

Consolation Round

#5 Toronto over #6 Montreal in 5

Stanley Cup Final

#2 New York over #3 Boston in 7

@corbettkb is my pick to win PRL 4 (1967)!:big_smile:

Season starts tonight!

Edited by CoachMac
  • Like 1

My own predicted Top 3, based on win %:

#1 Ice.  I remember in the Princes vs Paupers league, the dude had Anaheim or similar garbage and won it all!

#2 Tex. Dude has the skills, and his team isn't horrible.

#3 Coach. I didn't like him putting himself #6 above, so I got him at #3. :)

As for the ACTUAL standings, based on total wins, that is going to be:
Tex, MikeG, and Coach -- in that order --  who are going to play 100% of games no doubt...

Edit: And Coach your prediction put a bee in my bonnet, not Atomic's.  We have played 5 series so far, and he has won 3. I ain't getting rag-dolled here; it has been close. :P

Edit 2: Also, I think Tex has won Classic B and VHL before, but I could be mis-remembering. (So he has won an online league previously. But maybe you meant PRL, specifically...)

Edited by aqualizard

Season is on.

Huge Thanks to @chaos for setting us up to upload games.

@corbettkb and I kicked it off tonight with a 7 game set.
I would suggest that as the form of play.  We played all 7 at my place, next time at his.

0-6-1 start for Montreal could spell trouble for me.:beaten:

This will be a tough competitive league.

Regular Season ends on October 1.

Semi-Finals done by October 8.

Finals by October 15.

8 hours ago, CoachMac said:

Season is on.

Huge Thanks to @chaos for setting us up to upload games.

@corbettkb and I kicked it off tonight with a 7 game set.
I would suggest that as the form of play.  We played all 7 at my place, next time at his.

0-6-1 start for Montreal could spell trouble for me.:beaten:

This will be a tough competitive league.

Regular Season ends on October 1.

Semi-Finals done by October 8.

Finals by October 15.

I like that format. Play seven at once.