NHL'94 Forums

Editing Player Pictures with TLP

I'm wondering what offset the player pictures start at in TLP. I also want to know how big the picture would be if you arranged all the tiles the right way - so, say, if you wanted to change Wayne Gretzky's pic into...let's say Michael Jackson's mugshot (not that I will!) you could repeat that roughly...48 times. I'm working on a little psuedo-mod for NHL '94...details later.

I'm wondering what offset the player pictures start at in TLP. I also want to know how big the picture would be if you arranged all the tiles the right way - so, say, if you wanted to change Wayne Gretzky's pic into...let's say Michael Jackson's mugshot (not that I will!) you could repeat that roughly...48 times. I'm working on a little psuedo-mod for NHL '94...details later.

They are just under the menu team logos, and theyre kinda hard to make out, i froget the offset.

To see the player pictures, you'll need to use Tile Molestar... and set the codec to 3pp linear and your palette format to Genesis 9bpp BGR. Then change your translating palette colors to appear greyscale to help you find the tiles a little easier.

swos and/or Mahavishna are the most educated in updating player pictures so maybe they can post a few more tips to make the process easier all.

I took some time to fool around with Tile Molester to understand how player pictures are stored and how to update them (with the future vision of adding support for changing player pictures in NOSE).

All in all, its not too difficult of a process... its a little late for me know, so I'll try to post some notes soon regarding the methods I've learned.

Tile Molester is a fantasic tool when you know how to use it. My notes will include a few tips that should have you updating pics with relative ease.... just give me a few days.... and a few months to get its support into NOSE... :)

I've decided to begin writing a detailed tutorial covering all I've recently found out when attempting to change the player faces in NHL94. You'll be able to use this tutorial until I get around to adding player face support to NOSE, which could still be sometime away yet.

The good news is that I've actually found the part of the rom controls which players on a team have personalised pictures, and how to control what order they need to appear in.

Its a bit too complex to explain in a simple post (or just tell you the offset), so you'll have to wait for the tutorial to better help you edit all these items manually (and more importantly, easily!).

Sweet. Thanks wboy. I'll be waiting for the turorial whilst I try and fix the rosters for the MHL mod.

It really helps also that you can edit which order they go in because I will more than likely will have to shrink some of the rosters for it.

• 2 weeks later...
pretty cool it sounds wboy. The force is strong with you.

One question I have...How to open the tile molester jar.file..?

Hey Yoda, did you forget to install Jar Jar Binks support first?

Head to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp and follow the "Download JRE 5.0 Update 5" link, and download the appropiate version which in your case will most likey be the "Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language".

If you are still having problems, check help.htm within the tm's help sub folder. It explains how to launch it from a command-line prompt (or alternative make a batch file in the tm folder to get around the problem).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Upon launching tile molester it says "No language files Found, Check installation settings" and "tm.spec.xml cannot be found" when i repeatadaly made sure it was downloaded. Any suggestions.

Try deleting the setttings.xml as suggested here: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kenth/tm/docs/help.htm#KNOWNISSUES

It'll prompt you for the language settings again which may fix the issue for me.

I just updated to the latest "Windows Platform - J2SE™ Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6" (JRE) and it still works with no issues.

Have you download the right JRE? Make sure you didn't accidently grab the SDK, or alternatively, if you purchased a AMD64 based CPU, make sure you grabbed the "Windows AMD64 Platform - J2SE™ Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6" (JRE).