NHL'94 Forums

Bleeding Out - by Clint Malarchuk

smozoma

Clint Malarchuk is the goalie who's neck was cut open by a skate in 1989. Since then he's had bad PTSD.

(warning: main photo has some blood)

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/clint-malarchuk-bleeding-out

I know there might be a bullet in the rifle, but I press it against my chin anyway.

I don’t care.

(whoops, I thought he was in 94, but actually he retired after the 91-92 season)

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Clint Malarchuk is the goalie who's neck was cut open by a skate in 1989. Since then he's had bad PTSD.

(warning: main photo has some blood)

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/clint-malarchuk-bleeding-out

(whoops, I thought he was in 94, but actually he retired after the 91-92 season)

He was in 93.

Lives in Minden, Nevada!:big_smile:

Ex-wife lives about 3 houses up from me.
Super nice lady.

I've met him a couple times and he was a really good guy.

I don't really follow hockey.  But I heard of Clint Malarchuk when I was a security guard, finishing university, in 1997 or so.  I worked in a building that had a film company on the top floor.  A guy came to see the head honcho of the film company, to pitch a film idea, but insisted on taking the stairs instead of the elevator even though it was over 20 stories up!  I decided to walk with him.

That is when he told me that he was afraid of elevators, as well as having a million other phobias.  All as of result of a traumatic experience, he didn't want to go into.  He said it was like Clint Malarchuk.  I said who?, and he told me the story.  According to him, after the incident, Clint Malarchuk had a bunch of mental issues, just like him.  I filed that piece of trivia away, in case it ever came up again.

Along came the internet, some time afterward, and I was able to watch the youtube video (not that gory because of the horrible quality), and read about Malarchuk's wikipedia write-up.  Last night I was watching a video on Lawrence Taylor, and they were about to show the infamous Joe Theisman hit.  I paused it.  That is one gory scene I have never seen and do not intend to watch.  

I have bookmarked the article Smozoma shared to read later.

I remember that play when it happened, and I still worry when you see guys go down in the corner with 3 other guys there, or a goalie in the crease with a huge scrum for a loose puck. This whole story though, wow.