NHL'94 Forums

Faceoffs

Zippy

Hey Zippy,
there are varying opinions on this.  And it has come up before. (See links below.)  (Also, I moved this thread from Bo Knows Best.. fits here better.)

My own feeling is, there is no strategy to winning; it is random.  The only thing you can do is use the D-pad to direct it.  But as I say, others feel differently.

See:

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16447-how-do-faceoffs-work-in-this-game/

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/6921-how-to-win-faceoffs/

Edited by aqualizard
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, so...

Pretty much the only part of this game that I don't understand is the faceoffs.

How do they work? How much chance is involved, and how?

What is the best strategy?

I don't think there is one.  I usually just mash the B button and hold the down arrow.  I'm usually above 50% but it seems very random as to who wins vs exact timing of the puck drop.  There have been times where I forgot to hit the B button or was off on my timing and still won.  Maybe certain attributes effect success?  I haven't tested or seen anything mentioning it.

I'm a believer in the rock-paper-scissors theory proposed by Brutus in one of the links, also backed by Plabax a few posts later. I have no evidence for it, though. Just has felt right a few times (was losing a lot of faceoffs, changed my direction, started winning all of them.. could be random though!)