NHL'94 Forums

NHL18 3-on-3 ROM

Sauce

Hi Everyone!

So, I took my recently released NHL94 "2018 edition" ROM and converted it to 3-on-3 play.  It's basically the same ROM with a couple notable changes/updates. 

Here's what's different from my other ROM:
* When playing with line changes, the CPU gets the lines wrong.  I'm not sure why.  The CPU treats the CHK line as the #1 scoring line.  The #1 scoring line is treated like the second scoring line.  And, in turn, the 2nd scoring line is treated as a checking line.  That said, I re-ordered them in NOSE.  The CHK line will default to start each game that is simmed (as several folks like to sim games) but, it will contain the #1 players (Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, Doughty, E. Karlsson, etc.).  Keep this in mind whether you do auto or manual line changes.  If you are player 1, it defaults starts scoring line 1.  If your opponent is the CPU, you default start with scoring line 1 and the CPU default starts with the CHK line.  If you are playing head to head, both you and your opponent will default start with scoring line 1.  If you use NLC, it's a non-issue as that will default the NLC line.
* The PP lines will have 4 skaters to have a man advantage.  If your team gets two men in the penalty box, unfortunately, it will be a 4-on-2.  Can't do anything about that...the good news is, penalties, in this ROM, are only a minute in length (unlike the normal 2:00 length used in my 5-on-5 ROM).
* Line combos/pairings are "best guess" in some cases.  I did my best to figure out many of them by checking OT boxes score info or from what I remember seeing in person.  Many are accurate (e.g - Couturier with Konecny & Provorov which was very successful this year).  PP and PK combos are all guesses based on the personnel used for 5 on 4 powerplays.
* Skater speed has been increased by 1 for all D and FWDs for this particular ROM.  While I prefer the speed of my 5-on-5 ROM, the increase does add to the excitement of 3-on-3 and allows for more potential breakaways.
* By default, offsides is turned off.  Feel free to turn it back on if you like...
* KNOWN BUG: Player portraits can only be viewed in the main team selection screen.  In any other screen/view, if you allow the portraits to cycle, it will eventually freeze the game.

To learn more about the other edits/features of this ROM, including Playoff structure and ratings logic, you can review my summary for my other ROM (link below).  It addresses the known "Winnipeg Freeze Bug".

I welcome any feedback on this ROM.  It's not perfect but, it is still fun to play (if you need a break from 5-on-5 play).  If you notice any bugs or errors not mentioned, please let me know.

Cheers!

3on3 Game Title Screen.jpg

PIT vs TBL 3on3.jpg

NHL94 2018 3-on-3 v4.zip

Edited by The Sauce
Lines can now be edited within the game
  • Like 2

Thanks @Matt55

I just made two tweaks to two Rangers players.  Nothing major which is why I didn't re-name the file.  After watching them all year, I knew a tweak was needed for them and now they play more to my expectations. 

I think @CoachMac is right, I am sick in the head when it comes to this roster editing thing!  LOL

Edited by The Sauce

11 hours ago, AtomicRaven said:

Would make for an interesting and fun lg. 

It's funny, whenever I use one of my ROMs to play against friends, they seem to prefer the 3-on-3 version more the 5-on-5.  Maybe it is more fun as it certainly has more scoring on average.  I'm not a fan of 3-on-3 so a seldom play it.  But, to each their own.  I did update this ROM much like my 5-on-5 version.  If someone ever wanted to use it for a league, that would be cool.  Then, maybe, I'd be more into it.  LOL

I updated this roster (now named v1.1) to include some missing players who I noticed playing in the playoffs.  These include Greenway and Soucy for MIN, Fehr for SJ, Johnsson for TOR and Donato for Boston.  I didn't add them to the lines as I'll let those interested in having true playoff lines do so. 

I also lowered the OVR team ratings for all teams.  I noticed it does affect gameplay.  Scoring was up a slight bit in games that I played and simmed.  I based it around how the original/classic game was designed.  I also made all teams a 4 for OFF and DEF as well as "average" for PP and PK.  This way, it relies on player skill and who's hot or not for success or fail.

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce

Hey everyone!

I just posted an updated 2018 3-on-3 ROM.

Thanks to  @slapshot67 who patched it with the sprite/helmet patch, I was able to update all uniforms and helmets (just like I did for the 5-on-5 version that I posted).  Helmets, are now correct per team.  I did the best I could with the uniforms.

I also refreshed all center ice logos, after I updated the uniforms/helmets, to ensure they remained as before (color-wise).

I re-patched the 3 Stars of the Game hack.  It was not working properly in my previous ROMs.  I have tested it several times and can confirm that it now works as intended. 

Everything else remains the same as the OP above.

NOTE:  I wasn't aware of something the last time I posted this ROM that affects gameplay.  You cannot edit the lines in the game itself.  It will freeze if you try.  This affects all 3-on-3 and 2-on-2 ROMs, I imagine.  That said, the 3-on-3 edit combos must be done in NOSE.  However, the combos that I have provided are pretty good.  Many are confirmed as used in 3-on-3 OT this year.

This file, in the OP above, has been renamed to be V2. 

-Cheers-

Edited by The Sauce

Just got around to updating the 3-on-3 ROM with the latest updates made to my 5-on-5 ROM.  This includes Slapshot's recent catch on the home team bench carpet color issue for 3 teams.  It has been fixed like the 5-on-5 version.

See the rest of the notes regarding this ROM in the OP above.

This file is v3.

Edited by The Sauce

3 on 3 is a lot more fun to play than 5 on 5 in a casual setting. Less crowded, so more puck movement.

This forum linked below should run over how to set up a rom for line editing on 2on2/3on3, it's pretty simple, I've been able to do it using HxD hex editor for 2on2 an 3on3.

5 hours ago, seamor said:

3 on 3 is a lot more fun to play than 5 on 5 in a casual setting. Less crowded, so more puck movement.

This forum linked below should run over how to set up a rom for line editing on 2on2/3on3, it's pretty simple, I've been able to do it using HxD hex editor for 2on2 an 3on3.

I believe that coding solution was written for a 28 or 30 team rom (the instructions were in 2010 which  believe was before the 32 team rom came out).  I say this because I downloaded the original 3-on-3 ROM released on this site in 2009.  It is a 28 team rom (as I couldn't locate a 30 or 32 team 3v3 rom) and does allow you to change out players on a line.  When I mimicked it's hex coding, it still got freezing. 

I then played around with the hex coding based on the link that you posted, for crashing lines, and it doesn't appear to fix the freezing or inability to change out players on a line for a 32 team rom.  I tried a couple different hex edits and didn't get the desired results.  Who knows...maybe I skipped something?

As it stands now, my rom can still be line edited in NOSE.  Just, not within the game itself.  I'll continue to play around with it and see if anything can be done.

Edited by The Sauce

I've gotten it to work on classic and 30-team, I don't think the hex offsets got pushed around at all on those. Maybe they did on the 32, but its still worth a shot IMO

2 hours ago, seamor said:

I've gotten it to work on classic and 30-team, I don't think the hex offsets got pushed around at all on those. Maybe they did on the 32, but its still worth a shot IMO

If you can PM me the 30 team file that you did, I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure out why it is not working on my 32 team rom.  Perhaps, by comparing them, I may be able to figure out what's going on.

Hi all!

Special thanks to @seamor who was able to help me with figuring out how to make this ROM have lines that could be edited within the game's "line editor".  You can now edit all lines within the game as well as NOSE.  This can be done with NLC turned on or manual/auto line changes turned on.  No more freezing!!!

PP units play as 4v3 in this ROM.
NOTE: With the two PP lines, per team, you will not be able to edit the left point position in the game line editor.  The hex coding had to be written so that only 3 players show per line.  The left point has to be edited in NOSE.  However, you can edit the right point on either PP unit. If you change that player, in the game line editor, to be the player who is already on the left point, it simply swaps them within the game.

E.g - With WSH, Ovie is the left point and Carlson is the right point on the 1st PP unit.  In the game, if you change the right point to be Ovie, the left point will automatically become Carlson.  If you change Carlson (right point) to be someone other than Ovie, he will remain as the left point on PP1.

Once a PP is over, the teams will skate 4v4 until the whistle blows.  Unfortunately, if your team has two guys in the penalty box, it will become a 4v2 PP until PP time is up.  This is a game limitation that I cannot correct.  So, try not to take too many penalties at one time.  :)  I made most penalties a minute in length for this particular ROM.

Of course, if you play with no penalties turned on then this doesn't matter.

Per Slapshot67's feedback, I changed the team select menu teams to now be VGK & WSH in honor of the upcoming SCF.

The game will still freeze on the Doc Emrick (formerly Ron Barr) page if you cycle the player portraits.  This only happens on this ROM (not my 5v5 version).

The ROM update is v4.  Feedback, as always, is welcome.  If you notice any bugs (besides the known WPG freeze bug or those mentioned above), please let me know.

Enjoy!

Edited by The Sauce
  • Like 1