NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2019 Season ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

46 minutes ago, Jkline3 said:

I appreciate the thought put into the goalie ratings.  I've been guilty of oversimplifying at times into "good goalie", "average goalie" and "bad goalie" because the effects of the ratings haven't been documented and discussed nearly as well as those for the skaters.

I more of less do the same.  Like you say, it's tricky to edit a goalie as the attribute effects are not widely known and there aren't as many options to rate like a forward or D.  Certainly not like we can with today's EA hockey games or the now defunct 2K series.  I guess there's no need to edit the 5 hole, glove/blocker and/or left/right pad attributes if we can't aim where we want the puck to go via a shot.

I also have a tier structure that I work with... 82, 77, 72, 67, 62, 57, 52, 47 & 42.  I don't go beyond 82 because I feel goalies in the 90s become too super human.  The problem I have is, we can't rate goalies like forwards or D in the sense that there are no elite goalies anymore - I don't care what anyone says, there isn't.  That era ended with Hasek, Roy and Brodeur and to a lesser extent, Lundqvist and Luongo who are now in decline.  Guys like Price or Bobrovsky or Rinne can be elite for a season or two and the very next season, be average or even suck!  There just isn't any superstar consistency in that position anymore.  You can list out the top 20 players in the NHL and how many would include a goalie these days?  That said, I use the tiers which have OVR separated by a value of 5 so that I can easily slide a guy up or down the values based on how they are trending over a 3 year range.  I don't get too worked up about it as there isn't much difference between a 72 and a 77.  I'll likely re-evaluate the position, and rating it, in the offseason.

Edited by The Sauce

1 hour ago, The Sauce said:

I more of less do the same.  Like you say, it's tricky to edit a goalie as the attribute effects are not widely known and there aren't as many options to rate like a forward or D.  Certainly not like we can with today's EA hockey games or the now defunct 2K series.  I guess there's no need to edit the 5 hole, glove/blocker and/or left/right pad attributes if we can't aim where we want the puck to go via a shot.

I also have a tier structure that I work with... 82, 77, 72, 67, 62, 57, 52, 47 & 42.  I don't go beyond 82 because I feel goalies in the 90s become too super human.  The problem I have is, we can't rate goalies like forwards or D in the sense that there are no elite goalies anymore - I don't care what anyone says, there isn't.  That era ended with Hasek, Roy and Brodeur and to a lesser extent, Lundqvist and Luongo who are now in decline.  Guys like Price or Bobrovsky or Rinne can be elite for a season or two and the very next season, be average or even suck!  There just isn't any superstar consistency in that position anymore.  You can list out the top 20 players in the NHL and how many would include a goalie these days?  That said, I use the tiers which have OVR separated by a value of 5 so that I can easily slide a guy up or down the values based on how they are trending over a 3 year range.  I don't get too worked up about it as there isn't much difference between a 72 and a 77.  I'll likely re-evaluate the position, and rating it, in the offseason.

I really like your methodology with the goalies and feel they respond realistically in your ROM.  For the most part, they don't wander out of the net unless they can safely play a puck.  My sampling size is small so far - about 12 games - but the games have produced sim-like experiences with scores to match.  I completely agree there are no superstar goalies anymore and appreciate the absence of any 'Goalie Gods' who are akin to a brick wall no matter what you do.  Every season seems to have their strong performers, including out-of-nowhere candidates like Robin Lehner, which is just a great story for athletes in general.  My biggest gripe in hockey video games are the "cheap" goals, which do happen in the NHL but with unrealistic frequency in the video games.  I think keeping the goalies close to their net is a credit to addressing this, so fine work on your end.  Really appreciate your thought process and desire for realism.

I had one game where I took 5 penalties in the first period and injured two players.  I attributed this to me being an aggressive checker and wonder if maybe I should utilize the poke check more often?  Guys do get leveled in the NHL, but I doubt with the frequency I dish out.  I've just utilized the check option because it's there but ultimately I'm looking to mirror as close to the NHL as possible.

Edited by Iceisles

5 minutes ago, Iceisles said:

I really like your methodology with the goalies and feel they respond realistically in your ROM.  For the most part, they don't wander out of the net unless they can safely play a puck.  My sampling size is small so far - about 12 games - but the games have produced sim-like experiences with scores to match.  I completely agree there are no superstar goalies anymore and appreciate the absence of any 'Goalie Gods' who are akin to a brick wall no matter what you do.  Every season seems to have their strong performers, including out-of-nowhere candidates like Robin Lehner, which is just a great story for athletes in general.  My biggest gripe in hockey video games are the "cheap" goals, which do happen in the NHL but with unrealistic frequency in the video games.  I think keeping the goalies close to their net is a credit to this, so fine work on your end.  Really appreciate your thought process and desire for realism.

I had one game where I took 5 penalties in the first period and injured two players.  I attributed this to me being an aggressive checker and wonder if maybe I should utilize the poke check more often?  Guys do get leveled in the NHL, but I doubt with the frequency I dish out.  I've just utilized the check option because it's there but ultimately I'm looking to mirror as close to the NHL as possible.

To your point, you will always see a higher amount of checks or shots if you control the team.  I mean, who hasn't had a period where you focused more on trying to kill other players than score goals?  That said, I had a sim league with some friends, and use simming to better understand the CPU side, and noticed improvement in that environment.

Your mention of Lehner also reinforces why it is difficult to rate goalies.  The dude, in theory, should be ranked a 90 with his current stats.  As should David Rittich.  But, are either really what you would think of when we discuss someone rated a 90?  Heck no.  It's another reason why I rate on a 3 year average with the occasional concession here and there.  NHL.com allows you to see stats over a select amount of years.  I helps you better understand why rating a guy like Lehner so high isn't realistic to me (IMO).  Afterall, would he be a 90 on other teams?

6 minutes ago, The Sauce said:

To your point, you will always see a higher amount of checks or shots if you control the team.  I mean, who hasn't had a period where you focused more on trying to kill other players than score goals?  That said, I had a sim league with some friends, and use simming to better understand the CPU side, and noticed improvement in that environment.

Your mention of Lehner also reinforces why it is difficult to rate goalies.  The dude, in theory, should be ranked a 90 with his current stats.  As should David Rittich.  But, are either really what you would think of when we discuss someone rated a 90?  Heck no.  It's another reason why I rate on a 3 year average with the occasional concession here and there.  NHL.com allows you to see stats over a select amount of years.  I helps you better understand why rating a guy like Lehner so high isn't realistic to me (IMO).  Afterall, would he be a 90 on other teams?

Lehner's having a great season but I attribute much of that success to Trotz's system and the goaltending coach that came with him.  I'll take Lehner's GAA any day but no, he wouldn't be a 90 on other teams. 

I remember growing up and watching Roy, wondering how anyone could be that good night in and night out.  We don't have that kind of netminder anymore, IMO.

Rather than a "3 year average" maybe use a 3 year weighted average.

Year     Team  GP  GAA   SV%    Wgt  GPxWgt  GAAxGPxWgt  SV%xGPxWgt
2016-17   BUF  59  2.68  0.920    1      59      158.12      54.280
2017-18   BUF  53  3.01  0.908    2     106      319.06      96.248
2018-19   NYI  29  2.02  0.932    3      87      175.74      81.084
TOTAL                                   252      652.92     231.612
WGT AVG                                            2.59       0.919

(plus whatever team-based adjustments might be warranted...)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Rather than a "3 year average" maybe use a 3 year weighted average.

Year     Team  GP  GAA   SV%    Wgt  GPxWgt  GAAxGPxWgt  SV%xGPxWgt
2016-17   BUF  59  2.68  0.920    1      59      158.12      54.280
2017-18   BUF  53  3.01  0.908    2     106      319.06      96.248
2018-19   NYI  29  2.02  0.932    3      87      175.74      81.084
TOTAL                                   252      652.92     231.612
WGT AVG                                            2.59       0.919

(plus whatever team-based adjustments might be warranted...)

Perhaps, I’ll explore it in the off-season.  It’s worth considering.  For now, I’m very satisfied with how I’m doing it but, that doesn’t mean I’m not open to researching more ideas and seeing what the end result may be.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Tabs3121 said:

Is there going to be a Trade deadline update?

Yes.  Tomorrow evening.

I have it up to date now and will continue through the 3pm deadline tomorrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tabs3121 said:

Can't wait! Thanks for all your hard work all season

My pleasure.  It's gonna be live tonight.  I'm just doing some finishing touches on it now and double checking a few things. 

Trade Deadline Edition added to original post (v4).  I didn't focus on lines/d pairings to any great degree as it's too early to know certain new combos.  I also left several injured players in to make it more fun to play.  I was able to update the majority of new jersey numbers.  A few haven't been confirmed yet so I went with "best guess".

If anyone notices any errors or whatnot, please let me know.

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Sauce said:

Trade Deadline Edition added to original post (v4).  I didn't focus on lines/d pairings to any great degree as it's too early to know certain new combos.  I also left several injured players in to make it more fun to play.  I was able to update the majority of new jersey numbers.  A few haven't been confirmed yet so I went with "best guess".

If anyone notices any errors or whatnot, please let me know.

Cheers!

Exciting news, thank you! 

On 2/5/2019 at 2:58 PM, The Sauce said:

I found the goalies to be less spastic and remain closer to their net (on average) when I reduced the speed to zero.  It’s not an exact science, and not 100%, but it felt noticeably different for/to me.  Having a good agility is what matters with goalie side to side movement and reflexes.  Perhaps, a zero speed makes them take less risk?  It also seems to keep them away from the trapezoid on average.  Maybe the CPU logic thinks that a goalie shouldn’t come too far out of net, with attackers coming, if their speed is low.  I play manual goalie and haven’t had any issues.  I play sim as well and as noted above, like what I see from the goalies.

The checking, like most of my ratings, are on a per game average over a three year span.  They may be a touch lower than some because I got tired of seeing certain players get 8-10 checks in a five minute period.  It’s not realistic.  Again, not a 100% exact science but I am liking the results compared to how I started last season.

I have now been playing my historic roms, with all goalies edited to zero speed and the checking turned way down.

These have made huge improvements to them.  Goalies are awesome with speed set to zero.  GIGANTIC Find.  Thanks @The Sauce

I will post updated versions soon.  Plus I have added some custom banners and team logos as well as some other twist.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

I have now been playing my historic roms, with all goalies edited to zero speed and the checking turned way down.

These have made huge improvements to them.  Goalies are awesome with speed set to zero.  GIGANTIC Find.  Thanks @The Sauce

I will post updated versions soon.  Plus I have added some custom banners and team logos as well as some other twist.

Cool!  I'm glad I wasn't imagining it with goalies.  lol

Like yourself, I did notice that by dialing down the checking, per player, that I saw (on average) a better amounts of checks (per player) in a 5 or 7 min period.  It's not perfect but now better in my opinion.  It was done moreso for the guys who don't check a lot (by reputation/stats) vs. a 4th line grinder hitting everything that moves (it's their job).  I don't mind the latter, in that case, as it helps with my strategy when I play/sim with line changes on.

I look forward to your next roster and glad to see you are back at it again!

Edited by The Sauce

45 minutes ago, Iceisles said:

On the eve of Pajama Night at the Coliseum, your screenshot of Tavares lighting the lamp is painful.  :D

LOL.

Your team's record is good without him.  In fact, I don't recall you having this successful a record with him.  Is what it is... embrace the Trotz and life without JT.  

Edited by The Sauce

On 2/25/2019 at 8:40 AM, Iceisles said:

Columbus should be a lot of fun to play against now.  Their GM waves a wand and things happen.

Forget about playing against them.  I want to play other teams as them!  GO BLUE JACKETS!!!

• Like 1

Hey i saw this on the r/ea_nhl reddit and it looks awsome and i wanna try it out. But i have no clue how to play this, Do i just download it or do i have to downloadthe base game then put this in?? Any help is highly appriciated

31 minutes ago, william said:

Hey i saw this on the r/ea_nhl reddit and it looks awsome and i wanna try it out. But i have no clue how to play this, Do i just download it or do i have to downloadthe base game then put this in?? Any help is highly appriciated

Yup.  You just download the BIN file and also download an emulator to play it.  You don’t need the original base game to play it.  I currently use Kega Fusion but also used Gens as an emulator.  Both are easy to find.  

To answer your other question, yes, it is PC friendly.  I edit and play it using a PC.

4 hours ago, william said:

Hi William,

I think this is the easiest way to play the game:

1. Get the game

1. Download the file "NHL94 2019 v4.bin" from the first post

2. Get an emulator

1. Go to http://nhl94online.com
  2. In the bottom-right of the page, download the file labeled "Gens Package (Emulators, New and Old Kaillera DLLs, ROMs, Files for Recording Games)". It's a zip file archive.
  3. Navigate to the folder where the file was downloaded on your computer (probably the Downloads folder)
  4. Right-click on the file and select "Extract" and follow the instructions that come up
  5. Now go into the extracted folder "Gens_214"
  6. Run the "Gens" program from inside that folder. You should get a window with oldschool TV "static" on it

3. Run the game

1. In the Gens window, go to File -> Open ROM
  2. Navigate to where you downloaded the game file, select it and click open
  3. Boom! The game is running

4. Configure your controller

1. I think the default controls are the arrow keys, ZXC(keyboard) = ABC(game controller), Enter = Start button
  2. To change the controls, click Options -> Joypads 
  3. Click the buttons for the keys you want to remap
  4. If you have a game controller connected to your computer, you can use that instead of the keyboard.

Let me know if there's any problem!

Once you've got that figured out, there's more stuff you can do if you want to play the game online against other people, or even make your own edits to the game.

Note that the original NHL94 game (nhl94.bin) is also in the zip package

Here is a more in-depth guide: 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, captaincoin said:

Hey The Sauce,

Yooo you make my day today, but tell me ....this ROM can be play on mini super nintendo console??

I have the emulator installed already for genesis and snes9x on it ?

Thanks for the kind words!  This rom is for Genesis, not Super Nintendo, so I don't know of any way you could play it on that console. 

If you have a Genesis game emulator, you will be good to go.  @smozoma was kind enough (above) to put together some steps (soup to nuts) for folks to download this rom and play it (for anyone who is new to it).

V5 will be the final version of the 2019 season rom and will include the real-life NHL playoff bracket.  It will likely include some additonal rookies as well.  I will be releasing it at the end of the season (just like last year).

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce

23 hours ago, captaincoin said:

Ohh nice nice...

Ill try to see if it work for genesis game emulator...  I got inside of my mini snes the RetroArch option too so ill test it later on.....

Ill post it a update.

I play on the SNES Mini.  Just use the Genesis Plus GX core through Retroarch.  Plays perfectly with the exception of the Washington/Winnipeg Freeze Bug (just choose these teams before the player cards begin to cycle).

Edited by Iceisles

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Iceisles said:

I was surprised to see Tampa Bay's team rating is only 75.  With the season they've had, I was expecting 90+. 

Much like NHL94, I rate teams between 55-75 (although I think they go as low as 50).  In the 1994 version, Boston was the highest with a 76.  I follow the blueprint of the OG.  A 90 makes them too superhuman.  The OG uses it for the All-Star teams.

I start the season with three possible team rankings and as the season goes on, it increases to 4 and then 5 based on standings.  I do it this way because teams move up and down the standings all of the time.  As I do five rom updates per season, I'd rather not try and figure out what number they should be - 74 vs 75 vs 76, etc.  So, I have 5 spots and determine which team should occupy which spot at that time of the season.  Plus, it's not like a team will go from a 60 to a 75 overnight.  #MethodToMyMadness

Edited by The Sauce