NHL'94 Forums

Help: Can anyone help making hi-res in-game screenshots?

Evan

Hey guys,

A writer from NHL.com is looking for help making very hi-res images of NHL'94 ingame screenshots for both Gens and Snes.  Can anyone help out on this?  He's looking for them to be 2568x1444 pixels in size.

He emailed me examples but its really just any '94 action shots and such.  Please post an example if you have one!  He needs these ASAP.

Thanks!

-Evan

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Evan said:

Hey guys,

A writer from NHL.com is looking for help making very hi-res images of NHL'94 ingame screenshots for both Gens and Snes.  Can anyone help out on this?  He's looking for them to be 2568x1444 pixels in size.

He emailed me examples but its really just any '94 action shots and such.  Please post an example if you have one!  He needs these ASAP.

Thanks!

-Evan

I'm a little confused, wouldn't you just take a screenshot at the native resolution (256x224 or whatever) and then enlarge it using a nearest-neighbor routine, so it pixelates instead of blurs?

• Like 1

Hey Smoz,

That's probably the idea.  I'd have to start playing around with how to properly blow up a screenshot that big in my minimal free time (I've done it in the past).  I was assuming folks here have done this already and can either provide some screenshots in this topic at the requested resolution, or explain briefly how to resize, crop, and save the image.  He wants them for an article coming out on Sunday on nhl.com.  This is one of the images he provided as an example he wants to blow up (but it can be any interesting game screenshot):

07_pittsburgh_puckdrop.jpg

Thanks,

-Evan

For Gens..

Step 1 is disable the "stretch" option in the emulator

Step 2 use the graphics presets like 2x, 3x, eaglesai3x... Note: eaglesai3x etc will obvoiusly be from an emulator and not the original game. Using the Scanlines setting could make it look a little more retro?

Step 3 Take screenshot (is that an option in the emulators?)

Step 4 Use a graphics program to resize, using Nearest Neighbor setting in order to preserve pixelation.

Although, I kind of feel like we should be able to send them a native resolution image and the NHL.com graphics editor should be able to resize them. We can't provide high-resolution... it's not a modern video game, there is no extra resolution than the original 256x224. I think this is a miscommunication, I bet the writer is used to people providing crappy low-res *photographs* that can't be used in articles, so the writer is asking for high-res...

2 hours ago, Evan said:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

-Evan

That's an odd size. It wont look good in that size. I can take the photos

39 minutes ago, chaos said:

Ask him if this is good. 2568x1967. I can crop it to the height (1444) so it would still look good.

Oh this has the bilinear filter On (in RetroArch). I can take another with it off, though I like the look of this (more retro).

Roenick-Genesis.png

Roenick-Genesis.png.zip

Hm, you're right, the bilinear filter looks fine, looks a little more like it would look on a CRT.

• 2 weeks later...

As predicted, the final images used in the article were resized way down to 768x432. And since they're 16:9 widescreen, as opposed to the original 4:3, they look weird. ;) 

But, great article.