NHL'94 Forums

Game of Thrones ROM

Sauce

9 House Teams…

The White Walkers…

The Westeros Hockey League…

A Battle for the Cup Iron Throne has begun!

WINTER IS HERE!!!

I am attaching my Game of Thrones themed ROM.   

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS THE SHOW OR PROVIDE ANY SPOILERS! 
While many of us have watched all 7 seasons, so far, some may still be binge watching.  Please don’t ruin it for them.  We all know there are a few surprise twists by the end of season 7.  One of them, is in this ROM.  That said, if you haven’t completed season 7, and you are still watching, I do not recommend downloading this until you are done.  One spoiler is within the game.

Some ROM details:

• It contains the 9 major Houses plus the White Walkers as playable teams.  As a bonus, I also threw in an 11th team that contains NHL Hall of Famers (the best of the best).  Teams 12-32 are not playable.  They are simply team #11 repeated/copied as placeholder.

• The playoff structure is set-up so the winner of the Houses squares off against the White Walkers for the Iron Throne.  Because there are 9 houses, but only 8 can appear on the right/left brackets (see screenshot below), I programmed it to rotate every house out of at least one playoff scenario.  So, in turn, no one is truly left out.

• All players, who are not White Walkers, are named by [Last Name], [First Name].  So, for example:

Lannister, Jaime

Lannister, Cersei

Lannister, Tyrion
Etc.

This was done because, when you score a goal, the pop-up window only shows the number and last name of the scorer (and whoever got the assist(s)).  That’s confusing if a team has all of its players with the same last name.  So now, when a goal is scored, the first name appears (with their number).  However, in all other game sections, you should see first and last name listed but in the order structure mentioned above.  Not exactly a big deal (IMO).

• Not every character from the GoT universe is in the game.  I only included those who are part of these major houses (both alive or dead).  I apologize to all you Hodor or Brienne of Tarth fans.  Lol
    Some characters included may not have been in the TV series but, they are in the books.

• As there are several women in the rosters, they are all defaulted to 144 pounds in weight (as we can’t go any lower).

• The team colors are based on their respective house flags/banners.  Those flags/banners serve as the Team Selection &Center Ice logos.  As the White Walkers don't have a banner, I found something that serves as one (a skull with a crown).

Again, please don't not respond in this thread with any details/spoilers regarding Game of Thrones.  Thanks and enjoy!

-The Sauce

Title Page.jpg

Chase For The Iron Throne.jpg

Team Selection Screen.jpg

Tonight's Match Up.jpg

Faceoff.jpg

NHL94 GoT.bin

Edited by The Sauce
Updated rom with Penalty Box Helmet Sprite Fix
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Love that the other conference in the playoffs is just a horde of white walkers

Yeah, that was pretty much the only way to guarantee who you would face for the Throne.  I wish I could have left the left side blank and that it would allow me to do just an 8 team playoff.  Oh well... it works for the best anyway.

Edited by The Sauce

5 minutes ago, skip said:

Awesome stuff man, I always thought about this since there are so many characters to fill out rosters, glad someone got to it!

Thanks!  Yes, you can definitely create a lot of content given the size of the GoT universe.  I left off houses like Frey and Bolton and chose to just focus on the 9 major houses and the shared primary adversary - the White Walkers.

37 minutes ago, The Sauce said:

I wish I could have left the left side blank and that it would allow me to do just an 8 team playoff.

This is fairly easy to do.  I have made 4 and 8 team playoff brackets for my Historic Roms.

Just make a blank blue banner that matches the background of the playoff tree.

I also have no idea what Game of Thrones is......:grimace:

5 minutes ago, The Dopefish said:

You missed a golden opportunity to make a new 16-bit chiptune GoT theme!

Lol... if I knew how, I might have tried... 

I stayed within the realm of what I know how to do and have done for my other roms.

3 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

This is fairly easy to do.  I have made 4 and 8 team playoff brackets for my Historic Roms.

Just make a blank blue banner that matches the background of the playoff tree.

I also have no idea what Game of Thrones is......:grimace:

Cool... I may fiddle around with it and see how it looks.  Thanks for the tip!

So, a couple have people have asked me how I came up with the ratings for these GoT teams.  There really wasn't a rationale.  I'm too lazy to play make believe for what's already make believe.  LOL

In the beginning, as placeholder, I made each team in the image of a team from the original NHL94 (to pay homage, if you will).  When I finished all the graphics and circled back to the ratings, I realized how ridiculous it looked.  I simply tweaked certain players (especially the female characters).  I did so for two reasons:

1.  So that no one would immediately recognize which team, from NHL94, I ripped off.  Although, I guess that's no longer a concern.  LOL
2.  To make certain players a little more life-like than super-hero.  Certain characters just don't look right as superstars based on their personalities/back story.  Others, I felt, could use a little boost given their importance in the story.  Again, no deep thought-out rationale.

Every goalie was edited for ratings (was always my plan) so that there could be, perhaps, more scoring/fun.

So, here is the list of the teams, from NHL94, that "inspired" the GoT teams. 
Note: the only team I did not alter, if I remember correctly, was the White Walkers.  They are rated based on NHL94 skaters from the East and West Allstars teams as I wanted them to be hard to play against.  So, the Night King is Mario Lemieux, for example.  I just made his number 0 instead of 66 to make it less obvious.

House Arryn = Maple Leafs
House Baratheon = Bruins
House Greyjoy = Devils
House Lannister = Flames
House Martel = Red Wings
House Stark = Rangers
House Targareon = Blackhawks
House Tully = Canucks
House Tyrell = Canadiens
White Walkers = Allstars East/West (combo)

As for why I picked those teams as placeholder for the GoT teams, I don't know... it was likely 2:00 in the morning and was tired and couldn't think straight anymore.  LOL

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread for not ruining the show, for those still watching, by posting spoilers and whatnot!  I was nervous that someone may reveal something by mistake. 

If you were to have any questions regarding the rom, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

Edited by The Sauce

• 1 year later...

I know this is pretty much a done nhl 94 hack but i played and experiment around with the NOSE editor and make the whitewalkers player sprites actually look like whitewalkers so they stand out more from the other teams

image.png

image.png

Edited by bushhockeyfan