NHL'94 Forums

TOOL: NHL '94 Offline Stat Extractor

TOOL: NHL '94 Offline Stat Extractor

Current Version :  0.1.1 (08/15/2018)

This tool, given a ROM and a save state (made at the appropriate time), will extract the data to an Excel-style (.xls) Spreadsheet similar to the box score on nhl94online.com

Spreadsheet.png

How it works: 

Main Screen.png

Very simple. Choose the ROM that you used to play the game. Enter the period length of the game that was played (default is 5 min, in increments of 1 min). Choose the save state to extract the stats from. Click on "Extract to XLS..." and a pop-up window will ask you where you would like to save the file to, and what you would like to name it. The program will extract the data to the spreadsheet. The .xls file can be opened with any spreadsheet program (MS Excel, OpenOffice Calc, Mac Numbers, etc). 

When making the save state, the save should be made when the "Three Stars" screen pops up, or the Final Game Summary Screen ("where you have the Exit Game option").

System Requirements:

- Windows XP or later (32 or 64-bit)

- Currently supports only Gens emulator saves (see below)

Future Additions:

Add batch save state uploading, appending to one workbook (next version ~ 1 week from now)

- Add ZSNES and RetroArch save state compatibility (next version ~ 1 week from now)

- Add formula fields instead of all text fields (so if changes are made, they will update the appropriate stats (ex. GAA for goalies))

- Mac version (once I figure out how to make an installer)

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I will try to accommodate them.

Version History:

v0.1 - Initial

v0.1.1 - Fixed divide by zero bug

Download installer (v0.1.1):

NHL94 Offline Stat Extractor Setup v0.1.1.exe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slapshot67 said:

this is excellent work, although I cant get it working on my windows 7 home 64bit, I get the "NHL94 Stat extractor v0.1has stopped working"

will this support 30-32 team roms?

Interesting, it works on mine. Let me check.

Yes, I'm using the pointer table to get the home and away teams, so as long as that is correct it will work.

Is it an issue with the installer or the program?

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, D-Hizzle said:

Does this work with the states saved from Retroarch?  Those seem to come out in a different format than the Stat Extractor wants to use.

No it does not. I will update this this week, thanks for reminding me!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 6:52 AM, chaos said:

No it does not. I will update this this week, thanks for reminding me!

Man, I can't thank you enough for all the work you put into this.  You and all of the others (like Smoz) who have written all of these programs; whatever time you put into it just makes me like this community more and more.

Also, if it ever comes to it that you are able to add batch conversion to the extractor, I'll be able to die in peace.

• 2 months later...

Chaos, I’m curious whether you had a chance to look into RetroArch compatibility with the stat extractor. Did you run into an unexpected challenge with it, or have you just not had a chance to pursue it yet? Thanks in advance!

18 hours ago, Gretzky said:

Chaos, I’m curious whether you had a chance to look into RetroArch compatibility with the stat extractor. Did you run into an unexpected challenge with it, or have you just not had a chance to pursue it yet? Thanks in advance!

Been busy. I' ll work on this this week, promise.

Thanks, chaos, much appreciated! Do you know whether there’s a way to make the extractor output Excel file automatically recognize number values as numbers? The output file does not interpret many of the number fields as number format, which is causing a little hiccup for the way I intend to use the file. Not something I can’t workaround, but if there’s a way to fix the output file, it would save me a little trouble. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Gretzky said:

Thanks, chaos, much appreciated! Do you know whether there’s a way to make the extractor output Excel file automatically recognize number values as numbers? The output file does not interpret many of the number fields as number format, which is causing a little hiccup for the way I intend to use the file. Not something I can’t workaround, but if there’s a way to fix the output file, it would save me a little trouble. Thanks!

I'll look into it.

21 hours ago, Gretzky said:

@Gretzky I was able to add RA save states and change the formatting to numbers (and fix some bugs). I will upload a new version later in the week. I want to also add the function to be able to add a worksheet to an existing workbook, so it's not always saving separate files. Once I do that I'll upload here. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chaos said:

I want to also add the function to be able to add a worksheet to an existing workbook, so it's not always saving separate files.

Extra work but it'd be awesome if it could update a "totals" worksheet

1 hour ago, chaos said:

@Gretzky I was able to add RA save states and change the formatting to numbers (and fix some bugs). I will upload a new version later in the week. I want to also add the function to be able to add a worksheet to an existing workbook, so it's not always saving separate files. Once I do that I'll upload here. 

Thanks @chaos! Glad you have been able to incorporate compatibility with RetroArch save states. Looking forward to using the finished product!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have this up sometime this weekend. I have to switch over to a different excel exporting module, so have to rewrite some of the code. After I'm done, you should be able to export multiple games into one spreadsheet, and hopefully I can add a totals sheet too.

31 minutes ago, chaos said:

I'll have this up sometime this weekend. I have to switch over to a different excel exporting module, so have to rewrite some of the code. After I'm done, you should be able to export multiple games into one spreadsheet, and hopefully I can add a totals sheet too.

@chaos Sounds great! Really appreciate your taking the time not only to implement the RA compatibility but also to improve upon the tool with multiple game exports and potentially totals. If you can figure out a way for Excel to interpret TOI as minutes and seconds (rather than 24-hr time), which will be necessary for totaling, I would think, then you’ll have achieved the holy grail as far as I’m concerned! :D

2 hours ago, Gretzky said:

@chaos Sounds great! Really appreciate your taking the time not only to implement the RA compatibility but also to improve upon the tool with multiple game exports and potentially totals. If you can figure out a way for Excel to interpret TOI as minutes and seconds (rather than 24-hr time), which will be necessary for totaling, I would think, then you’ll have achieved the holy grail as far as I’m concerned! :D

Yep, this should be possible!

@chaos Something I just noticed when using the extractor last night is that the penalty minutes column isn't actually recording PIMs. It looks like it might be recording Checks Against in that column, but I’m not sure. Have you noticed this before?

2 hours ago, Gretzky said:

@chaos Something I just noticed when using the extractor last night is that the penalty minutes column isn't actually recording PIMs. It looks like it might be recording Checks Against in that column, but I’m not sure. Have you noticed this before?

This would be the case with a ROM using the checks for/against hack. PIMs can only be determined using the penalty summary in those ROMs.

57 minutes ago, smozoma said:

This would be the case with a ROM using the checks for/against hack. PIMs can only be determined using the penalty summary in those ROMs.

@smozoma Thanks for that information...makes sense now. I’m using the extractor with @Jkline3’s ECAC Hockey ROM, which must be based on a ROM using the checks for/against hack.

• chaos pinned this topic