NHL'94 Forums

Et Tu Bruce Deuce: Official ROM

kingraph

Here is the official season 02 ROM: Et_Tu_Brute_S02_v2.bin

Included hacks:

• Blitz Style (weight bug fixed w/checking factor)
  • Ratings accurately display hot/cold boosts
  • 45 second penalties (time will show 1 minute, but run 45 seconds of game clock time)
  • 1 minute penalties!
  • Home/Away Advantages set to minimal/equal
  • 17 sexy teams
  • Music matched to teams (San Jose has jaws, Hartford has the Brass Bonanza, etc)
  • Graphic hacks
    • Stephane Richer (season 01 Art Ross winner) on the title screen!
    • Et Tu Brute Bubble Title and Game Clock!
    • Coors Light Sponsor!
    • New Team Banner Style!
    • Commissioner @Brutus as the announcer!
    • All 187 player card portaits included!

Et_Tu_Brute_S02_000.png
Et_Tu_Brute_S02_001.png
Et_Tu_Brute_S02_003.png
Et_Tu_Brute_S02_004.png
Et_Tu_Brute_S02_005.png
Et_Tu_Brute_S02_006.png
Et_Tu_Brute_S02_007.png

HAPPY '94'ing!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Thank you for the rom Raph, everything look great.

Just an aside, I think the 45 second penalties are throwing off some of the timing stats like TOI and Attack Zone. Attack Zone looks very inflated and through 4 games Rob Blake is averaging 15:00 TOI despite having 2 penalties taken and no overtime being played. I killed both penalties so theres no way he should be at 15:00. Not sure if thats an unavoidable bug but just thought I'd throw it out there for info sake.

So my initial guess is the PP clock speed that I changed also drives the other clock counters (hidden TOI clock and Attack Zone clock).  I think @chaos may max out TOI at 15 minutes unless it went to OT on the game display?  Or is that the actual value in the savestate?  

Either way, to re-calibrate the attack zone, you have to reduce it by 25%.

I will (time permitting) confirm this by running a RAM search on the attack zone clock to confirm that it's probably pulling from that value that I changed. 

1 hour ago, kingraph said:

I will (time permitting) confirm this by running a RAM search on the attack zone clock to confirm that it's probably pulling from that value that I changed. 

Hmm... all your effort on these ROMs is amazing and appreciated. :)

That said, seems easiest just to make Penalties 1:00.  It is only 15 sec difference, after all.

1 minute ago, aqualizard said:

Hmm... all your effort on these ROMs is amazing and appreciated. :)

That said, seems easiest just to make Penalties 1:00.  It is only 15 sec difference, after all.

Yep, definitely the easier route, but still interesting to find this.  I still think there can be an option to actually make the clock 45 seconds as well.

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

So my initial guess is the PP clock speed that I changed also drives the other clock counters (hidden TOI clock and Attack Zone clock).  I think @chaos may max out TOI at 15 minutes unless it went to OT on the game display?  Or is that the actual value in the savestate?  

Just set it back to 1 min. I'm not doing all these calculations for approx. 5 sec of actual game play lol.

TOI is taken from the ROM. The only thing I do is usually remove 2 sec from the TOI since guys will usually finish with 15:02 in a regulation game. I remember @smozoma mentioning it is not exact. I'd have to check again what I exactly do, but the value is read from the ROM.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chaos said:

Just set it back to 1 min. I'm not doing all these calculations for approx. 5 sec of actual game play lol.

TOI is taken from the ROM. The only thing I do is usually remove 2 sec from the TOI since guys will usually finish with 15:02 in a regulation game. I remember @smozoma mentioning it is not exact. I'd have to check again what I exactly do, but the value is read from the ROM.

I remember that the TOI throughout a game "drifted" and was rarely 100% accurate, such that I needed to add a fudge factor multiplier for Blitz to normalize it to the known length of the game (15m + when an OT goal was scored). I didn't understand why it would vary like that, so now it makes a little sense that it's because it's using different internal clocks to generate the TOI...

• Like 1

Better to have TOI OFF for stats than to NOT have 45 second penalties, IMO.

I really like the feel of the 45 second penalty over the 1 min, ESPECIALLY when you get 2 in the box.

The 2 minute penalty is brutal, and the NO penalty from Plablegs is still my favorite, but I have found this 45 second one to be my second favorite, EVEN if TOI is an errant stat now.

AND AND AND, love the work Raph puts in to his ROMS.  I think he loves doing it, or I doubt he would, but still KUDOS bud.  You are all right in my book, even if I aggravate you when i use ALL CAPS middle of my sentences :)

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2018 at 7:29 PM, smozoma said:

I remember that the TOI throughout a game "drifted" and was rarely 100% accurate, such that I needed to add a fudge factor multiplier for Blitz to normalize it to the known length of the game (15m + when an OT goal was scored). I didn't understand why it would vary like that, so now it makes a little sense that it's because it's using different internal clocks to generate the TOI...

I don't think I've ever seen it off by more than 3 seconds.

Oh I just remembered too. If it is over 15 min (or period length * 3) for a regulation game, I make it 15:00. So more than likely, everyone with a 15:00 TOI average, the average is actually above that, I just adjust it to 15:00. I'd have to look in the Save state data to see what the values are really ending up as. (not true)

On 10/17/2018 at 9:11 PM, Brutus said:

Better to have TOI OFF for stats than to NOT have 45 second penalties, IMO.

I really like the feel of the 45 second penalty over the 1 min, ESPECIALLY when you get 2 in the box.

The 2 minute penalty is brutal, and the NO penalty from Plablegs is still my favorite, but I have found this 45 second one to be my second favorite, EVEN if TOI is an errant stat now.

AND AND AND, love the work Raph puts in to his ROMS.  I think he loves doing it, or I doubt he would, but still KUDOS bud.  You are all right in my book, even if I aggravate you when i use ALL CAPS middle of my sentences :)

TOI is used to accurately calculate GAA. So if the TOI is off, GAA for goalies will be off as well.

10 minutes ago, Brutus said:

Wait, TOI is used to calculate GAA for goalies, but goalies aren't in the penalty box EVER, so their TOI should never be off on this ROM.

Am I wrong? 

When you swap goalies (or pull the goalie at the end of the game or automatically for a penalty). Before the discovery of TOI, if two goalies faced shots in a game, I used to estimate TOI based on the number of shots each goalie faced (eg if GoalieA faced 8 shots and GoalieB faced 4, then GoalieA played 10 minutes and GoalieB played 5 minutes).

2 minutes ago, smozoma said:

When you swap goalies (or pull the goalie at the end of the game or automatically for a penalty). Before the discovery of TOI, if two goalies faced shots in a game, I used to estimate TOI based on the number of shots each goalie faced (eg if GoalieA faced 8 shots and GoalieB faced 4, then GoalieA played 10 minutes and GoalieB played 5 minutes).

But what I'm asking if TOI for goalies can every be off based on the issue we were having with my 45 second penalty request.

Goalies are not in the penalty box, and that is what seemed to be causing the some players to have their TOI off, no?

5 hours ago, Brutus said:

But what I'm asking if TOI for goalies can every be off based on the issue we were having with my 45 second penalty request.

Goalies are not in the penalty box, and that is what seemed to be causing the some players to have their TOI off, no?

No, the issue is this.

TOI is off only for the players who have a penalty. Anytime a player goes to the penalty box, in this rom, their TOI counter is not stopping. So, even if that player served 1 full 45 sec penalty, he's still getting 15:00 TOI. 

Raph originally thought that maybe the timer messed with EVERYONE's TOI. I checked this out by modifying the site code, and this was incorrect. So goalie GAA is correct, because their TOI is not affected.

Also, it looks like the Attack Zone is being affected as well. The Attack Zone times are ridiculous, averaging around 8 min for some coaches in games, and 6 min their opponents. That's only 1 min the puck is in the neutral zone! So this is obviously incorrect as well.

That's the 2 problems. We should put the counter back to what it was and make penalties 1 min game time. In the meantime, someone needs to do some testing to figure out if there's another way we can set the penalty time to 45 sec., that doesn't mess with the speed of a counter.

TOI is used to get accurate GAA. Plabax complained (among others) a long time ago that GAA was not accurately being calculated because it wasn't using TOI. So I fixed it at that time. It's important, esp with OT games that don't end in a tie.

42 minutes ago, chaos said:

That's the 2 problems. We should put the counter back to what it was and make penalties 1 min game time. In the meantime, someone needs to do some testing to figure out if there's another way we can set the penalty time to 45 sec., that doesn't mess with the speed of a counter.

Yeah man, go with the 1 minute.  As you said way back, we are talking about 5 sec or so of real life time.  You don't have the time for this, pun intended.

14 hours ago, chaos said:

Also, it looks like the Attack Zone is being affected as well. The Attack Zone times are ridiculous, averaging around 8 min for some coaches in games, and 6 min their opponents. That's only 1 min the puck is in the neutral zone! So this is obviously incorrect as well.

Well, if Attack Zones are fucked up, that's a stat that guys do look at to see who had the more "dominant" play, which isn't always reflected in the score.

These are those games where you felt like the puck was bouncing against you, and causing you to lose.  You get to the end of the game, see you out shot your opponent by a decent margin and had dominant time of attack as well, you know you just got the bad breaks.

ANYHOW, figure out if we need a NEW ROM released, before we get too deep into the season.  I PREFER the 45 second penalty feel quite a bit, but I'm not able to fix/edit this, so it's not realistic for me to demand it stay if it's not "right".

@chaos
@kingraph

So, if we could reset the counter we changed to try to fix TOI for guys in the box, and that fixes the Attack Zone issue, but leaves us 45 second penalty, I'd still prefer that, but again, at this stage, if you guys are done "f-ing with it", and just want it set to 1 minute penalty, that's fine.

Let's get whatever is done so we can have the site/ROM fixed heading into Friday night.

9 minutes ago, Brutus said:

So, if we could reset the counter we changed to try to fix TOI for guys in the box, and that fixes the Attack Zone issue, but leaves us 45 second penalty, I'd still prefer that, but again, at this stage, if you guys are done "f-ing with it", and just want it set to 1 minute penalty, that's fine.

Let's get whatever is done so we can have the site/ROM fixed heading into Friday night.

As of right now, fix the counter, it will be 1 min penalty again. All problems fixed (TOI, Attack Zone).

I think we (or someone) needs to do more research on how to set penalties below 1 min, or a value other than a whole number (1,2,3 min etc) before incorporating it into a league rom.

It's your league, if you prefer to leave it as is, it doesn't matter to me. But the stats will be off, and some people do care about that. So ultimately it's your decision on what you would like to do.

Yeah, after chatting a bit with @chaos, it's quite a bit of work to fix this and it's probably best to just keep it at 1 min penalties.  It'll give me a hack to mess with to try for ETB03!

Also, I have not forgotten about @CoachMac's request to remove the C/D/RW/LW from the player star!  It went on hiatus when I went on my vacation.

I need to dedicate some time to get back into code hacking.  It's not something you can pick up and continue...takes a while to get warmed up.  Like cars in the 80's.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brutus said:

Ok, since we are going to 1 minute penalties, we need a new ROM and site set to take uploads on that ROM, no?

Nah just the new ROM, site doesn't give a crap, it takes whatever you give it

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, kingraph said:

That's interesting that you found those stats are affected by changing the PP clock speed code. It seems that you were trying to fine tune the power play time by using that code and speeding it up from 1 minute to make it really 45 seconds. I've been playing on the real-time game clock and the real time PP clock speed (3C value I think) for a while now. Believe it or not, I use 2 minute penalties real-time but I have a game genie code that speeds up the power play clock so if penalties start to pile up and if power plays start getting excessive I can just end penalties real quick by running a game genie code.

In some games you only get a penalty once in a while and 2 minutes real time penalties are not a problem. But I know what can happen if penalties just start piling up and you will be inclined to reduce penalties to 1 minute. I will definitely check my Attack Zone stats to see if those numbers look right while playing with a real-time game clock and the real time PP clock.