NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2019 by naples39

naples39

Okay, maybe old news by now, but here's a THIRD NHL 2019 rom for the community.

All the usuals:
-Updated lineups from opening day (best case scenario lineup, with injured players and holdouts in lineup)
-Updated uniforms with sprite hack
-Player portraits for all NLC starters
-Updated center ice logos per frozenfaceoff
-Weight bug fix, reduced speed burst effect, smoz 3 star formula

Perhaps what separates this rom from others is that I really try to maintain the player ratings spread from the original rom. That means 3rd line players rated in the 60s, 4th liners in the 50s. Any defensemen that breaks 60 OVR is a solid defenseman (the average dman OVR rating in the original rom is about 50). See for yourself:

Comments and corrections are appreciated!

EDIT: Quick re-up with some goalie fixes and updates

NHL 2019 by naples39.bin

NHL 2019 1.1 by naples39.bin

Edited by naples39
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kiba said:

Is there excel sheet for stats available?

I didn't make one, but I believe there is a roster exporter to excel tool somewhere on these forums.

10 hours ago, Blake said:

Finally it's here! I have a question though: What do you use to decide ratings? I know it isn't an easy task.

I consider a lot of different sources. Partially just my impression from being an avid hockey fan, but I really rely on individual player scouting reports from http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/players

When I dive deep into a player I'll look at their advanced stats or look at their charts on hockeyviz (which I am subscribed to). A lot of time points totals dictate a guys offensive awareness rating, goal totals and shooting accuracy drive shooting ratings, I have ballpark overalls I target as to how it should all add up.

For instance:

Forwards:
90+ -- MVP contender
80+ -- Solid all star
75+ -- standout player
70-75 -- first or second liner
65-70 -- second, maybe third liner
60-65 -- 3/4th liner
60 or lower -- 4th liner or fringer NHLer

Defense:
80+ -- elite
70+ -- solid all star
65+ -- very good
60-65 -- solid but not spectacular
54-60 -- average
50-54 -- below average
50 or lower -- bottom of the lineup guy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey man. I want to start off by saying that this is my absolute version of the yearly NHL 94 rom - I greatly appreciate the fact that you continue to push out a new release every year - the amount of hard work you put in is extremely evident. 

Do you anticipate putting out any more updates to this rom this year? I wasn't sure if I was the only one, but I've noticed more freezing/crashing menu problems than compared to previous years and I was hoping there was still a chance those might be fixed. If not, I am not complaining, thanks again for all the great work you do! 

-Sean

On 12/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, dwyersp said:

Hey man. I want to start off by saying that this is my absolute version of the yearly NHL 94 rom - I greatly appreciate the fact that you continue to push out a new release every year - the amount of hard work you put in is extremely evident. 

Do you anticipate putting out any more updates to this rom this year? I wasn't sure if I was the only one, but I've noticed more freezing/crashing menu problems than compared to previous years and I was hoping there was still a chance those might be fixed. If not, I am not complaining, thanks again for all the great work you do! 

-Sean

I'm gonna put out an update in a few days actually!

Unfortunately it won't do anything for freezing/crashing in the menu. That's something with the 32-team ROM that's beyond my expertise. There's a known bug if you cycle through the player cards for one of the last teams it makes the game freeze. It's WPG maybe?

That's fantastic! Well, I've been playing your version of NHL 94 for a few years now, and I like to randomly pick a Playoff match for the purpose of selecting my team & opponent. In the past, I have been able to just hold the arrow key down to cycle through different matchups for as long as I want, but this year, it stops (and freezes) on the Boston (Visitor) Toronto (Home) playoff combination. 

I understand that there's likely nothing you can do, but I didn't think it would hurt to mention it. 

Thanks again!

On 12/4/2018 at 10:01 PM, slapshot67 said:

open nose and add Vancouver to the playoff matchups, that should fix that freeze.

Actually, it looks like I found a fix: I just copied and pasted the playoff matchups for Naples' 2018 game, seems like it stopped the freezing (now let's just hope I didn't break something else in the meantime!). 

Thanks for the response! 

-Sean

On 12/7/2018 at 2:43 PM, dwyersp said:

Actually, it looks like I found a fix: I just copied and pasted the playoff matchups for Naples' 2018 game, seems like it stopped the freezing (now let's just hope I didn't break something else in the meantime!). 

Thanks for the response! 

-Sean

Yes, if the crashing was just selecting playoffs, that is easily fixed. I forgot about setting those!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, naples.  I pop in and out of here from time to time, and I'll say that per usual, the 19 ROM is awesome!  Your stuff is by far my favorite in the community.  My question is...I recently put together a Rapsberry Pi to run RetroPie (from Christmas gift cards) and I'm working on loading it with all my various ROMs.  Somewhere, awhile ago, I remember coming across a .zip file with all of your retro stuff on it (ROMs from various years in the 80s and 90s).  I briefly searched around and couldn't find it.  Do you know where I can find all of your old school ROMs, so I can put them on my Pi?  Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I'm an idiot.  I found them.  

PS: With the Pens playing in the Stadium Series, what are the odds I can talk you into making another "Outdoor " ROM this year, once the jerseys are unveiled? ;)

Edited by brianski71

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 4:05 PM, brianski71 said:

PS: With the Pens playing in the Stadium Series, what are the odds I can talk you into making another "Outdoor " ROM this year, once the jerseys are unveiled? ;)

Possible. It's just takes a few minutes to change a few jerseys.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2019 at 11:46 PM, naples39 said:

Possible. It's just takes a few minutes to change a few jerseys.

I'd love to see it!  I'm terrible at editing jerseys and have no clue how to update the center ice logos.  Not to pressure you at all or try make special requests or anything, but it'd be super cool to have an outdoor version with the different team logos from the Winter Classic and Stadium Series games, too! 

But my real reason for checking in was...is there a "Deadline 19" ROM on the horizon?  I can't wait for it!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 12:05 AM, brianski71 said:

I'd love to see it!  I'm terrible at editing jerseys and have no clue how to update the center ice logos.  Not to pressure you at all or try make special requests or anything, but it'd be super cool to have an outdoor version with the different team logos from the Winter Classic and Stadium Series games, too! 

But my real reason for checking in was...is there a "Deadline 19" ROM on the horizon?  I can't wait for it!!

Yes, but my house is under construction and I've been basically living out of a suitcase for the last month. It will be done but I don't know when.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 11:18 PM, Redrussian said:

How do we edit the stats

You have to use NOSE editing program. There are a few quirks for using it with the new 32-team ROM, but once set up it's basically like editing a spreadsheet. Find it on the site or the forums.

21 hours ago, naples39 said:

You have to use NOSE editing program. There are a few quirks for using it with the new 32-team ROM, but once set up it's basically like editing a spreadsheet. Find it on the site or the forums.

What about normal hex editor? I use HXD for easytech mods can work?

16 minutes ago, Redrussian said:

What about normal hex editor? I use HXD for easytech mods can work?

Yes if you want to just change player attributes you can use a hex editor. The attributes follow the player's name. Goes something like number, weight 0-F, agility 0-6, speed 0-6 etc.

The NOSE editor is pretty amazing, though, so check it out.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, dwyersp said:

Thanks for the response! 

-Sean

Can you post the fixed ROM ? ...Or at least post the diff ?

diff <(xxd 'NHL 2019 1.1 by naples39.bin') <(xxd 'NHL 2019 1.2 by naples39.bin')

...the above line obviously only works on Linux (possibly Mac), or Git for Windows (msys2 or cygwin)... and that particular example has the version number incremented after the change.