NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2019 “Way Too Early Edition” ROM

Sauce

Hi Everyone!

So August, to many NHL fans, is the most boring month of the year.  Not much, if anything happens for the sport.  The NHL world is still waiting for OTT to finally trade Erik Karlsson as rumored for months and months.  Who knows when that will finally happen.  That said, in honor of a boring month of low activity, I am releasing an NHL19 “Way Too Early Edition” ROM.  Much of the details of my 2018 ROM carries over to this version (see "Another NHL 2018 ROM" for additional details of that ROM).  The rosters, as far as big trades and signings, over the last couple of months, are up to date as of today.  Tavares on TOR, Kovalchuk on LA, O’Reilly (STL), etc.  If I missed any notable ones, feel free to let me know.

Many promising prospects, projected as having a legit chance of making their team’s opening night roster, are in the game.  They include guys like Rasmus Dahlin (BUF), Casey Mittelstadt (BUF), Andrei Svechnikov (CAR), Filip Zadina (DET), Michael Rasmusson (DET), Kailer Yamamoto (EDM), Evan Bouchard (EDM), Dylan Sikura (CHI), Miro Heiskanen (DAL), Robert Thomas (STL), Ander Bjork (BOS), Gabriel Vilardi (LA), Filip Chytil (NYR), Lias Andersson (NYR), Elias Pettersson (VAN) and many more.

I have also added several recent European signings (Par Lindholm-TOR, Jan Kovar-NYI & Bogdan Kiselevich-FLA to name a few).  I did get some insight on them via scouting reports.

The different lines and D pairings, playable per team, are early projections.  In some cases, like Toronto, it is what the coach (Babcock) stated he’d like to try at the beginning.  In other cases, it is a best guess subject to changes.  The NLC lines and related pics are those I felt fit best.  Some player portraits have been updated.

A lot of the new jersey numbers are confirmed.  Teams like ARZ, BUF, CGY, CAR, DAL, MIN, PHL, PIT, STL and TOR have confirmed them on their websites.  In other cases, if a new number has not been confirmed, I used a number the player wore on another team or in the AHL/JRs./College.  Just as long as it was not retired by their new team.  Jack Eichel and Jack Roslovic have confirmed they are switching to new numbers this year so they are updated.

Some teams, this year, are trying forwards at new positions in camp.  Perfect example, CAR has confirmed they will try Sebastian Aho at center on the top line.  He played some, at that position, at the end of the last season.

Lastly, I have created a new Prospects Team (as the 32nd team).  These are the early projected stars of next year’s draft.  It’s forgone that Jack Hughes is going number one overall.  The kid is awesome!  It will be a draft filled with promising centers/wings like Alex Turcotte, Alex Newhook, Kappo Kakko, Dylan Cozens and Peyton Krebs to name a few.  I did my best to get them correct  (or close to) in attributes by using several scouting reports as I did for the 2018 Prospects.  Some could be slightly off as I am still learning more about them.  If so, I'll update them at a later time (as well as the prospects listed if some rise or fall in value).

As always, feedback is welcome.  Think of it as a pre-season edition as I will release a final start-of-the-season version in October (much like Skip/Slapshot & Naples39 do).  I’ll likely, in October, do another 3v3 version to accompany it.  For now, enjoy!

NHL19 Title Screen.jpg

Team Select.jpg

Tavares Scores.jpg

Kovy Scores.jpg

NHL94 2019 Way Too Early Edition.zip
Posted 8/1/18

NHL94 2019 Preseason Edition.zip
Posted 9/14/18

Edited by The Sauce
changed posting dates to 2018 (had 2019 - ooops!)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boston Boy said:

Nice Rom!  Like how you came out with this early!

Thanks!

Of course, I release it and a day later, Carolina trades Jeff Skinner to Buffalo.  Lol

I made the update on my own version.  I’m not going to do a re-release right now as it’s been rumored (for quite some time) that MTL is trying to trade Pacioretty, OTT is trying to trade Karlsson and CAR may trade Justin Faulk.  Plus, who knows what FAs may still sign somewhere prior to training camp.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Tabs3121 said:

Is it October yet? I want hockey back!

Dilly dilly!  Lol

Even as a Rangers fan, without my usual excitement, I’m still itching for a new nhl season!

Edited by The Sauce

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 4:47 AM, Kidlavington said:

thanks 4 the game!  your the first person to get vertanen right... also as a canuck fan could you squeeze quinten huges into the game cause canucks do not have anyone to run their power play :)

Thanks @Kidlavington

Quinn Hughes committed to another year at U of Michigan for 2018-19, so I didn’t include him.  However, if you like, I have been updating the roster, since originally posting it, and could PM you a version with Hughes.  Let me know if you want a “Hughes included” version.  

This version (if you want it) will have Skinner on the Sabres and some recent signings and updates.

Edited by The Sauce

Awesome work as always Sauce! I played your 18 version last spring to death, and can't wait for the opening night 19 version! Go Flames Go!

Random question for you (or anyone really): Any idea if it is possible to play your PP lines during even strength? I always thought it would be cool to roll 4 lines and use the PP2 as the unofficial 4th line. I swear I've seen the CPU play their PP lines at even strength at the end of the game when the score is close...or am I making that up? haha!

27 minutes ago, bbb777 said:

Awesome work as always Sauce! I played your 18 version last spring to death, and can't wait for the opening night 19 version! Go Flames Go!

Random question for you (or anyone really): Any idea if it is possible to play your PP lines during even strength? I always thought it would be cool to roll 4 lines and use the PP2 as the unofficial 4th line. I swear I've seen the CPU play their PP lines at even strength at the end of the game when the score is close...or am I making that up? haha!

Thanks @bbb777

I'm continuously tweaking away at the opening night roster rom.  I just updated it to have Max Pacioretty on Vegas as he was traded, last night, for Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki and a draft pick.  If anyone wants an updated copy now, just let me know.  If not...October.

Unfortunately, you can't use the PP units at even strength unless, the PP is the same as one of your standard 3 lines.  I wish there could be a 4th line as well but it doesn't appear doable at this time.  I pretty sure the CPU runs their Checking line against you if the game is close and in the 3rd period.  

Edited by The Sauce

17 minutes ago, The Sauce said:

Thanks @bbb777

I'm continuously tweaking away at the opening night roster rom.  I just updated it to have Max Pacioretty on Vegas as he was traded, last night, for Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki and a draft pick.  If anyone wants an updated copy now, just let me know.  If not...October.

Unfortunately, you can't use the PP units at even strength unless, the PP is the same as one of your standard 3 lines.  I wish there could be a 4th line as well but it doesn't appear doable at this time.  I pretty sure the CPU runs their Checking line against you if the game is close and in the 3rd period.  

Weird. Maybe I'm thinking of the old PC version? No biggie. Hey, I'll take an updated preview version with the MTL/VGK trade. Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, bbb777 said:

Weird. Maybe I'm thinking of the old PC version? No biggie. Hey, I'll take an updated preview version with the MTL/VGK trade. Thanks again!

Cool... I'll get ya a copy tonight (when I'm home from work).  Plus, I'm still sorta waiting to see if the trade officially goes through as it is rumored to be "conditioned" on Pacioretty signing an extension with Vegas.  It will probably happen but just in case...

Edited by The Sauce

44 minutes ago, The Sauce said:

Cool... I'll get ya a copy tonight (when I'm home from work).  Plus, I'm still sorta waiting to see if the trade officially goes through as it is rumored to be "conditioned" on Pacioretty signing an extension with Vegas.  It will probably happen but just in case...

sounds good. no rush at all. 

Hey @bbb777  and/or anyone else interested...

...rather then delete my previous version, I uploaded an updated version of my 2019 ROM (in case anyone preferred the older version).  It is posted within my original post, up top in this thread, and titled "NHL94 2019 Preseason Edition".

This updated version includes the Skinner trade to Buffalo, August/September free agent signings and last night's Max Pacioretty trade to Vegas (as he signed an extension, with them, this afternoon).  I've done some player edits and line combo changes here and there (nothing major).  I also updated a ton of jersey numbers.  And, I finally got around to renaming Toronto's arena.  :)

As Henrik Zetterberg has not yet announced if he will play this season, he is still in Detroit's starting line-up.  Injured players like Cory Schneider, Ryan Kesler and Shea Weber are still on their team's starting line-ups (more fun to have them in, IMO).  Suspended players like Nate Schmidt (suspended 20 games for violation of league performance enhancing drug program) are still active as well.

For @Kidlavington  I included Quinn Hughes on the Canucks roster.  I didn't put him in the starting line-up as I don't know who you want him paired with or what PP unit you would want him on.  So, I'll leave that up to you as you can make the change prior to any game start or in NOSE.

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce

Great job, @The Sauce! I'm a huge Pens fan, so I noticed you had an error in your roster for them. Daniel Sprong is #41 and a Right handed shot and Matt Cullen is #7 and a lefty. It seams you switched them. You had it correct in the earlier release.

Thanks for taking the time to release this. I'm a big fan of what you've done!

24 minutes ago, petraiwe said:

Great job, @The Sauce! I'm a huge Pens fan, so I noticed you had an error in your roster for them. Daniel Sprong is #41 and a Right handed shot and Matt Cullen is #7 and a lefty. It seams you switched them. You had it correct in the earlier release.

Thanks for taking the time to release this. I'm a big fan of what you've done!

Hi @petraiwe ... thanks for the kind words!

That's funny that you say bring up that mistake... that happened with another team but I caught it before posting the updated rom.  Something funky must be going on...

I will review each team, tonight, and re-post with the corrections.  Thanks for catching/reporting it... I'll have fixed version posted sometime tonight.

Cheers!

UPDATE: The jersey number/hand issue has effected certain teams/certain players.  I will be correcting it tonight and re-posting.  My theory is that when I exported the roster into a CSV file (via roster extraction tool), to edit, and imported it back, it may have created some errors.  Lesson learned.

Edited by The Sauce

OK...I have re-posted the NHL94 2019 Preseason Edition ROM in the original post of this thread.  Only a quarter or less of the players were effected by the glitch.  I have fixed the jersey numbers on several teams (based on jersey numbers confirmed by teams) so that they match my previous released version.  I also fixed several players where the shooting hand was switched.  I used the official team sites to confirm them.

Thanks @petraiwe for catching the error and letting me know!  If anyone sees any other mistakes/errors, please let me know. 

I also made sure to put Adam McQuaid on the Rangers roster as he was traded to the them today.

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce

2 hours ago, bbb777 said:

Sauce-bro, you knew Karlsson would get traded as soon as you released this, right? HAHA! Welp, at least that mess is over. What a steal by SJ btw. 

LOL ... was just a matter of when...

I was planning on holding off doing any roster updates for a while (was thinking of holding off until opening night) but, this one was too good to delay.  Please find re-posted, up top, the NHL94 2019 Preseason Edition rom with Erik Karlsson on the Sharks. 

I also took advantage of the timing to update some (confirmed) new jersey numbers for various players. 

Edited by The Sauce
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, The Sauce said:

As Henrik Zetterberg has not yet announced if he will play this season, he is still in Detroit's starting line-up.  Injured players like Cory Schneider, Ryan Kesler and Shea Weber are still on their team's starting line-ups (more fun to have them in, IMO).  Suspended players like Nate Schmidt (suspended 20 games for violation of league performance enhancing drug program) are still active as well.

GM Ken Holland just announced that Zetterberg is retiring (basically, extended LTIR until that contracts expires ala Hossa) due to back injury issues.  Sad to see him go as he was a great player!

Edited by The Sauce

18 hours ago, The Sauce said:

LOL ... was just a matter of when...

I was planning on holding off doing any roster updates for a while (was thinking of holding off until opening night) but, this one was too good to delay.  Please find re-posted, up top, the NHL94 2019 Preseason Edition rom with Erik Karlsson on the Sharks. 

I also took advantage of the timing to update some (confirmed) new jersey numbers for various players. 

Right on! Thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CheezyMeister said:

I'm hosting a retro Nhl94 tournament with your ROM. Will it be easy for me to change the intro screen with my own image?

BTW good job on those rosters!

Thanks!

Yup... should be pretty easy for you to swap out the title screen image to whatever you would like it to be...

I have been working on updating this roster, off and on, over the last week or two (mostly while watching preseason games).  I have updated some of the lines (based on team reports/games) as well as some player attributes.  I have added around 10-15 players (mostly rookies) since the last update.  I also swapped out Mike "Doc" Emerick for Kenny Albert on the pre-game screen.

I wasn't planning to release the next version until the start of the season.  So, in about a week or so.  If you would like a updated copy for your tourney, now, let me and know and I can PM it to you.

Edited by The Sauce

3 hours ago, Tabs3121 said:

Since William Nylander still doesnt have a contract with the Leafs, Will he still be on the team in your start of season rom?

Yes, he will...

Him and Nick Ritchie (ANA).  Both have yet to sign with their teams but, it is fairly likely that they will.  Or, they will get traded and in which case, they will likely sign with their new team.  Toronto said yesterday that they are not looking to trade Nylander, at this time.  Reportedly, Carolina recently inquired.  However, I doubt that they will keep him long term if he doesn't sign.  My guess is that he'll eventually sign some sort of 2-year "bridge deal" to stay in Toronto.

I am also keeping injured players (Ryan Kesler, Shea Weber, Corey Crawford, etc.) in the line-ups.  So, no, this will not be a "realistic/live time" roster.  This is a "healthy" line-up ROM as I find it more fun to play that way.  The lines/d pairings are based on what is projected to be once those players return (or where they slotted last year via leftwinglock's site).  I'll leave it up to the user to determine who they want to activate/de-activate at game time.

Guys on LTIR who won't return (Zetterberg) or are rumored to eventually retire (Gaborik), are not in the game.  Gaborik had major off-season back surgery and is 36 and signed to what may be the worst team in the NHL.  I can see him retiring.

The ROM is almost done.  I am working on a hexcode fix right now to accommodate something new I am trying out.  If it doesn't work, to my liking, I will scrap that idea and go as originally planned.  As there are some actual NHL preseason games, today, I am awaiting final cuts for certain teams to see who I may add/take away (rookie wise).

• Like 1