NHL'94 Forums

[October 28, 2018 - Vancouver, BC] - KING of '94 III

halifax

On 9/25/2018 at 5:14 PM, halifax said:

You’re too kind bud. 

Im much farther down. 

As as an aside there’s one guy who’s from van and played Jamil in some exhis and did really well. 

His cousin used to play online. And will be there too. Dethrox was his name. Really good player. 

Snes will be a bloodbath. 

Zubin is the guy who I played in Van.  I'd also put him 3-1.  He's an exceptionally good player.  He's strong mentally and does somethings in the game I've never seen before.   I can take him in a best of 7, but in a best of  3 or best of 1, it's really a toss up.  I'd put Zubin's friends at 4-1.  SNES Vancouver bracket will likely be the toughest in any competition/system yet.  

Can't wait to see what happens in Van city. It will be nice to sit back and watch without the stress of competition!

I would put the SNES odds something like this:

@Jammer - KO94IIsnes 2-1

@annatar 3-1

Kris Mack 4-1

@halifax and the other Vancouver guys (Kevin, Rich, etc.?) 7-1

Can't comment on Zubin.

Too bad @angryjay93 and @kingraph can't play because they would be contenders.

I just found out about this tournament from the Hockey News article, and I’m super excited that stuff like this exists for NHL 94. Way too late for me to make the trip, but looking forward to watching the event on Twitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brown said:

I just found out about this tournament from the Hockey News article, and I’m super excited that stuff like this exists for NHL 94. Way too late for me to make the trip, but looking forward to watching the event on Twitch.

Hey Brown, welcome to the site!  Too late for the live tourney, but not too late to play online!  You can register for "Fall Classic" right now at http://nhl94online.com/html/registration.php?lg=59 -- the season starts in November!

Tournament links!

Stream: http://twitch.tv/kingofnhl94

All the brackets/round robin data should be available at the Challonge event: https://kingof94.challonge.com/events/ko94_3/tournaments

Steam data rare is bad. We may stream from cell phones during the bracket section (Not round robin)

Great job with the tourney boys!

Congrats to AJ and Kevin and all the runner-ups.

Thank you to the organizers. You know who you are. The stream was great, and I especially liked the camera work to show all the announcements and trophy presentations at the end.

Great job as usual @halifax, @smozoma, @McMikey, Arda and anyone else I may have forgotten!  Looked like a great tournament!

Congrats to @angryjay93 for defending his title.  Very well deserved, those were some awesome games we got to witness.  @corbettkb played his ass off and really gave AJ a run for his money!  

Someone needs to give @smozoma a raise btw...it's so hard to participate in a tourney, manage the stream and manage the challonge brackets.  

My one recommendation is to get some non-player help to simply manage computers/streams/brackets.  I am sure I can find 2-3 friends to help out for the next tourney.  I love the switch aspect going from Genesis feed to SNES feed.  With some additional help, this could really keep the stream super-exciting all the time.  Help with technical parts of stream, help Arda (or whoever is announcing) to keep going, etc.  One idea is to schedule various participants to fill in the broadcast for 30 minutes at a time to give updates on what is happening, announce games, add color, respond to twitch comments, etc.  Dead air is tough to keep viewers engaged.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kingraph said:

Great job as usual @halifax, @smozoma, @McMikey, Arda and anyone else I may have forgotten!  Looked like a great tournament!

Congrats to @angryjay93 for defending his title.  Very well deserved, those were some awesome games we got to witness.  @corbettkb played his ass off and really gave AJ a run for his money!  

Someone needs to give @smozoma a raise btw...it's so hard to participate in a tourney, manage the stream and manage the challonge brackets.  

My one recommendation is to get some non-player help to simply manage computers/streams/brackets.  I am sure I can find 2-3 friends to help out for the next tourney.  I love the switch aspect going from Genesis feed to SNES feed.  With some additional help, this could really keep the stream super-exciting all the time.  Help with technical parts of stream, help Arda (or whoever is announcing) to keep going, etc.  One idea is to schedule various participants to fill in the broadcast for 30 minutes at a time to give updates on what is happening, announce games, add color, respond to twitch comments, etc.  Dead air is tough to keep viewers engaged.

Thanks bud.

Next year we'll go to a two day event. Sega one day and SNES the next. I think this will help having smoz and I in the same area covering the same things instead of being split apart. And yes...more help is better. If you and @chaos were here....you would've helped us right? :)

Being at my first King of 94 was absolutely AMAZING! Some of the most fun I've ever had and I do a lot of dope s**t as it is lol. It was so much fun and inspired me so much to want to help build a stronger 94 community and retro competitive gaming community as a whole in BC and Western Canada.

It was nice meeting you all! If you guys are on social media add me up, I use Facebook and Instagram quite a bit. I'm also going to be more active on this forum as well of course. Let's keep in touch and maybe play online as well!

https://www.facebook.com/ryanventura604

Instagram - @ryanventura604

44929474_10161011522605613_8958514048094175232_n.jpg

Edited by rcv
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, rcv said:

Being at my first King of 94 was absolutely AMAZING! Some of the most fun I've ever had and I do a lot of dope s**t as it is lol. It was so much fun and inspired me so much to want to help build a stronger 94 community and retro competitive gaming community as a whole in BC and Western Canada.

It was nice meeting you all! If you guys are on social media add me up, I use Facebook and Instagram quite a bit. I'm also going to be more active on this forum as well of course. Let's keep in touch and maybe play online as well!

https://www.facebook.com/ryanventura604

Instagram - @ryanventura604

44929474_10161011522605613_8958514048094175232_n.jpg

Your camera takes phenomenal low-light pictures, what phone is that?? Looks like those were taken during the day, but you've got the Wayne's World violent gents shirt on so I think it's late in the event when it was quite dark?

Great to hear that you enjoyed the event so much and that you want to build a community in the West. I think there's a lot of potential there.

Jump on our Discord chat some time :) Here's the invite: https://discordapp.com/invite/0por6zfp5RodSFVL

• Like 2

Great Tourney Buds!  The final GENS game in OT was a great watch with everyone hooting and hollering.  Then of course the goal horn at the end was icing on the cake. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, smozoma said:

Your camera takes phenomenal low-light pictures, what phone is that?? Looks like those were taken during the day, but you've got the Wayne's World violent gents shirt on so I think it's late in the event when it was quite dark?

Great to hear that you enjoyed the event so much and that you want to build a community in the West. I think there's a lot of potential there.

Jump on our Discord chat some time :) Here's the invite: https://discordapp.com/invite/0por6zfp5RodSFVL

I got a Samsung Galaxy S9 :). Ya man I'm gonna help build a stronger scene here, I'll add you on the app! Hope to see you again soon. 

• halifax unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

I finally got something done. 

Here is the video of the Round Robin portion of the tournament in Vancouver last year. Fixed the graphics (the team logos and player names should be correct - player records also added!), added standings, covered up the announcer camera with standings (since this is the part without Arda), and added my own voiceover (sorry?).

Hope you enjoy it, wish I'd finished it months ago. I think the next video will not take too long since it's got Arda's commentary, I can just throw the bracket up once in a while. I wanted to add those little text captions once in a while to correct mistakes I made while talking (such as getting the team choice method backwards for most of the video), but Youtube disabled annotations this year.

It's set to "premiere" at 8PM EST Monday

• Like 1

fast forwarding etc works now. Didn't realize it played it 'live' if doing a scheduled 'premiere'

On top of the games themselves there's also standings updates and team comparisons

delete2.PNGdelete1.PNG

• Like 1