NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 - Set plays, and how to pull them off.

jer_33

There are definitely more than a few set plays in NHL94 (at least on the SEGA), and I think it would be great for the new players to understand how to work on them, and how to potentially defend them.

The ones that stand out to me are:

1. offensive zone face-off, one-timer (C wins face-off to winger or defender, quick one-timer pass and score)
  2. neutral zone face-off, break away (C wins face-off and quick passes ahead for a breakaway, deke score)

Any tips from the A/B players out there?

Any other set plays you've witnessed?

Any advice on how to defend against them?

Instructional videos @TomKabs93?

• Like 2

1. RW breaking in at the blue line with the disk
  2. hug the wall to the bottom of the faceoff circle
  3. hold the puck until the attacker commits so that you pass it just before you get crushed into the boards
  4. pass the puck hard around the wall, behind the net to the LW
  5. LW retrieves the puck at the opposite wall 
  6. LW feeds the puck to the center for the one-timer

The goalie can get stuck behind the net chasing the puck as it goes behind him. This is a pretty cheap, but somewhat consistent way to get an ENG.

• Like 2

I have a lot I'd like to write on this, but as far as set one-timers, here's my instructional vid/graphic on one-timers, including the set play you mentioned:  http://nhl94strategy.com/?page_id=133

I try two different ways to defend this.  One is to immediately charge with the center to get in the way of the pass/one-timer.  The other way I try (and have seen others like @IceStorm70 do this successfully) is to immediately change to goalie to reposition up, cutting off the angle and increasing the chances you make the save.  It's a nerve-wracking moment and sometimes you can't do jack about it.  

The most common move I see people do off a faceoff win to their defensemen is to pass to one of their wingers.  You see it all the time.  If you can anticipate this pass, switch to a defensemen and crush the winger.  At worst, even if your opponent doesn't make the pass, you can still take out the winger, eliminating one option for a few seconds.  

Depending on who I'm playing, I would give different advice on how to handle winning and losing a faceoff.

And on @clockwise's play, I think you will have more success if you pass it softly (backhanded) around the boards vs. hard (#4).  The slower puck makes it more likely your winger will get the puck.  Also, if you have a speedy guy, you can usually dump it right into the open net if the goalie gets caught chasing.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kingraph said:

And on @clockwise's play, I think you will have more success if you pass it softly (backhanded) around the boards vs. hard (#4).  The slower puck makes it more likely your winger will get the puck.  Also, if you have a speedy guy, you can usually dump it right into the open net if the goalie gets caught chasing.  

Look, Mr. all-time-greatest-NHL94-world-record-holder-that-get's-to-play-on-the-jumbotron-with-Ken-Daneyko: if I want your advice, I'll ask for it.

jk love ya bro

• Haha 3

1. Offensive zone faceoff win to  dman --> one-timer pass to winger in the middle

2. Faceoff to winger and accelerate towards the net immediately

3. Offensive zone faceoff win to winger against boards --> crease cut

Those are the only ones I ever used.

Edited by Premium
  • Like 3

Pulling the goalie and then replacing him after he runs through the faceoff dot before a bench-side defensive zone faceoff lol

That was a mouthful

Edited by TomKabs93
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Only way I can figure out to try and defend the one timer off the draw is instead of trying to win the draw you angle up or down and try and cut off lane for that pass.  

On 1/24/2018 at 11:27 AM, jer_33 said:
  1. offensive zone face-off, one-timer (C wins face-off to winger or defender, quick one-timer pass and score

This is the "main one" in my book.  The best dude at them, IMO, was Jack Vandal.  He used a keyboard.  Seemed to score on them about 20% of faceoffs near the net, until I started just pressing C like a madman to check right off the faceoff.

I myself was getting proficient at them -- say hitting about 5% or so in faceoffs near the net -- with an iBuffalo controller.  Switched to the original MK-1650 fatty and am now about 1%.   But like I (and others) have said, defending with a C-check usually does the trick.