NHL'94 Forums

Plablegs 3 or ???

Brutus

Are you in for Next league & what's your vote for league setup?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in ?? (Start date likely to be 2nd week of March)

2. 2. Preferred league setup

• Plablegs 3, same setup, run it back
    • ET Tu Brute setup
    • Team draft/draft after
    • Dynasty league

Ok vote in/out & then one of 4 options 

Plablegs 3 is a draft based off of nhl94 rosters, no wbf, static, no penalties w/ B check still fully functional, boosted goalies & quick goalie switch control w/ increase roaming range.  We just finished Plablegs 2.

Et tu Brute is a draft involving players from all eras mixing up draft pool of players each season w/ nhl94 & other older roms/newer roms, supposed to be a keeper league, & is WBF, static optional, no goalie boosts, . Ideally anyone playing in this is committed to several seasons.  Last time, it ran great but we lost over half the league by the time it would run again, so it would be a fresh restart with no keepers from season 1.

THIRD OPTION is a new idea similar to an old league.  First we run a draft of teams.  After each coach picks his team, each coach then picks his starting lineup from the team.  All remaining players PLUS all players from teams not selected will be dumped into a draft pool.  Draft order for 5 rounds will be based off of coaching talent plus team selection (if you have Detroit, you will likely not be picking first!!).  After this, trades will be allowed.  

IF this league is selected, we would use NO WBF, penalties w/ reduced times, static optional, no goalie boost to ratings.

4th league is the old idea, the Dynasty league.  It is an AUCTION based league, where you bid on players instead of draft them.  It's keeper based with a salary cap and each season player's ratings change.

Season starts with 1990 ROM, where whatever players are in that ROM and their ratings is what will be used for Season 1.  Then, in season 2, it goes to 1991 ROM, where if your guy retired in real life 1990, he is no longer available on the 1991 ROM, so no longer on your team.  Any NEW rookies in the 1991 ROM plus any free agents would be bid on again in the off season before Season 2.  And then repeat all the way say to 1997.   These ROMs/Ratings would be posted well ahead of the auction, and a salary cap system, contract length based system would be used.

46 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

My vote is for Plablegs 3.  It went well.  It is simple  and with sensible tweaks.  Let's do it again.  (I assume there is a new draft? We don't keep our existing squads, right?)

No keepers from Plablegs 2.  Plablegs 3 would be a fresh start.

19 minutes ago, jackandjose said:

Any chance we can play more games this season?  Plablegs 2 seemed like it was over before it started.  Ditto for VHL.  I feel that 2 games against each opponent is just not enough.

I feel that it starts to feel like a chore (for some people) when you have to play so many games. 

15 minutes ago, Premium said:

I feel that it starts to feel like a chore (for some people) when you have to play so many games. 

Yeah this

While some of us want more games, others especially if they are having a poor season will find it difficult to bring themselves to log on, and play IMO.  Firing up the PC for a 2 game series is not that time consuming even when you don’t really want to, but if you gotta play a 4 game set your talking about an hour, and guys will find reasons for why they can’t play especially when they are having the said bad season.

Maybe I’m wrong just my .02.

I agree, sometimes it can become a chore for some.  However, right now we've got a good group of committed players that I think would enjoy the extra games.  Plus, plab games are so fast you can play 4 in 35 minutes quite easily.  3 would be cool too.  At least you'd have a rubber match to play when you split.

I won't be any help here, but I see both sides to what JJ is saying. We have a solid group of 12-15 guys that probably could handle 4x vs. all players. But, history says we wouldn't get to 100% again, which is cool to do. I could go either way.

Yeah, I am good either way, regarding more games.  These short, tight leagues seem to be going well. (Seems like it is the same cast of characters in every league now, pretty well.)  I would love more games as well, but am afraid the system would get broken.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Guys that like to play (like me and Tex) can do exis. :)

Everyone has been reached out to in some form.  Some take longer to check in than others.

As for games on schedule, I do believe that IF regular games meant more to stats && playoffs, then I'd be willing to push for more games on schedule.

As it stands, we don't reward home/away advantages much && the top guys end up mostly at the top, and stats mean little given the changing coaches/rules/schedules league to league.

So putting extra games on schedule seems to stress the league with minimal reward.  Also, adding high home/away advantages back into teams code seems to ruin the chemistry of the game/play because it effects checking, shooting & a lot more than guys just player a little better now that they are home, which is why most prefer to remove most of the home/away advantages .

But, way more exis happen around the draft/activity/etc, that's why I prefer a longer preseason.  Keeps the traders active & gives time to get to know your team before "real games" start for those not trading or on the fence about a trade.

• Like 3

The 2 game series has always been my preference, I think it breeds more activity as guys know that they can get a bunch of games in and nobody is waiting around for too long. 4 gamers are often enough that guys won't stick around and/or enough for some guys that one series is all they'll play in a night. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2018 at 4:04 PM, jackandjose said:

I agree, sometimes it can become a chore for some.  However, right now we've got a good group of committed players that I think would enjoy the extra games.  Plus, plab games are so fast you can play 4 in 35 minutes quite easily.  3 would be cool too.  At least you'd have a rubber match to play when you split.

I really like the 3 games as well. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 9:53 AM, Brutus said:

It is an AUCTION based league, where you bid on players instead of draft them. 

So, im not necessarily for keepers, as the draft is the most fun part however love the auction idea + this would lead to a viable way to weight it based on the B players having a larger pot to use to acquire players than the A players.  huh-huh?

So I'm going to finalize this tonight, along with draft order & division/rules/schedules.  I won't really start on it until later, so if anyone you know is considering to join but hasn't voted, reach out to them & have them let me know.

As soon as I have google doc set up & draft order posted, we will slow roll the start of the draft.  Official start will be Monday.

knowing you crazies, probably be in rd 5 by then :)