NHL'94 Forums

What you liked or didn't like about jj's Summer league?

jackandjose

Overall I think the summer league was fun and served it's purpose. Everyone pretty much played as much or as little as they wanted.  11 guys played more than 50 games and 2 more played more than 40.   Those are more than full seasons in most leagues.  

I would definitely like to run this again next summer so please make suggestions on any changes that should be considered.

I would possibly raise the minimum games to 40.  Also, maybe only have 8 games versus each opponent so a complete season is more doable.  

Edited by jackandjose

1 hour ago, jackandjose said:

Overall I think the summer league was fun and served it's purpose. Everyone pretty much played as much or as little as they wanted.  11 guys played more than 50 games and 2 more played more than 40.   Those are more than full seasons in most leagues.  

I would definitely like to run this again next summer so please make suggestions on any changes that should be considered.

I would possibly raise the minimum games to 40.  Also, maybe only have 8 games versus each opponent so a complete season is more doable.  

I was going to start a thread like this.

I loved this league and almost all of the ideas.

-Play as much as you like!
-Double Elimination Playoffs!

I would make 2 changes the season would be one month long max.
I would also put tighter deadlines on the playoffs.
Really no excuse to be waiting for people.

But JJ, I salute you this should be the standard for all leagues moving forward.

• Like 1

Freedom of schedule for a group of guys who all play at various times randomly when they feel like it for a few weeks and then disappear for a month, and then play at 7 pm eastern, but then next time always at 11 pm eastern, etc.
The rigid schedule is probably best suited for when most the site was filled with guys playing between 7-11 pm 3-4 nights a week plus, and the only way you DIDN'T get your games in was by not showing up.

Now, you can show up 3-4 days in a row and not see a soul, or show up one day and get 15 games in!
So, I really felt the theme of a Summer League and stretching it out fit with it completely.

However, I think if you were going to have an easy rest/extended season, should have timed out a double elimination playoffs to not last so long.  In other words, guys would have to know they will be facing off this coming time frame, and it's show up or forfeit, cause double elimination with guys showing when they want is a 2 month playoff all day.

As for schedules, I think having LESS games to log vs the same users is probably a better idea. 
I'd say 6 games or 8 games.

Either way, solid summer fun.  Thanks JJ

• Like 1

I liked it!  I give it an A, for a first go round.  It is the perfect format for summer.  I also salute J&J for the idea and for running things! :)

I do think 8 games per team instead of 10 is a good idea.  

I love the double elimination idea, except feel it is ill suited for a summer league because now the playoffs will drag on too long.  For the same reason -- timeliness! --  I actually think the playoffs should be only top 8 teams, again, to speed up completion time.  My preference would to have this league wrap up by Sept 1 through whatever means necessary.  In the future, anyway...

Edited by aqualizard
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CoachMac said:

I was going to start a thread like this.

I loved this league and almost all of the ideas.

-Play as much as you like!
-Double Elimination Playoffs!

I would make 2 changes the season would be one month long max.
I would also put tighter deadlines on the playoffs.
Really no excuse to be waiting for people.

But JJ, I salute you this should be the standard for all leagues moving forward.

+1 on playing as much as you like and double elimination playoffs.

I think shorter seasons and tighter playoff deadlines are perfect for fall and winter and should be the standard.  A more relaxed approach suits the summer though I think.

Been thinking about things, and want to tweak what I said above.

Because this is a Summer League, and in my opinion should try to wrap up at the end of summer, I think playoffs should be:

1. top 8 play for "Tier A Cup"
2. bottom 8 play for "Tier B Cup"

Then most guys can still join in playoff fun, but the playoff A and B can play concurrently, making for quicker finishes. 

Note: I do love the double elimination, I just think it is better suited for non-summer leagues.
Note 2: I love the league, and am in not matter if there are rule/format tweaks or not. :)