NHL'94 Forums

Affordable Sega Genesis HDMI Console?

Hey Guys,

Fall Out Games in Arizona has posted a picture online of their new HDMI consoles.

This could be a Game Changer. For future tourneys if these turn out to work and are cheap. As we all know collecting and storing CRT’s is a big issue and most new esports spaces are all HD. 

I’m getting a Gens shipped up to me ASAP for testing. I’m pretty excited. 

Fall Out Games has been helping me out with the Doc from the very beginning.

Their manager Scott D. Has been a huge help in making the doc and providing me with games and consoles for the King of 94 Tournaments. Kof94 1 would have not happened with out Scott’s last minute help getting me all the original hardware (7 gens and 7 snes) Air freighted from AZ to Toronto just in time for game day. They have made affordable NES and SNES consoles in the past but not in HD. I begged them to make an HD Gens last time i was in Phoenix, have my prayers been answered?????

What’s  your guys thoughts on going HD? 

EDIT: I JUST GOT WORD THAT THE GENS WILL RETAIL FOR $30!!!! 

3B72A829-9824-463A-B9FB-601208E62266.jpeg

14F8FC84-30FC-4D87-81B5-B51F3D04779E.jpeg

Edited by McMikey
Update
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, McMikey said:

Hey Guys,

Fall Out Games in Arizona has posted a picture online of their new HDMI consoles.

This could be a Game Changer. For future tourneys if these turn out to work and are cheap. As we all know collecting and storing CRT’s is a big issue and most new esports spaces are all HD. 

I’m getting a Gens shipped up to me ASAP for testing. I’m pretty excited. 

Fall Out Games has been helping me out with the Doc from the very beginning.

Their manager Scott D. Has been a huge help in making the doc and providing me with games and consoles for the King of 94 Tournaments. Kof94 1 would have not happened with out Scott’s last minute help getting me all the original hardware (7 gens and 7 snes) Air freighted from AZ to Toronto just in time for game day. They have made affordable NES and SNES consoles in the past but not in HD. I begged them to make an HD Gens last time i was in Phoenix, have my prayers been answered?????

What’s  your guys thoughts on going HD? 

EDIT: I JUST GOT WORD THAT THE GENS WILL RETAIL FOR $30!!!! 

3B72A829-9824-463A-B9FB-601208E62266.jpeg

14F8FC84-30FC-4D87-81B5-B51F3D04779E.jpeg

When can I order one of these?  Only see the non HD version on the website.

Let us know how it goes Mikey!  This is probably going to be awesome; only concern I would have is input lag playing on an HDTV, but it's probably worth it if it means not dealing with the whole CRT pain in the ass.

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

Let us know how it goes Mikey!  This is probably going to be awesome; only concern I would have is input lag playing on an HDTV, but it's probably worth it if it means not dealing with the whole CRT pain in the ass.

In Toronto, I really didn't notice any lag (but then I wasn't used to playing on a CRT anyway...)

Vegas, on the other hand, those giant TVs were terrible. They probably didn't enable game mode.

Maybe on day someone will release one of these with an Ethernet port, and WiFi capabilities that can hook up to a retro gaming network so we could play online h2h.

This thing is $30?

My guess it the controllers are going to be totally crap.  No way they will be like the original Sega ones.  If you are able to plug your own controllers in, that would be great. (Can't tell if they are old school ports -- my guess is USB. Who knows?)

I ordered a "Hyperkin 6-Button Genesis" controller from Amazon, and though it looked similar, it was so light and cheap it was useless.  Straight-to- landfill quality. :(

33 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

This thing is $30?

My guess it the controllers are going to be totally crap.  No way they will be like the original Sega ones.  If you are able to plug your own controllers in, that would be great. (Can't tell if they are old school ports -- my guess is USB. Who knows?)

I ordered a "Hyperkin 6-Button Genesis" controller from Amazon, and though it looked similar, it was so light and cheap it was useless.  Straight-to- landfill quality. :(

If you zoom in on the picture on the box of the console it looks like it is OEM controller compatible! :)

In the Green Bay tournament, @Edge of 94' WI had some of the SNES models and the controllers were actually decent.  Not sure how long they would last, but they played well enough. 

Having said that I'm not picky with SNES, but I'm pretty picky with Genesis controllers.  Not just using the 6-buttons that I prefer, but also making sure the d-pad feels right.  

• Like 1

It's dumb that the SNES version has 2 slots. The only region lock on SNES is the 2 plastic tabs inside the cartridge slot. You make a case without them (or cut them out if you own a regular SNES) and you can play any game from any region.

ya I feel ya kingraph ..... I remember after losing my controller in the taxi at kof94 I felt so uncomfortable playing that snes champion....felt like I was playing with un sharpend  skate lol

• Like 1

So we already used about 6 of the Gamerztek HD SNES consoles during the tournament.(not the combo units listed above)  I also bought extra controllers from them, as they were amazing IMO, something you don't typically see from a clone controller.  The cable was long, the dpad and button action was great for what we are doing.  We had the systems hooked up via composite however.  I had played on HDTVs, and while the scaler is good for casual play, the timing difference is noticeable vs a CRT.  My only complaint with the console was the audio levels.  They were way too high, and it was easy to distort.  I had one TV that didn't like any of the clones, only a real console.  That might be due to the analog signal strength from the actual console.  This was 1 out of about 10 TV's I had hooked up during the tournament, so I wouldn't let that be a concern.

I have played using their non HD Genesis clone, and I am not very impressed so far.  The controllers are shorter, and I struggled with games like Street Fighter 2 trying to pull off the moves.  I was able to play NHL94 ok, but the buttons were stiff.  I'm assuming the latency will be a similar concern over the HDMI, but I'm awaiting my HD Genesis test unit from them to confirm.

On 3/9/2018 at 4:59 PM, chaos said:

It's dumb that the SNES version has 2 slots. The only region lock on SNES is the 2 plastic tabs inside the cartridge slot. You make a case without them (or cut them out if you own a regular SNES) and you can play any game from any region.

That's not for Super Famicom, that's for regular NES.

Edited by Edge of 94' WI

7 hours ago, Edge of 94' WI said:

That's not for Super Famicom, that's for regular NES.

No, it's for the SNES. The NES has a lockout chip. I know because I have super famicom games and I had to cut the tabs off inside my SNES cart slot in order to play them 

3 hours ago, Edge of 94' WI said:

I'm talking about the console listed above.  It has NES and SNES ports.  One is for NES, one is for SNES.  As I understand it their SNES stuff is region free so you can plug the Super Famicom stuff in.

Ohhhhhh, I see it now. Would help if I read the print on the box 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Gens and the NES HD versions from these guys yesterday.

The Gens one looks very good and sounds very good, not quite as good as a CRT, but very close.

The lag however is noticeable and unacceptable to me.

Keep your CRT and Original equipment!:big_smile:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
I've had some time on the minigen HD. It's performance is comparable to the SNES version from Gamerztek with these differences....

1) There is some sort of weird graphical distortion on movement. It's something that is difficult to unsee, like some sort of dithering. I'll try to post a video showing that later. It shows up especially around the stars that surround the player

2) The included 6 button controllers on the Minigen HD are closer to the original product, than the SNES version and are "good enough" for NHL94, but I'd still encourage folks to bring their own in case they were finicky. For some reason, the cables are fairly short, in contrast to the 10 foot cables on the SNES clones, which are really nice.

Given the choice between composite on an HD screen from an original console, or HD from the clone, I'd go with the clone. The lag was not an issue for me to pull off dekes, one timers, etc. While it's not perfect, it's certainly playable, and would be an improvement over standard systems not attached to a CRT.

In both the SNES and Genesis clones from Gamerztek, there seems to be an audio level issue, as in it's really loud and can easily distort, so you have to keep the TV audio down to compensate.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update, I was able to get in touch with my contact at Fallout Games.  First off, he stated that the batch their ordered was supposed to have longer controller cables, and that their next revision will have that this go around.  Right now they are comparable with a normal Genesis controller, but they should be closer to that 10 foot length enjoyed by their current SNES clones.

While the image appears sharper than the SNES clone, the Minigen HD does have that video distortion on horizontal movement issue.  I have forwarded the following video to them for review.  My guess is that the pixel uniformity is not there, or the signal is interlaced coming into the scaler, causing this artifacting.  All that being said, it still beats playing via composite on an HD screen.  There is some latency, but it's not bad.  Some of the deke timings might be a bit off against those top tier goalies like Roy or Belfour, but maneuvers like checks, quick passes, really aren't affected IMO.  I'm not a pass shot guy so I can't speak to that, but i'd think that would also be affected somewhat by the minor delay.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g-YrAAq6S1W_sHuoi4UppNZ_PotEuxwm

^^ link for the video

• Like 1

Nice Recap.

1.  Can you try a 4 way on it and see if that works?

2.  For reg season games (not playoffs) would you think most buds wouldn't mind playing on it?   Would sure be nice if we could use utilize flat-screens in bar at tourneys.  

On 3/22/2018 at 8:02 AM, CoachMac said:

Keep your CRT and Original equipment!:big_smile:

I would be very sad if I came to Minnesota and had to play on one of these.

Anyone interested in buying mine, PM me.

Actually would give it away.

The more I have tried it the more I think it stinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know what the lag is on this system, but I think framemeister adds 20ms. The OSSC doesn't add any. 

20ms is equivalent to 2 frames (16.6ms is 1 frame). Since games only check inputs on vertical blank period, anything between 17 and 33 is 2 frames. 

You are always a frame behind regardless of what kind of setup. Any controller click you won't see a reaction for a frame, because it doesn't check for controller input until vertical blank and the time it takes to draw the screen from the top to where your controlled player is. 

Tvs add much more lag. You'll see different results depending on the flat screen television you are using.

In comparison, playing via net play as the client, not the host, is about 2-5 frames (says the delay in the kaillera window when connecting).  So when the opposite player makes a move, it takes about 2-5 frames for you to see it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.

I too am a purist, but I am also getting old and after help setting up 80 CRT's at Tecmo Madison I am reevaluating my purity.  

May just have to start spinning flatscreens like an outdoor game where the ice isn't perfect and players need to adjust :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, segathon said:

Thanks for the input.

I too am a purist, but I am also getting old and after help setting up 80 CRT's at Tecmo Madison I am reevaluating my purity.  

May just have to start spinning flatscreens like an outdoor game where the ice isn't perfect and players need to adjust :)

I think for early tourney games flatscreens are totally acceptable if the lag isn't too bad (some of the Vegas TVs were unacceptable IMO, while the Toronto TVs were totally fine).

But towards the end it should be CRT :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smozoma said:

I think for early tourney games flatscreens are totally acceptable if the lag isn't too bad (some of the Vegas TVs were unacceptable IMO, while the Toronto TVs were totally fine).

But towards the end it should be CRT :)

Part of the challenge should be playing the game on a smaller and smaller screen as the tournament progresses. Winner takes all on Sears model 12" B&W TV, while lying down on shag carpet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, jer_33 said:

You can give yourself 80 frames of lag by inhaling or ingesting proper amounts of herb. Low-tech solutions are the best.

I wonder how many frames of lag kgman is on. I think he went all the way around back to negative. The game sees lag instead of him :P