NHL'94 Forums

2018 Classic Fall League

chaos

Hi Everyone,

Originally, I wanted to start registration today, but I'm pushing this off until this Friday, October 19th. In turn, I will be extending registration until Friday, November 9th.

The reason for a 3 week registration period is 2 main points:

- King of 94 is the last weekend of October, and I would like to give those newcomers playing in the tournament a chance to join the league.

- We are moving away from Gens/ZSNES emulators, and going with the RetroArch frontend with Genesis Plus GX and SNES9x as the cores for Genesis and SNES. Instead of using the emulator/Hamachi combination, we will be going with RetroArch + core + netplay server. Netplay is very easy to setup and this setup eliminates the desync issues that have plagued poor connections in the past. The 3 weeks will allow some time to for everyone to become familiar with using the new combination.

As of right now, the Genesis Plus GX core requires that both players use the same platform (Windows vs. Windows, or Mac vs. Mac) for Netplay. All people who play Genesis online have Windows PCs, so no change here. Hopefully in the future, it will allow for cross-platform play. Also, the Genesis Plus GX core has way more accurate emulation than Gens, and feels more like the real hardware.

The SNES9x core allows for cross-platform play too(Mac vs. Windows), so any combination will work. This has been tested.

Uploading games will be the same procedure, so no change there. 

The most confusing thing about setup will be controller configuration. I'm trying to write a program that can help in this aspect. But, many people will not have an issue; RetroArch comes with preset controller configurations (autoconfig) for many popular controllers. So this step can be skipped in most cases. If you have a controller that it doesn't recognize, the controller will have to be configured one time, then it can be saved. RetroArch uses a "universal" controller, with a layout like an SNES controller. So SNES users will have no problem setting up the controller, but for Genesis it could be slightly confusing, as the button map is not how you would assume it to be. 

I will be uploading packages that can be used to install RetroArch on nhl94online.com later this week, and they can be accessed from the main page. The package will include RetroArch, the ROMs for classic, a customized config file to eliminate the need to setup some hotkeys, and the cores. There will be separate packages for Mac and Windows. Stay tuned for more info!

Check these threads out for some info on how to set up: 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Hey Chaos,
to be clear: We are no longer allowed to use Gens/Kaillera at all, to submit league games?

For the time being, yes you will be able to. But I hope to phase it out eventually.

Thanks Chaos for the info on how to get set up. Sounds like it should work well for SNES. I know myself and Hali use Mac so I'm glad to hear it works fine.

I'll try to get set up sometime this week.

I will urge the other SNES buds and especially the bud @annatar to get set up so we can get gaming.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GoTitans21 said:

Hi, I'm wanting to play this season, so will signups be in this forum or what? Thanks.

Signups will open any day, so keep checking back. (The league will start in November, so there is plenty of time.)

You actually register on http://nhl94online.com but registration hasn't opened yet, so we can't share a link yet.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:23 PM, GoTitans21 said:

Hi, I'm wanting to play this season, so will signups be in this forum or what? Thanks.

Sorry @GoTitans21 bud, 

The site should be open for business sometime tomorrow. I had an issue with the updated snes9x core; it wasn't working with the ROM we usually use. Turns out the ROM we use is corrupt, but still ran in ZSNES (and older snes9x cores), so I found a clean ROM and it works now. I'm just trying to make sure we have minimal issues with setup during the registration period. I got everything working now, so I just need to finish the write-up. I will post the link on the forums when registration is ready.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jackandjose said:

Did this get answered?

I think he was joking.

I would like to see it used in all leagues eventually. It is in active development and they are adding lots of new features (one of them will be joining a game straight from Discord)

On 11/4/2018 at 1:29 AM, chaos said:

I would like to see it used in all leagues eventually. It is in active development and they are adding lots of new features (one of them will be joining a game straight from Discord)

Wow, that's cool

3 hours ago, jer_33 said:

@kingraph still needs to sign-up. @CoachMac too.

I'd like to test both GENS/SNES on Retroarch - if it's simple enough, I would consider signing up for both systems.

It would be great if you joined our humble little SNES league. The more, the merrier!

5 hours ago, jer_33 said:

@kingraph still needs to sign-up. @CoachMac too.

I'd like to test both GENS/SNES on Retroarch - if it's simple enough, I would consider signing up for both systems.

It's very simple. Same setup, the package you downloaded has both genesis and snes rom and cores. So you only need the one setup.

It's good to see some more cross system interest and I hope that once we get all the kinks worked out with Retroarch that we'll see some bleed between the two systems. All one platform is a great thing.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dethrox said:

Is there a place to post preffered teams? Whats the update on this league?

I'm not sure why the front page says Nov.12 as end of registration, it should say yesterday, Nov. 18. 

Information about the draft will be posted within the next day.

I might wait to start the draft until Friday or Saturday because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaos said:

Information about the draft will be posted within the next day.

I might wait to start the draft until Friday or Saturday because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

People have been waiting a long time.  Don't see the harm in doing a "soft" start sooner, and if it gets stalled, no biggie. (Besides, some of us have *more* time during Thanksgiving.) (Just a thought. Not trying to complicate stuff.) :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aqualizard said:

People have been waiting a long time.  Don't see the harm in doing a "soft" start sooner, and if it gets stalled, no biggie. (Besides, some of us have *more* time during Thanksgiving.) (Just a thought. Not trying to complicate stuff.) :)

Good point. Maybe we can start it Wednesday.

• Like 2

I know I've signed up for GENS, can you also mark me down for SNES (preferrably in a 'B' league, unless you are running it as one league).

Edited by jer_33
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chaos said:

Leagues and Draft Order will be posted later today. I won't start pick deadlines until Friday night. But once it's posted, the draft will start.

Looking like Thanksgiving special now

• Like 1