NHL'94 Forums

The "Cheap Goal" (for SNES)

nate

This is to address a couple of threads, and all the whining I've encountered, about the supposed "cheap goals" in NHL 94. This only pertains to the SNES version, as without defence control and manual goalie in the Genesis version I'm on the fence about the issue.

For SNES, with defence control and manual goalie, there is NO goal that cannot be defended against. My roomate and I (who were best friends playing the game back in 94 when it came out) abolished the "cheap" wraparound goal from the start because we thought it was unfair and stupid, and kept it abolished for over 10 years.

As our game evolved over time, reaching a climax in first year university, we then abolished the triple deke goal as we could score it 99/100 times without effort, leaving one timers and slapshots as the only acceptable way of scoring. While we became pretty sick at scoring 4way give-and-go's for highlight reel goals, when we played against a mediocre player we were killed by the triple deke because we'd adjusted our defences to allow for it. We then reintroduced the triple deke into our games, and after about a year figured out a defensive system that severly dropped scoring into our games (essentialy a neutral zone trap with a d-man planted in the slot).

Because we still had wrap-arounds banned, we could leave our defenceman planted in front of the net facing away from our goalie and stop nearly every rush, and with manual goalie, scoring on breakaways became increasingly difficult. The game had begun to lose its luster until one day we decided to reintroduce the wraparound.

It kept us honest, as we couldn't plant our d-men in front of the net, and now had to keep them offset a bit to protect against behind the net walk-outs, which freed up slot-area passing lanes and mobility for the oppositon. Now, because anything goes, we're forced to defend against every possible attack (and believe me, my roomate and I know every possible way to score in this game), and the wraparound is only used to keep the d-men from leaving the side of the net unattended (we probably score a wraparound goal once every five or six games because now that we play with it it's so easy to defend against). Now the game has regained its stature, and games can range from a 2-1 goaltending duel to a 9-8 thriller.

If you're constantly letting the wraparound in on the SNES platform it means you're keeping your d-men in front of your goalie way too often, or you haven't mastered the manual goalie in combination with defence control. There's really no excuse for calling it a cheap goal, it can only really be called an "obvious" goal.

If you're still not convinced, I'm willing to put money on the fact that nobody can score a wraparound goal on me in SNES.

Hopefully this helps to stop a lot of whining and a bit of controversy.

I want to play against you. damn my lack of an online computer. I don't suppose you are ever near Worcester, Massachusetts, USA...

I like a challenge and I think you COULD beat me.

those who dismiss the SNES version are so misguided (I'd bet they all believe in a god or gods and vote for social conservatives); it is infinitely better than the Genesis version (which I find unplayable, except for novelty).

maybe I'll try the 100-point challenge after you prove you can do it with a real team against a great AI team.

• 3 years later...

I agree with you completely. You can defend against anything if your good enough.

If you're still not convinced, I'm willing to put money on the fact that nobody can score a wraparound goal on me in SNES.

I'll take you up on this.

I thought I'd give this the old four year bump. How has the game evolved, do "cheap" goals still exist, are they disallowed? What's the deal with these?

I do remember the threads that talked about "cheap" goals. I don't recall of any league putting a restriction on how someone can score. I don't think the issue has been brought up since this thread's era.

i was bitched at and quit on because of a crease cut goal...but that was gens.

crease cuts (or walk-acrosses) are pretty lame if it's all someone does. people who keep targetting it are so boring to play against: "comes down the wing, into the corner, loops to the net, smoked by a D. next rush.. oh look, he's going into the corner again for the 7th time this period..". it's not too bad in the Blitz league because the weight bug fix makes the D tough, but in GDL, it's impossible to stop weightbuggers like roenick, fleury, or ronning, since pretty much all the D weigh 6+.

however, sometimes the puck just hops free to a guy who's wide open beside the net... i don't mind much if someone creasecuts in a case like that were the situation happened spontaneously.. but i can't stand when guys try to manufacture the crease cut on purpose.

i agree. if someone keeps targeting it, it's actually pretty easy to stop, so if someone wants to try crease cuts all night, that's fine i guess. just happens fairly often when the puck is there, no d in sight and a straight line across the top of the crease...

i agree. if someone keeps targeting it, it's actually pretty easy to stop, so if someone wants to try crease cuts all night, that's fine i guess. just happens fairly often when the puck is there, no d in sight and a straight line across the top of the crease...

Goalie Control.

I agree with you completely. You can defend against anything if your good enough.

I'll take you up on this.

Ha, yeah it's been a while since I posted that. Never done the rom/emulator thing, and never got into any of the mods/hacks etc.

Buddy mentioned in that post just got back from oz and we just had a best of 13 series (or something like that, we weren't really keeping track), reminded me of these boards. I'm a little rusty....

crease cuts (or walk-acrosses) are pretty lame if it's all someone does. people who keep targetting it are so boring to play against: "comes down the wing, into the corner, loops to the net, smoked by a D. next rush.. oh look, he's going into the corner again for the 7th time this period..". it's not too bad in the Blitz league because the weight bug fix makes the D tough, but in GDL, it's impossible to stop weightbuggers like roenick, fleury, or ronning, since pretty much all the D weigh 6+.

however, sometimes the puck just hops free to a guy who's wide open beside the net... i don't mind much if someone creasecuts in a case like that were the situation happened spontaneously.. but i can't stand when guys try to manufacture the crease cut on purpose.

There are always other methods for scoring.

Curiously enough, I did score some goals this way when I first started out. You could say I was an artist with that, since it worked out whenever I needed to surprise someone a few times when the tried and true tactics weren't cutting it. I don't do it that often nowadays because now I have thought of better options of scoring and I also opt for slapshots with my best shooter after a faceoff.

It's still a shitsucker trying to catch one-timers on manual control, though. I can stop it a few times and I wish I could do it like some of the highlight videos I've seen. :P

Curiously enough, I did score some goals this way when I first started out. You could say I was an artist with that, since it worked out whenever I needed to surprise someone a few times when the tried and true tactics weren't cutting it.

Yeah, I get burned once in a while with the walkacross because I sometimes don't defend against it, since it's it's a goal i avoid doing.

I hate the walkacross so much I can't even do it in real life hockey when I get the chance. Had a great chance at a goal this past year and instinctively avoided walking across, instead trying to put it short-side high, a nearly impossible shot from how close I was.. missed the net. Realized afterwards I should have walkacrossed it

. (not that i did the spin move to get around the D.. i did a peewee-aged gretzky move :P can't find that video anymore..)

EDIT: it's in "Hockey: A People's History" in I think episode 8 of 10, showing Gretzky in a pee wee tournament in Quebec. This series isn't on youtube, though. a simple move that works amazingly well for getting around guys when on your off-wing.

Edited by smozoma

I think in SNES, any goals go. No matter if you intercept a pass from the goalie and have a wide open net or you want to do the crease cutter, it's all fair game in my books. The crease cutter is one of the easiest goals to defend against, so if you can't defend against it, tough luck. If crease cutting is considered "cheap", what about a fake crease cutter? I often like to start doing a crease cutter, then stop and shoot short side as the goalie moves across the crease. I like doing this one a lot and I wonder if others ever consider that one "cheap"?

Ya, Im a big fan of the fake crease cut.

What'll happen sometimes is Ill fake crease cut but they didnt defend the crease cut to begin with so the fake gets stopped when the crease cut on its own would of scored.

:P

I remember the time I was playing fenty and I tried the crease cut and then i tried to fake him out with the reverse crease cut, then stutter stepped the crease cut doing 360 crease cut turns to fake out the faking in order to fake out that I was faking.

And then he knocked me down with his d-man.

If you can't defend the crease cut it's your own fault and you should be scored on that way for eternity until you learn how to stop it at least some of the time.

The best way I find to avoid the hassle of the fake cut/shortside/floating backhand/vanilla cut- all variations essentially- is to simply move the goalie vertically so as to cut off and knockdown the skater trying to go across the net in the first place. It saves all those mind games involved with thinking about if he is going to fake, or fake the fake, or fake fake the fake etc.

Ya, Im a big fan of the fake crease cut.

What'll happen sometimes is Ill fake crease cut but they didnt defend the crease cut to begin with so the fake gets stopped when the crease cut on its own would of scored.

:angry:

haha, i do that too...

If you can't defend the crease cut it's your own fault and you should be scored on that way for eternity until you learn how to stop it at least some of the time.

The best way I find to avoid the hassle of the fake cut/shortside/floating backhand/vanilla cut- all variations essentially- is to simply move the goalie vertically so as to cut off and knockdown the skater trying to go across the net in the first place. It saves all those mind games involved with thinking about if he is going to fake, or fake the fake, or fake fake the fake etc.

i agree. sometimes it's hard to remember your goalie can do more than go left and right (super chexx) when a crease cut is coming. i never think about going straight out and knockin the guy down. i've seen it done plenty, just need to learn to do it myself.

i agree. sometimes it's hard to remember your goalie can do more than go left and right (super chexx) when a crease cut is coming. i never think about going straight out and knockin the guy down. i've seen it done plenty, just need to learn to do it myself.

Yeah, this is why I like people trying the move. As the opposing guy moves in his entire team tends to pinch down, and it's a very straightforward play with manual goalie to knock him down, take the puck, then feed an odd-man rush going the other way.