NHL'94 Forums

Other versions?

I've been visiting for a while before opening an account here. The further progression of NHL into the PS4 era has taken me further and further from the series in its current form. I now play pretty much exclusively Legacy and 04 and 09. But 94 with today's rosters is a special treat similar to watching an old classic film in a theater. What I'm wondering is whether there are any communities at all for the other NHL games. Is it really just 04 that gets attention or do ROMs exist for the later versions?

And also, any opinions on the differences between the Skip/slapshot and Naples ROMs of recent years? People just make reference to them being better than the other in the comments but without really saying why.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by tinpanalley

afaik, only 3 games are getting love:
- the 16-bit games are here on this forum. whilst the mega drive games (especially 94) is the main focus, you can see the other games and also the snes counterparts but not with same rate as nhl 94
- nhl 04 is on the nhl04rebuilt forum which has mods up to the wazoo, including what i could call the rebuilding of the 16-bit games using nhl 04, the current season and even more ancient seasons of hockey and also european not-up-to-date stuff
- 09 has three forums, not really english-friendly. you have rhl-mod team, foused on the khl, wasserlasser, focused on the mainly german-side of hockey and splinterice, the somewhat mix of both. the tbh/thebreakaway nhl 09 community is on both of the latter forums, but beware, if russian or german is not your forte, you might be in a pickle, but surely the forums have english-language folk who can help you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leader021 said:

afaik, only 3 games are getting love...

Wow, ok, so I guess I do know what's out there already.
I was just hoping to see some of the later Genesis cartridges get updated. I think some of them like 98 play really good.  The 2K series doesn't get talked about much either. They're some of the best hockey I ever played. 2K6 on 360 was fantastic, I'm furious that I sold it years ago, very hard to find now. But 2K10 with good sliders and updated rosters is in my top 3 of hockey games.

13 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Wow, ok, so I guess I do know what's out there already.
I was just hoping to see some of the later Genesis cartridges get updated. I think some of them like 98 play really good.  The 2K series doesn't get talked about much either. They're some of the best hockey I ever played. 2K6 on 360 was fantastic, I'm furious that I sold it years ago, very hard to find now. But 2K10 with good sliders and updated rosters is in my top 3 of hockey games.

Someone has rosters for NHL 2K8 on the PS3.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:19 AM, tinpanalley said:

I've been visiting for a while before opening an account here. The further progression of NHL into the PS4 era has taken me further and further from the series in its current form. I now play pretty much exclusively Legacy and 04 and 09. But 94 with today's rosters is a special treat similar to watching an old classic film in a theater. What I'm wondering is whether there are any communities at all for the other NHL games. Is it really just 04 that gets attention or do ROMs exist for the later versions?

And also, any opinions on the differences between the Skip/slapshot and Naples ROMs of recent years? People just make reference to them being better than the other in the comments but without really saying why.

Thanks for any help!

Hey @tinpanalley - thanks for your question. I think the major difference between me/Slapshot67's 2018 ROM and Naples is that ours does not change any game physics. I believe Naples changed the speed burst down to ~75% of normal burst. As far as I know, that is the only gameplay difference.

Our ROM has updated rosters where I update them quite a bit, as does Naples. Our rosters, ratings, and player cards will all be different.

But our 32nd team is all of the Hall of Famers from the original 94 ROM that could fit on a roster (ie. Mario, Bourque, Roy, etc. all with original ratings). 

Both ROMs, I think, are weight bug fixed. That means that the heavier guys are harder to knock over, which is opposite of the original ROM. That's why Roenick kills people and is only a 4-weight.

I hope this helps!

-Skip

P.S. - I run a league online with our ROM, let me know if you're interested.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 1:14 PM, skip said:

Both ROMs, I think, are weight bug fixed. That means that the heavier guys are harder to knock over, which is opposite of the original ROM. That's why Roenick kills people and is only a 4-weight.

This totally helps, yeah. I can't stop playing some of these updated ROMs. Amazing.
So, what's the deal with this weight bug? I read about it here on the site. How did that happen? Do we think that was a mistake by the dev team? Did it have some intentional purpose?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinpanalley said:

This totally helps, yeah. I can't stop playing some of these updated ROMs. Amazing.
So, what's the deal with this weight bug? I read about it here on the site. How did that happen? Do we think that was a mistake by the dev team? Did it have some intentional purpose?

It was probably a simple mistake. Basically they just mixed up a subtraction operation (a-b instead of b-a).  I'm not sure why they never noticed it (although I don't think many of the people involved actually followed hockey, so probably had no idea who should have been good at checking). There's also the small chance that maybe they noticed the mistake but they found the game more fun that way so left it.

I think the mistake may not have been in the first game? (NHL Hockey (92)). So maybe someone was playing around with the game settings and forgot to change it back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...