NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2019 Season ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

2 hours ago, The Sauce said:

Much like NHL94, I rate teams between 55-75 (although I think they go as low as 50).  In the 1994 version, Boston was the highest with a 76.  I follow the blueprint of the OG.  A 90 makes them too superhuman.  The OG uses it for the All-Star teams.

I start the season with three possible team rankings and as the season goes on, it increases to 4 and then 5 based on standings.  I do it this way because teams move up and down the standings all of the time.  As I do five rom updates per season, I'd rather not try and figure out what number they should be - 74 vs 75 vs 76, etc.  So, I have 5 spots and determine which team should occupy which spot at that time of the season.  Plus, it's not like a team will go from a 60 to a 75 overnight.  #MethodToMyMadness

Great to know, appreciate the explanation! 

2 hours ago, Cambridge94 said:

I am new to this and am having issues opening the .bin file. How do I extract the rom from the .bin?

Hello!  Welcome to the Forum!

The .bin file is the rom.  You will need an emulator to play/run it.  Check out page two (about half way down), of this particular thread, and you will see some nice 1st time user steps to follow for downloading an emulator and playing the file (posted by Smozoma). 

If you haven't already, make sure to review my original post in this thread for more details regarding this rom.  If you have any questions, let us know.

Happy gaming with good ol' hockey game!

Edited by The Sauce

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Iceisles said:

Random Q - does the CPU pull their goalie when down a goal or two in the 3rd?  I swore they didn't but played a game yesterday where I discovered no goalie in the last 90 seconds.  I was up 2.

I seem to recall reading on the forums in the past that original game has a bug where it only pulls the goalie when down 2 goals, not 1.

(That's probably a pretty easy bug to fix actually...)

• Like 2

V5 (the final season update) will be uploaded this weekend.  I'm just waiting for this season's playoff tree to be finalized.

I am trying out something (somewhat) new, in this version.  Each team will now have two scoring lines and one actual checking line whereas, previous versions often rolled 3 scoring lines of which, several didn't include a true checking/energy or defensive shutdown line.  By doing it this way, it creates more a strategy-driven rom if you play with line changes (which I do).  It makes close games fun in the 3rd period.  These lines will be the forwards (not sure if I'll match certain D to them or not) and will be based on combos once (or currently) used this season.  Examples include the awesome Jets shut-down line of Copp-Lowry-Tanev, the Bruins line of Wagner-Kuraly-Acciari, the Islander's line of Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck, the Flames line of Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway, etc.  I used some of them in v4 but now, each team will have one.  Of course, users can change them if they want...
A friend of mine likes to use NLC with just the checking/energy lines which makes for interesting low scoring/high checking games.  :)

For the two scoring lines, I used lines once (or currently) used in this season.  I found a site that not only tells you every line combo used so far, per team, but also which lines were most productive points-wise.  So, I (loosely) based them on that as well.

Some new rookies have been added, including Quinn Hughes and Taro Hirose.  I may add a few more in the upcoming days.

Lastly, I will do another 3v3 version.  Not sure when I'll upload it but, it will be sometime in April.

Cheers!

Hi All!

I just posted v5 of the rom (one page 1). 

Unlike previous versions of my roms, there are now just two playoff scenarios.  One, is the actual playoff match-ups.  The other, is the teams that didn't make it this year.  Because there are currently 15 teams in the West, I made Calgary (who finished first in the west) the 16th team in the second scenario.

I also reversed the seedings for each playoff scenario so that you can choose which team you want to play (originally, you could only play as the home team).  It does change the home ice advantage in some scenario but at least you can pick which of the two teams you want to control.  So if you downloaded the roster, in the early morning hours, when I uploaded it, it has been updated.

I also discovered, last night, that there is another bug in the game.  Playoff seeds 1 & 3 start series on the road.  This is incorrect as they are the higher seeds.  Both should have home ice advantage in round 1 of the playoffs.  So, if you reverse 1 & 8 as well as 3 & 6, the correct (real life higher) seed starts at home.  I checked and this glitch affects mine, Skip's, Naples' and the original 1994 roms.  Just an fyi... maybe, one day, this an be fixed if someone knows how?

As mentioned in the post above, all teams, in my latest rom, now have two scoring lines and a checking line or defensive line.  It allows for additional strategy especially in close games that have line changes on. 

Enjoy!

Edited by The Sauce

Sorry bud, I would've told you if I thought you didn't know about this one! The bottom team is always home, so you have to make the #1 team on bottom (best division on bottom, too). I forget which side has home ice in the Final. I need to look that up again before I post mine haha.

10 hours ago, skip said:

Sorry bud, I would've told you if I thought you didn't know about this one! The bottom team is always home, so you have to make the #1 team on bottom (best division on bottom, too). I forget which side has home ice in the Final. I need to look that up again before I post mine haha.

No worries... I didn't know but now I do moving forward.  Thanks @skip!

I made the updates, to v5, to mirror how you did your structure in your 2018 playoff rom.  I just re-uploaded the file.  I apologize to anyone who downloaded it already.  As it has now been updated, feel free to do so again.  :)

Feedback, as always, is welcome!

Edited by The Sauce

You did a wonderful job with this rom @The Sauce . I downloaded your latest version 5 the other day and I am having a blast playing matches. Gameplay seems really balanced, the speed seems just right and I read what you said about what you did to line changes making them more accurate to the current season and making line changes more strategic. I play with Line Changes On in very long matches, like 20 minute periods with a real-time clock and with the one-timers OFF code and I have noticed that every line feels different and I don't know how you did this but matches against the CPU really do feel more strategic. It's something to do with how you balanced the ratings and adjusted the speed of players. You can skate around CPU defenders but at the same time the CPU team can swiftly launch counter attacks so it has a good balance of being fun to play and being challenging in games vs the CPU.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brodeur30 said:

You did a wonderful job with this rom @The Sauce . I downloaded your latest version 5 the other day and I am having a blast playing matches. Gameplay seems really balanced, the speed seems just right and I read what you said about what you did to line changes making them more accurate to the current season and making line changes more strategic. I play with Line Changes On in very long matches, like 20 minute periods with a real-time clock and with the one-timers OFF code and I have noticed that every line feels different and I don't know how you did this but matches against the CPU really do feel more strategic. It's something to do with how you balanced the ratings and adjusted the speed of players. You can skate around CPU defenders but at the same time the CPU team can swiftly launch counter attacks so it has a good balance of being fun to play and being challenging in games vs the CPU.

Thanks @Brodeur30!  I appreciate the kind words and positive feedback!

Putting this rom together was a lot of trial and error.  Each of the five versions evolved into what it is now.  Every time I played against the CPU or friends, I started to notice things about gameplay or learned more about players (and their attributes) and decided to test some theories.  I try to keep the game somewhat true to original but with some tweaks here and there.  More of a “dial back here” or “enhance there” kind of trial and error.

As for strategy, I appreciate your appreciation for it.  It didn’t want to have just a North/South or “bang-bang” style of play.  I wanted the user to have some sort of counter play.  The 3v3 version, that I just posted, is more the style of the former vs latter.

Again, thanks for the kind words.  I’m glad to read that you are enjoying it.  Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I am new here. GREAT rom! I'm having an issue on a Retropie where after I complete a game in a 7-game playoff series and it shows the playoff tree when the game is over you push start abd it sends you back to the main setup screen, which is normal but thers is an exception. It shows the two teams as the Ducks vs. The Ducks and if I push start to "continue 7-game playoff" it starts the series over with an all new tree and makes me Pittsburgh regardless of who I played ths first game as. Additionally, I've noticed when I'm sent back to the main setup screen and it shows Ducks vs. Ducks, if I scroll left or right to select  different game type, I no longer even have the option to continue the series. Anyone else had this problem? I've tried versions 3 and 5 and had the same thing.

I am unfortunately having some issues with downloading the game as it keeps wanting to download with a VLC Media Player. Everything else I've tried downloading it with has failed. What would you recommend I install to my pc to help with the download?

7 minutes ago, Tooters14 said:

I am unfortunately having some issues with downloading the game as it keeps wanting to download with a VLC Media Player. Everything else I've tried downloading it with has failed. What would you recommend I install to my pc to help with the download?

Right-click -> Save As

You will need a special program to play the game file. It's not a program on its own, it's just the raw game data like on the original cartridge.

To play it, follow these instructions: http://nhl94online.com/html/getting-started.php

• Like 1