NHL'94 Forums

NHL "95 Full Season Bug

Puck Junk

On 3/29/2023 at 5:23 PM, rezmang said:

Excellent. Is the source or assembly available somewhere for the original NHL 95 rom? I do have experience with this kind of code and wanted to take a peak at what the actual bug is.

I’m about 10 games shy of hitting this bug on the original, so I hope to start testing cheat code patches soon.

Thank you!!!!

Are you doing this on original hardware with a game genie? It would be cool if you took a video of it working, and you making the playoffs with 128+points on a real system! You'll be the first person in history to get around the bug! I'm putting together a video for this, and being able to include someone showing it working would be cool to have in it.

Nah, I’m not that cool :]

Using RetroArch via https://github.com/eduardofilo/RG350_adam_image/blob/master/README.md

But I can provide you before and after screenshots if that helps.

I did want to investigate if it’s possible to simplify the patch to a single code, but not sure if that’s realistic. Signed integer overflow is a pretty common bug, especially in the 8/16 bit world. My hope was there might be an earlier summing function we could tweak or this was the result of a bad masked 16bit conversion. I still need to sit down and stare at the assembly for a while, but it does seem like you have a pretty good handle on this. So thank you for your hard work and diligence on this. Making a video on this is a great idea!!!

4 hours ago, rezmang said:

Using RetroArch via https://github.com/eduardofilo/RG350_adam_image/blob/master/README.md

I did want to investigate if it’s possible to simplify the patch to a single code, but not sure if that’s realistic. Signed integer overflow is a pretty common bug, especially in the 8/16 bit world. My hope was there might be an earlier summing function we could tweak or this was the result of a bad masked 16bit conversion. I still need to sit down and stare at the assembly for a while, but it does seem like you have a pretty good handle on this. So thank you for your hard work and diligence on this. Making a video on this is a great idea!!!

Ah that's good thinking. I'll see what happens if I change the CMP.B to CMP.W (16-bit comparison instead of 8-bit). The extra bits in the D7 register are all 1s so are negative, but I think it might work anyway. That'll bring it down to 3 game genie codes (or just 2 if you can enter them after the game starts, bypassing the need for the checksum skip code).

Problem is... the part of the CMP that uses the address and register ($A1,D6), the extra bits accessed in that address might have something else in them, which won't sort properly. So I'll have to test it out to see what happens, because I don't know what else is in that memory. If it's something like Ties, then it won't work.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:41 AM, rezmang said:

I took a look at switching to 16-bit comparison, but it won't work because the data structure where it stores each teams points is adjacent 8-bit values. So using the 16-bit comparison would mix together the points of 2 teams. So the 5 codes from this message is the best that can be done. But the thing is, you don't need to enter the codes every time you play, so it's not a huge inconvenience to have 5 codes. You only really need to enter the codes before starting the playoffs so that it sets the matchups correctly.

• Thanks 1

Check out: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database

There is already a cheat config for NHL 95: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database/blob/master/cht/Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis/NHL 95 (USA%2C Europe).cht

Looking around, it seems you can combine multiple cheats codes using a plus sign (+).

I’m going on vacation for the next few weeks, but when I’m back I should have my season ready to test this. I will also upload my state file so you can play around with this too.

Thank you!!

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got back around to hitting the 128 point season bug on the original ROM. I have attached screen shots and game saves for 126 points and 128 points. I now have everything setup on my laptop, so I guess the next step is to try and get the patch codes in and verify everything is working. Not sure if I will get to this today, but I will definitely get back to this next weekend.

Thank you!!

image.pngimage.pngNHL '95.srm.points_128NHL '95.srm.points_126

Edited by rezmang