NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2018 Deadline update - Naples

naples39

The Capitals now play at Capital One Arena, not the Verizon center.  I tried to fix this myself, but I couldn't figure out the hex code to make the stadium text 3 characters longer. 
Also the shoulders of the Capitals home jerseys should be red not white.

Did you know that in the main menu there is junk text under the names of the players in the player cards for Washington and Winnipeg?  It says Record///Goals by 3333333 vs. 3333333  my guess is it has something to do with increasing the teams from 28 to 31, but it is weird that Vegas isn't affected by it.

18 hours ago, CapHead said:

The Capitals now play at Capital One Arena, not the Verizon center.  I tried to fix this myself, but I couldn't figure out the hex code to make the stadium text 3 characters longer. 
Also the shoulders of the Capitals home jerseys should be red not white.

Did you know that in the main menu there is junk text under the names of the players in the player cards for Washington and Winnipeg?  It says Record///Goals by 3333333 vs. 3333333  my guess is it has something to do with increasing the teams from 28 to 31, but it is weird that Vegas isn't affected by it.

1) I will correct the Caps arena name if I do an updated release of this ROM.

2) It's impossible to accurately re-create the Caps current jerseys in NHL94, so it's more art than science about what feels right. I'm open to changing it, but there's no right answer. Here's 3 different looks that I could do (one on left is in the current rom).

caps red 1.PNGcaps red2.PNGcaps red3.PNG

3) That's likely a bug in 32-team rom. Vegas is team 29 in this rom, Caps 30, 'Peg 31 (32 unused).

18 hours ago, naples39 said:

2) It's impossible to accurately re-create the Caps current jerseys in NHL94, so it's more art than science about what feels right. I'm open to changing it, but there's no right answer. Here's 3 different looks that I could do (one on left is in the current rom).

3) That's likely a bug in 32-team rom. Vegas is team 29 in this rom, Caps 30, 'Peg 31 (32 unused).

Of the 3, i like the white shoulders. Kind of calls back to the 92-93 unis, as well as the current 3rd-jerseys.

The middle one is probably more accurate though? http://www.nhluniforms.com/2017-18/Capitals.html

On 3/11/2018 at 8:52 PM, naples39 said:

1)  I would love to fix it on my own, but I couldn't find a thread that talked about changing the character length of the fields.  I realize that it can't be done in the Nose editor.  I know it has something to do with changing the size of a block for a team and probably adjusting pointers.  My guess is that it works similar to changing the length of the player names.  If someone could point me to a tutorial on how this is done, I would gladly do it. 

2) I know it's impossible.  I actually changed the jerseys on your 1.3 rom that I downloaded because the reds were far too bright, so I toned them down and fixed the shoulders to something that resembles #2.  I figured that if I was going to bring up the arena, I'd bring it up the shoulders too.  Of those three, #3 feels the most like the caps uniform, although there is a lot more white in the jersey such as #2.
This was my attempt:image.png but I think I would make changes to make it look like your #3. 

3) Yeah, I assumed so.  It's something to work on in the next release, I suppose.

Obviously, I'm picky because it's the team I am going to play with the most.  I want to get the Capitals right before load this version onto my Snes mini.
Great work, btw.

Edited by CapHead

9 hours ago, stellar2600 said:

I hate to be "that guy", but I did notice my game crash when the Winnipeg Jets player cards appeared on screen. I am aware this was a issue in update 1.2.

I'm just reporting what I found. Thanks again for this update! :)

I noticed that too, but I didn't want to be "that guy."  ^_^

28 minutes ago, CapHead said:

1)  I would love to fix it on my own, but I couldn't find a thread that talked about changing the character length of the fields.  I realize that it can't be done in the Nose editor.  I know it has something to do with changing the size of a block for a team and probably adjusting pointers.  My guess is that it works similar to changing the length of the player names.  If someone could point me to a tutorial on how this is done, I would gladly do it. 

2) I know it's impossible.  I actually changed the jerseys on your 1.3 rom that I downloaded because the reds were far too bright, so I toned them down and fixed the shoulders to something that resembles #2.  I figured that if I was going to bring up the arena, I'd bring it up the shoulders too.  Of those three, #3 feels the most like the caps uniform, although there is a lot more white in the jersey such as #2.
This was my attempt:image.png but I think I would make changes to make it look like your #3. 

3) Yeah, I assumed so.  It's something to work on in the next release, I suppose.

Obviously, I'm picky because it's the team I am going to play with the most.  I want to get the Capitals right before load this version onto my Snes mini.
Great work, btw.

NOSE can easily change the arena name.

Go to TEAM Page and put in the Arena Name.

1 minute ago, CoachMac said:

NOSE can easily change the arena name.

Go to TEAM Page and put in the Arena Name.

You can change easily the name, but you can't change the length in Nose (as far as I know).  Verizon Center is 14 characters.  Capital One Arena is 17 characters (requires 18).  

Just now, CapHead said:

You can change easily the name, but you can't change the length in Nose (as far as I know).  Verizon Center is 14 characters.  Capital One Arena is 17 characters (requires 18).  

Hit the Free Bytes button in the upper left corner.

BOOM!

20 minutes ago, CapHead said:

Thanks!  That was easy.  I wish it was that easy for team logos.

Seek and you will find.

It is not much harder using TM.

If I can do it all you Space Age Dudes with Cell Phones, I-pads, Retro-Pi's, PS7's etc... should be able to figure it out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, naples39 said:

The ROM crashing on WPG player cards is a known bug in the 32-team ROM. There is no fix for it.

Do you know if this has been determined to be "unfixable" ( @smozoma, @slapshot67 ?) or just something we haven't investigated?  Happy to assist deciphering the code if it's something outstanding.

3 hours ago, kingraph said:

Do you know if this has been determined to be "unfixable" ( @smozoma, @slapshot67 ?) or just something we haven't investigated?  Happy to assist deciphering the code if it's something outstanding.

That should be fixable, as far as I know. I vaguely recall looking into it last year.. either I never actually finished working on it (I definitely remember putting off looking into it for quite a while) or I missed something or I never actually got around to looking at it.... Unless that was the music...

• Like 2

Man....as always, you're the gold standard on these things!  I always wait until the 'deadline' ROM comes out to get back into it.  And this is no exception! Thanks again for all your hard work!  Any chance of a 18 version of the 'Outdoor Games' ROM you did last year?  I suck at editing uniforms...and I'm a Pens fan.  But I think it'd be pretty cool to use the all white Toronto uniforms and have the Winter Classic and Stadium Series logos at center ice.

I think #3 is by far the closest to their current uniforms. That said, they absolutely suck and they need to take a cue from Pittsburgh and go back to their early 90s uniforms full time.  

I'm NEVER trying to be "that guy," but just a couple of uniform things I noticed as I was clicking through them...Nashville should have gold helmets with their home uniforms now, not blue.  And Tampa should have blue pants with both of their uniforms, not black. As always, I'm the farthest thing from being critical.  Just a couple of little things I noticed that are actually inaccurate, not just a matter of personal preference of how a modern uniform translates into an NHL 94 template.  I tried to edit these myself in NOSE, but for some reason I couldn't figure out how to change the color of the uniform pieces.  I guess I'm that dumb.  Haha

Thanks, I appreciate corrections because there's no way working by myself I'm gonna get every player number, uniform detail, arena name, etc... correct.

WSH is a tough call. #3 is the most 'accurate', but I think #2 comes off better...hmmm

On 3/19/2018 at 10:33 PM, naples39 said:

Thanks, I appreciate corrections because there's no way working by myself I'm gonna get every player number, uniform detail, arena name, etc... correct.

WSH is a tough call. #3 is the most 'accurate', but I think #2 comes off better...hmmm

Haha...It's your project.  You get the final vote!  Regardless, I think that either of the last two are closer to their authentic current look.  But, I think that we can all agree that the early 90s look is their best option.

When comparing them to the real jerseys, I'd say the third one, only because the blue stripe up top matches the stripe across the front of the shoulders and the collar.  And the white outlined in blue on the sleeves matches the jersey stripe they have going on.  Plus, it's one less stripe on the pants that are solid blue in real life.  Again, not my project and not my call! I don't want you to think I'm nitpicking...I LOVE your work! Just throwing in my two cents!

Capitals31.png

I tried to play this game on Fusion and when selecting teams, best of 7 playoffs etc. the controller always scrolls past the next option instead of moving up or down in sequence or left or right in sequence; instead It hops 2 places instead of one. Other roms do not do this. any insight as to why for example I can not select 'Playoffs best of 7' as the controller toggles past it each and every time?

Thank you 

3 hours ago, Flyerfan7 said:

I tried to play this game on Fusion and when selecting teams, best of 7 playoffs etc. the controller always scrolls past the next option instead of moving up or down in sequence or left or right in sequence; instead It hops 2 places instead of one. Other roms do not do this. any insight as to why for example I can not select 'Playoffs best of 7' as the controller toggles past it each and every time?

Thank you 

Do you maybe have your controller mapped twice in the emulator settings? This would make it think player 1 and player 2 are both tapping the D pad, so it'll move twice.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:33 PM, naples39 said:

Has their every been a community effort to nail down the look of the uniforms?  It wouldn't be that bad if 4 people each took 1 division.

10 hours ago, CapHead said:

Has their every been a community effort to nail down the look of the uniforms?  It wouldn't be that bad if 4 people each took 1 division.

FWIW, I'll be uploading a new version soon that goes with #3 of this Caps issue for 'accuracy'

I tweaked it to have Nashville's yellow mustard helmets because they are glorious.  I wish I the patience to go through all 31 teams (although some don't need it). 
I do think you need to use a darker red for the Caps jerseys.  I stare at their uniforms all the time, and they are definitely too bright in the game.  Their home jerseys use very dark tones.

Alright bros, updated ROMs in first post.  Two roms, one the usual deadline, the other with outdoor uniforms for Caps/Leafs, Sens/Habs, and Sabres/Rangers.

Things updated:

-Mittelstadt to BUF
-Tolvanen to NSH
-Updated Caps jersey (change template, darker red)
-Updated Caps arena name

-EDIT - Forgot to add that it also fixes NSH's gold helmet

Edited by naples39
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2