NHL'94 Forums

The 1910s

Jkline3

Organized hockey in the early 20th century was a far cry from what we know (and love) today.  The game was played in halves, there were 6 skaters per side and minor penalties were 3 minutes long.  Players played positions such as Rover, Center Point and Point and overtime may or may not have ended with sudden death.  Leagues came and went frequently and the players followed suit.  Vezina, Ross and Patrick weren't just trophies - they were the stars of the day.  Hockey pants were generally white and the "sweater" was a carryover from the not-so-distant past where it was a necessity as games were played outdoors.  Other equipment was fairly sparse.  The Stanley Cup was a challenge trophy contested by professional, semi-pro, independent and amateur squads alike.  In December of 1909, as a result of a dispute over gate fees which caused the Eastern Canada Hockey Association to dissolve and for its members to go their separate ways, two new leagues - the "National Hockey Association" and the "Canadian Hockey Association" were formed.  The CHA would fold only two weeks into its inaugural season and its survivors would join the NHA.  While the NHA would eventually go on to become the NHL it's humble beginnings included franchises in Cobalt, Haileybury and Renfrew, Ontario, games played in curling rinks and a team called "Les Canadiens" conceived to attract the interest of the Francophone population of Montreal.

I've had to use a fair amount of creative license on these teams as stats and other information is incomplete at best and practically non-existent at worst.  Hope you enjoy.

• Like 1

The 1910 NHA season kicked off in January following the collapse of the CHA and the absorption of the Ottawa and Montreal Shamrocks franchises.  Ottawa was the reigning Stanley Cup holder and had just defended the Cup against a challenge from the Galt Pros of the Ontario Professional Hockey League.  Just days after their first NHA game Ottawa again defended the Cup against the Edmonton Pros, an independent team formerly of the Alberta Amateur Hockey Association.   

The Montreal Wanderers would take the first league championship with an 11-1 record and with it possession of the Stanley Cup.  Following the season the Wanderers would accept their first challenge, defeating the OPHL’s Berlin Dutchmen.  Newsy Lalonde, who would split his time between the Les Canadiens and the Renfrew Creamery Kings, led the circuit in scoring with 38 goals in just 11 games.  Riley Hern of the Wanderers was the league’s top goaltender with 11 wins and a 3.40 GAA.

Teams included in ROM:

NHA – Cobalt Silver Kings, Haileybury Comets, Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Shamrocks, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators, Renfrew Creamery Kings

OPHL – Berlin Dutchmen, Brantford Indians, Galt Pros, Waterloo Colts

CHA – Montreal All-Montreal, Montreal Nationals, Quebec Bulldogs

Independent – Edmonton Pros

1910 NHA.bin

• Like 4

STRONG Work!

This looks really nice, love the Splash screens, Ron Barr, Ice, uniforms, everything is really well done.

I had started on one like this for the 100th anniversary and was never happy with the look of the uniforms etc... so I never posted.

This is spot on---EXCELLENT!

I will check out in more detail later, but GREAT JOB!:big_smile:

• Thanks 1

@CoachMac, thanks for the compliments - means a lot coming from someone who has spent so much time in NOSE and TM.  I spent a lot of time picking through your ROMs to try and learn the tricks of the trade.  Comments, ideas, suggestions for improvements are always absolutely appreciated.

@TFC fan 15, I plan to create those seasons eventually.  I've done a lot of the research and logo work, now that the building blocks are largely done I plan on adding seasons as I have the time.  It's a lot less daunting to not have to start a project completely from scratch.

On 6/18/2018 at 1:08 PM, Jkline3 said:

The Montreal Wanderers would take the first league championship with an 11-1 record and with it possession of the Stanley Cup.  Following the season the Wanderers would accept their first challenge, defeating the OPHL’s Berlin Dutchmen.  Newsy Lalonde, who would split his time between the Les Canadiens and the Renfrew Creamery Kings, led the circuit in scoring with 38 goals in just 11 games.  Riley Hern of the Wanderers was the league’s top goaltender with 11 wins and a 3.40 GAA.

Teams included in ROM:

NHA – Cobalt Silver Kings, Haileybury Comets, Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Shamrocks, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators, Renfrew Creamery Kings

CHA – Montreal All-Montreal, Montreal Nationals, Quebec Bulldogs

Independent – Edmonton Pros

Im proud to be from Berlin aka Kitchener... Looking forward to more seasons from the 1910s.... maybe 20s 30s 40s as well PLEASE!!!

Im doing research for a ROM I want to do and will release info soon

I'm putting the final touches on 1911 and should be able to upload by the weekend.  I plan to keep making seasons in chronological order (as I have time) as it is so much easier when you can carry over much of the work and research from the previous season.

@CutterTML cool, I only learned about the Berlin/Kitchener name change from doing this project.  Any ideas where the Dutchmen played?  That was one of the rink names I had to make up because I couldn't locate any information.

Better be.:D  44 goals in 20 games and a 7 goal game, should not be a 60 rating.

I already fixed the ratings for me.

Edited by DSgamby

This rom is *only* the 1910 season.  Malone had 15 goals in 15 games between Quebec of the CHA and Waterloo of the OPHL.  I'm playtesting and will be posting 1911 shortly but you're not going to like that either - 9 goals in 13 games...

Changes were aplenty prior to the 1910-11 season.  In a cost-cutting move the rover position was eliminated, creating what was known as “six-man hockey”, and a $5000 salary cap was implemented.   Games were changed from two 30-minute halves to three periods of 20 minutes apiece.  A standardized puck was now used and other equipment continued to develop but was often still borrowed from baseball or cricket.  The membership shuffle continued with the Quebec Hockey Club being granted an NHA franchise while the Montreal Shamrocks disbanded and the Cobalt Silver Kings and Haileybury Comets returned to the Temiskaming Professional Hockey League. 

The Ottawa Senators dominated the NHA and easily took the Stanley Cup from the Montreal Wanderers.   The Sens had 3 of the league’s 4 leading scorers, led by Marty Walsh’s 35 goals in 16 games.  A Montreal rookie, Georges Vezina, was the top netminder (surprised?) and led the Canadiens to a respectable .500 record following their last-place finish the season before.

Following the season the Senators won 2 challenges from outside the league for possession of the Cup – one against the OPHL champion Galt Pros and one against the previously undefeated Port Arthur Bearcats of the New Ontario Hockey League.

Also joining the NHA and OPHL in the major-professional ranks during the 1911 campaign was the Maritimes-based Inter-Provincial Professional Hockey League.

Teams included in ROM:

NHA – Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Bulldogs, Renfrew Creamery Kings

IPPHL – Halifax Crescents, Moncton Victorias, New Glasgow Cubs (7/4 - updated New Glasgow uniforms - "New Glasgow wore their distinctive gold jerseys with blue trim")

Also included are 2 minor-pro teams - the NOHL’s Port Arthur Bearcats and the Prince Albert Mintos of the Saskatchewan Professional Hockey League.  The Mintos were losers of a challenge series against Port Arthur for the right to play for the Stanley Cup.

1911 NHA.bin

Edited by Jkline3
Updated New Glasgow strips

On 6/23/2018 at 6:19 PM, Jkline3 said:

A Montreal rookie, Georges Vezina, was the top netminder (surprised?) and led the Canadiens to a respectable .500 record following their last-place finish the season before.

the NOHL’s Port Arthur Bearcats

:red_heart:

• 4 years later...