NHL'94 Forums

New League Idea - Flotsam and Jetsam League

Concept:  A draft league of players that are rarely if ever drafted in any of the other draft leagues - yes, a draft of misfit players.  This idea came up after enjoying playing with AJ's Summer League band of misfits.

Number of Coaches:  6-8

Roster Size: 5 Forwards. 4 defensemen and up to 3 goalies (always wanted options!)

Draft Type - snake, order randomly selected

Pool of Players:  Classic ROM with player F < = 55 overall, Defensemen < = 50 and G <=47  (132-F, 110-D, 26-G)

Rules:  Classic

Bug Fixes:  None

Hot/Cold:  Actual ratings - variable

Number of games : ~40

Divisions: 1

If you're interested please let me know.  If you have any additional idea's please post also.  I think you may enjoy the change of pace of play with this cast of rejects.

Coaches Confirmed:

1) Coachmac

2) AngryJay 

3) Icestorm

4) Brutus

5) Jer

6) Lupz

This type of thing is obviously my jam so yes id be interested if i have the time and classic league doesnt take place. 

The only thing I would possibly reconsider is raising the minimum attributes from 50 to 55-60 for Forwards. Once you get down to 50 rated forwards, it becomes very bad very fast.

If it's <=50, Only 1 forward will have 4 speed (Rob Ray, 42 Ovr)

<=55 will have Randy Wood with 5 Spd and 8 players with 4 speed (Lindberg, Patterson, Jocelyn Lemieux, Pantaleyev, Gaetan Duchesne, Berezan, Andersson, Ray)

The only defenseman with <=55 Ovr and 4 speed is Frank Musil (53 Ovr).

Maybe that's an argument for using 50 as the cutoff, so no one has 4 speed "superstars" :)

On the other hand, super interested to see Randy Wood get some action.

Using 50 also eliminates all forwards with 4 shot power (J.Lemieux 54, Tkatchuk 55), 4 Stick handling (Brent Gilchrist 55, Rob Brown 54), and 4 Passing (Bobby Smith, 53)

Either way, it's a super interesting experiment!

1 hour ago, angryjay93 said:

This type of thing is obviously my jam so yes id be interested if i have the time and classic league doesnt take place. 

The only thing I would possibly reconsider is raising the minimum attributes from 50 to 55-60 for Forwards. Once you get down to 50 rated forwards, it becomes very bad very fast.

That’s the intent!  Super bad hockey players requiring coaches to rely on hot/cold and using all their F’s and D at different points throughout the season.  I loved exi’ing with your team insummer league and scrolling their attributes to find out who should actually start.

15 hours ago, smozoma said:

I suggest making it <=55, just so that Randy Wood's 5/1 skating and Mike Foligno's and Mike Eagle's 5 checkings can be experienced in the league (is it WBF?)

These guys are in my Original 6 roms.  I love these unique type players.  They have different names but very similar attributes.  In many of my 1950's roms, Rudy Migay of Toronto has Randy Wood's attributes, and George Armstrong, Joe Klukay, and Ed Westfall have Folingo and Eagle's attributes.

15 hours ago, angryjay93 said:

15 hours ago, smozoma said:

If it's <=50, Only 1 forward will have 4 speed (Rob Ray, 42 Ovr)

<=55 will have Randy Wood with 5 Spd and 8 players with 4 speed (Lindberg, Patterson, Jocelyn Lemieux, Pantaleyev, Gaetan Duchesne, Berezan, Andersson, Ray)

The only defenseman with <=55 Ovr and 4 speed is Frank Musil (53 Ovr).

Maybe that's an argument for using 50 as the cutoff, so no one has 4 speed "superstars" :)

On the other hand, super interested to see Randy Wood get some action.

I would suggest letting @angryjay93 set the parameters of the players, in fact we could just draft the teams he drafted to create the Capitals.

He did like 14 teams.  I included the KC Scouts he drafted/created in the summer rom.

I am working on the rom now.  It is the Federal League.  IF you guys like it we can use it, if not I had fun making it.

28 minutes ago, IceStorm70 said:

Coach let’s chat. AJ and I discussed last night.  I think <= 60 is where we’ll go.  

What players are on the Federal League Rom?  

I  like 60.

The Federal League Rom just has guys from the Movie all rated 81.  I made it originally as a 2v2 rom with just the Chiefs and Bulldaogs and am converting it to 5v5 for this league and including all the teams from the Movie.

Broome County Blades
Charlestown Chiefs
Hyannisport Presidents
Lancaster Gears
Long Island Ducks
Peterboro Patriots
Syracuse Bulldogs

Plus I could add custom teams people want.  Rockford Ice Hogs for Brutus etc... if we have more than 7.

Since this is different would be cool to have different teams and this is more a minor league.
We could even make some of the guys from the movie as new players with low, unique ratings.

ss2.PNGss3.PNG

syrvscha.PNGHANSON.PNGLIVSBRO.PNG

• Like 1

I'll work the spreadsheets when I get home. My initial thoughts are.

Forwards Max overall 55-60

Defenseman Max overall 50

Goalies Max overall 47

I like all of coaches ideas. Maybe one created player per team because one of the appealing things about this league is using guys on the rom that would never be otherwise used.

30 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

No problem, saves me some work.

I think if this takes off and there are multiple seasons it’ll be nice to add new players to freshen it up abit.  

Lol I just found myself looking at the undrafted players that fall in the rating categories in Plablegs 3 google doc, already has me looking at players I’ve never glanced over more then once.

I drew up some numbers during lunch and have come  to these conclusions.

Forwards:

- At 60 overall a forwards skills become rudimentary. Only a handful of players have a skill rating of 4 (sth, pass, or shp) No player has more than one skill with a 4 rating.
- Essentially all we are doing is weeding out who can skate and potential weight buggers. In a 6 team league there are 18 starting forwards and 12 subs. 
- I think 55 is an interesting break. It maintains the players with a 4 skill but cuts down on the players who have 4 agility or 4 speed to roughly 1-2 forwards per team. Only 3 players would be a 4/4 skater. 
- Weight buggers could be a bit of an issue. With such porous skating they and CB checkers really become beefed up but I focus more on weight buggers since everyone can use them easily. At 55 overall there are 15 players at 4 or 5 weight. At 50 overall there are only 6. 

Defense:

- Anything above 50 seems too high, as there isn't a premium on any skill and we will all likely have similar defenses.
-The most interesting breaks are at 50, 48 and 46 overall. At 50 overall our starters will all likely be fairly competent. At 48 one guy will be competent and the other might be a bit rough. At 46 only a few teams will have a competent defender and the rest will be pretty lackluster.
- I vote for 46, the other two cutoffs do allow for some decent defenders but the lack of separation between them doesn't allow for much in the way of true standouts.

Goalie:

- I haven't done much research here but I have two thoughts. Either go with the 6 worst goalies (or however many teams there are) or use some cut off like 45. 

IMG_20180912_124929.jpg

• Like 1

Forwards at 55, or less eliminate a handful of forwards that would be like super stars in this league, it’s like 3-5 players, and it depends who has them if they would be very good, or not.

Ya 55 sounds good.  I would like to allow teams to have up to 3 goalies but only draft 2/3 goalies after everyone has 1.  I want to rotate and go with ‘hot’ G