NHL'94 Forums

Is it possible for someone to make a version of NOSE for Mac?

Jlsegafan2001

It is definitely possible!   But unlikely.

1. the pool of programmers with necessary skillset is smaller than those that do Windows stuff
2. the interest level in NHL94 is less than it has been, so this also diminishes the pool size

In short, is there someone out there with the skillset who is interested enough to do this? Probably not..

But never say never!!

NOSE was written in Visual Basic 6, which is a long-dead programming language (I used it in high school) made by Microsoft. So I don't see NOSE being released for Mac because of the unpredictable amount of work that would be needed to port it to the latest version of Visual Basic (some things may upgrade without issue, some things may need extra work, especially since I think wboy made some custom widgets).

Have you followed wboy's instructions in this post?: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16863-nose-on-linux/&tab=comments#comment-163596 

PS: please don't make "mystery" post titles. I updated it to be clearer.

• smozoma changed the title to Is it possible for someone to make a version of NOSE for Mac?
13 hours ago, Jlsegafan2001 said:

..for someone to make a version of NOSE for Mac? I tried using Wine to run NOSE, but the application won't load due to a missing step- the extraction of the nose.exe.manifest file.

Install Virtual Box, download (illegally) a copy of Win 2000 or Win XP, install Win 2k or XP in Virtual Box, and run NOSE in there. It works for me. (Virtual Box is free).

Then you can create a shared folder between the Win install and Mac, and transfer files that way.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2018 at 7:19 AM, smozoma said:

NOSE was written in Visual Basic 6, which is a long-dead programming language (I used it in high school) made by Microsoft. So I don't see NOSE being released for Mac because of the unpredictable amount of work that would be needed to port it to the latest version of Visual Basic (some things may upgrade without issue, some things may need extra work, especially since I think wboy made some custom widgets).

Have you followed wboy's instructions in this post?: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16863-nose-on-linux/&tab=comments#comment-163596 

PS: please don't make "mystery" post titles. I updated it to be clearer.

I don't think these steps will work on Mac.

10 hours ago, Jlsegafan2001 said:

I don't think these steps will work on Mac.

The Mac OS is built on Unix, so it might work. If a command is missing, you just need to Google for how to install is on mac.

• 4 weeks later...

I used Wineskin to run NOSE when I was doing all my edits and it worked great.  The best part is that once you have your skin setup it works almost exactly like a native app in MacOS.

I do remember a couple other apps giving me problems.  I had both Windows 8 and MacOS installed on my computer at the time and I constantly had to switch between operating systems depending on the program I needed to use.   But most of them I could get functioning on the mac side using Wine.

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:08 AM, jer_33 said:

Scrap the MAC/PC. NOSE needs to be ported online... :dal_skater_hand_grab:

I agree wholeheartedly!!! However, there is some pride in editing the actual code for me... it's more rewarding to play with the code than to use someone else's tool. That being said, I need NOSE very badly lol