NHL'94 Forums

Fewest number of skaters?

Jkline3

I'm guessing that the answer is in the forum somewhere however I have yet to stumble across it...  I've made a ROM with my sons' mite & squirt teams that they absolutely love and play with their teammates (take that Xbox!).  A lot of the teams aren't exactly rolling 3 lines and I've been filling in with "phantom" skaters or just use generic players for a lot of the out of town teams.  Does anyone know off the top of their heads the fewest number of skaters you can have without crashing the game?  I generally set the game to play with line changes so that everyone has a chance to see the ice.  Thanks in advance...

You have to have a least 18 skaters for the game to work well, I believe.  But you don't need the phantom skaters, because you can replace the players with "HEX 0!!!"   and the game will remove those players in those positions in NOSE.

• Thanks 1

Hmm.. the crash tends to be that the game tries to read the data of a defenseman (such as his name) during the menu screen, when it shows the player pictures and names. If the team has fewer players than the index of that defenseman, then the game crashes because it tries to read a player who isn't there anymore.

Most teams had 2 goalies and 12 forwards, so probably the D in the pictures are in the top 4 D.. so probably yeah around 18 is pretty safe.

The key to fixing it so you can use as few players as you want is to set the player picture indexes. The guide for that is here: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/216-how-to-player-card-tutorial-nhl94-nhl95/

If you scroll down to KingRaph's post in that thread where you can see the big table... You'll see the "Pos#" column, with values like 0000 ('first' player, it's the main goalie), 0002 (usually the 1st-line center), 000F (this is a hexadecimal number for 15, so this is typically a defesman), or 0011 (hexadecimal 17) is another D.

The simple fix is to set those numbers to lower numbers like 0000, 0007, 0008, 0003, 0002, 0004.

Alternatively, you could use EARE (http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/10443-eare-ea-rom-editor-for-nhl94/) and set the names in the PlayerCardsDefault.txt to your new player names, and it'll fix them when you click the "Set Player Pictures" button in EARE.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips guys - I went the hex route and it *seems* to have solved the issue.  As most teams have in the neighborhood of 10-12 skaters I've also upped them to 12 forwards and 6 defensemen then built lines accordingly in NOSE.  Curious to see what will happen with the right combination of penalties and injuries.  Is it possible to run out of players?