NHL'94 Forums

Creating a ROM, attributes, with players from different eras

Vevetzky

Hi guys!

Been reading the forums in the last few days trying to learn everything I need to create my own ROM. I've learned a lot, thanks to your input and very interesting discussion! You guys are beasts.

So I had this idea of creating a new ROM with, for example, the following teams (please add any suggestions!):

- All-time* best [country] born (federov with ovechkin, for example)
- All-time best [franchise] players (have crosby w/ lemieux, gretzky/mcdavid, laine/selanne, etc.)
- Rookie team (Rookie Lemieux, Selanne, Crosby, Bossy, Nieuwendyk, Larmer...)
- Undrafted / late picks?
- Small Form factor, jumbos, ...
- Etc.

*all time, or maybe since ... 1980

I'm not really familiar with leagues, but I think this would not be suitable for leagues. I'm just doing this for fun.

-> Obviously I have players from different eras, sometimes even the same player from 2 different years. I think the only way I can build these rosters is based on stats. Also, since i have players from a while back, I can't used advanced stats. I MIGHT or might not get creative here and there depending on how my ratings come out.

Anyways my question would be: there is so much information all over this forum on some of the attributes; but is there a widely respected or accepted approach to defining all attributes? Any known approach? I know OFF was based on points, def on +/- if I'm not mistaking, but how about speed and agility, etc.? I did see one thread asking this specific question, but it appears to have died before it was completely debated.

An alternative approach to stats would be to find an extraction of all games attributes from 93 and up and readjust them on the same scale. But that would leave out all players from before those games. Unless I use another method for them....! Better stick to all stats based.

Any ideas? Did I miss and obvious source of information in my research? Team ideas?

Oh! And I saw there are bugs that need to be fixed (weigth bug on gens). Anything else? Cool features that can be implemented in the roms? I was planning to use NOPE, btw. 

Hope this post isnt too messy.

Thanks guys, have fun playing!

It's NOSE not NOPE :D

One thing i know is that shooting accuracy was tightly based on the player's shooting % that year. And that's why the defensemen tend to have such terrible accuracy, because d-men rarely shoot even near 10%.

For speed, agility, etc, basically all you can do is try to read about players or find clips of old games. The Hockey Hall of fame website has a small blurb about just about every player ever, from which you can often glean a player's main strengths (http://www.hhof.com/html/search.shtml). You probably want to give a player a target 'overall' rating, then just make it work based on a few things you know about him, filling in the other values in order to hit the required Overall.

It looks like goaltender Defensive awareness is closely related to their save percentage for the year: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15437-goaltender-defensive-awareness/

CoachMac has a template for rating players: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18123-ratings-template/

KingRaph made an epic thread about player ratings that make players good to actually play with, but I can't seem to find it, maybe someone else can link it...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, smozoma said:

It's NOSE not NOPE :D

One thing i know is that shooting accuracy was tightly based on the player's shooting % that year. And that's why the defensemen tend to have such terrible accuracy, because d-men rarely shoot even near 10%.

For speed, agility, etc, basically all you can do is try to read about players or find clips of old games. The Hockey Hall of fame website has a small blurb about just about every player ever, from which you can often glean a player's main strengths (http://www.hhof.com/html/search.shtml). You probably want to give a player a target 'overall' rating, then just make it work based on a few things you know about him, filling in the other values in order to hit the required Overall.

It looks like goaltender Defensive awareness is closely related to their save percentage for the year: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15437-goaltender-defensive-awareness/

CoachMac has a template for rating players: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18123-ratings-template/

KingRaph made an epic thread about player ratings that make players good to actually play with, but I can't seem to find it, maybe someone else can link it...

I will just second that the HHOF blurbs are priceless for what you want to do.
My template has worked great and I am very happy with the results based on how those players played when used on our retro league.

My template covers everything but skating speed and agility.

Good Luck and Have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the references and your template, coach! 

So it will definitely be a combination of stats and reputation. I will take notes on how I made it :)

I'll update this post eventually.

If anyone has ideas, comments or more info please jump in!

• 1 year later...

I'm very interested in making an all-time greats ROM, if it's not too much work. I'm very well versed in all of the top 1000+ players of all-time,  and wouldn't have much trouble building up all their attributes compared to eachother. I've read up a lot on what aspects of the game the attributes drive. But still, I don't know where to start.  Here are my questions:

1. Could I do this using the recent mod that contains 32 teams, aggressiveness pinned down and the weight big fixed? I feel like that's an improvement even if it's not used in official league play.

2 . Should I just create a starting lineup or do a full roster for each team? Would it be a waste of time if no one even plays with line changes anymore?

3. Do I need to have programming knowledge? Or is there some sort of ROM editing app that makes this easy? I remember back in 2002-04 I used to use something called Blommann's NHL editor to tweak player ratings

4. Would anyone actually be interested in this or would it just be a vanity project for a historian?

5 hours ago, seventieslord said:

I'm very interested in making an all-time greats ROM, if it's not too much work. I'm very well versed in all of the top 1000+ players of all-time,  and wouldn't have much trouble building up all their attributes compared to eachother. I've read up a lot on what aspects of the game the attributes drive. But still, I don't know where to start.  Here are my questions:

1. Could I do this using the recent mod that contains 32 teams, aggressiveness pinned down and the weight big fixed? I feel like that's an improvement even if it's not used in official league play.

2 . Should I just create a starting lineup or do a full roster for each team? Would it be a waste of time if no one even plays with line changes anymore?

3. Do I need to have programming knowledge? Or is there some sort of ROM editing app that makes this easy? I remember back in 2002-04 I used to use something called Blommann's NHL editor to tweak player ratings

4. Would anyone actually be interested in this or would it just be a vanity project for a historian?

Check out @CoachMac's historical ROMs, he is our resident historian and ROM creator!

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18009-coach-macs-historic-roms/

As far as making your own ROMs, the NOSE tool allows you to make roster edits very quickly and easily.  Graphic hacks take a little more time and effort with Tile Molester, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad.  

Ultimately any ROM will take many hours to complete, without considering the amount of time it would take to rate players.  

Check out the hacking and editing section of the forums to get a better sense of what is involved, there is plenty of information and a bunch of modders who will be happy to answer questions/help (including me)!

• Thanks 1