NHL'94 Forums

February 23rd 2019 Edge of 94 WI Presents, Barry Melrose Place(Tecmo Super Bowl February 22nd)

49126029_2204812523094113_53866722623697

Register Here: https://tinyurl.com/2019NHL94

What : NHL 94 tournaments for both Genesis and SNES, preceded by a Tecmo Super Bowl tournament the evening before.

Where : Edge VR Arcade in Green Bay, WI 2642 Packerland Drive Suite 1, Green Bay, WI 54313

When : February 23th, 2019 10AM - conclusion(Tecmo starts 7PM Friday Feb 22nd)

Cost :  The $40($50 if you also want to play Tecmo Friday night) entry fee automatically enters you in both the Genesis and SNES tournaments.(Genesis will precede SNES).  Stand alone Tecmo players will pay $20 for Friday night only.  Payment will be be via Paypal to trojan1979@gmail.com, please use friends and family option to avoid the fees Paypal charges.  Funds will be refunded if notice is given up to 2 weeks preceding the tournament.  Children aged 10 or older may participate with their parent/guardian for only $10 per day.

Format : Group play will precede bracket play, first Genesis, then SNES.  There is an initial 50 player cap for this tournament.    The venue has expended and improved since our 2018 tournament.  Our goal is to have at least 14 systems of each in play, minimizing the wait time in between games.  Group seeding will be based on the official NHL94 rankings as created and maintained by @smozoma  Bracket play will consist of a single elimination best of 3 series.  Higher seed will pick tier and be player 2/home team for game 1 and 3(if needed), lower seed is Player 1 and will be home for game 2.  The number of participants in bracket play will be decided closer to the event as we know how many players will actually be in attendance.

Rules : 5 minute periods, penalties on, no offside, manual goalie.  If it's in the game, it's in the game.  No game mechanics are banned.  Examples are pass shots, CB checks, hail mary shots, goalie interference goals, rebound goals on penalty shots, etc.    A coin flip winner will be the home team(player 1) and call the tier for team selection.  The opposing player is the away team(player 2) and chooses which team they want based on the tier selected.  You may select from within or below the tier specified.  Example: Player 1 selects Tier 2.  That removes DET, BUF, CHI, VAN, MTL from selection in that matchup.  Player 1 chooses CGY, Player 2 selects BOS. There are no restrictions how many times you call a tier or select a team based on the tier selected.

Genesis tiers are as follows and are subject to change based on community feedback(Tiers are currently specified per Angryjay93):

Tier 1: DET, BUF CHI, VAN

Tier 2: MTL, LA, CGY, WPG, BOS

Tier 3: QUE, DAL NYR, TOR

Tier 4: PHI, EDM, WSH, PIT

Tier 5: NJD, STL, HFD, NYI

Tier 6: TB, SJ, OTW, ANH, FLA

SNES Tiers are as follows:Thanks @annatar and @Bob Kudelski

1 - PIT BOS NYR DET

2 - CHI LA BUF CGY WSH

3 - VAN QUE WPG MTL

4 - NJ PHI STL TOR

5 - EDM NYI DAL HFD

6 - ANA FLA OTT SJ TB

Games cannot end in a tie.  A new game must be started in the event of a tie game at the end of overtime.  Intentional time wasting in your own zone is prohibited.  You must attempt tadvancing the puck into the opposing zone whenever possible.  Players caught abusing this may have goals deducted, or in extreme cases the game awarded to the opposing player.  Players are required to take a photo of their score and report to the scorekeeper.  There is a 6 goal deficit mercy rule.  The game is over once a 6 goal difference is reached.  6 goals is the max goal differential counted.  Players are permitted to bring their own OEM or approved 3rd party controllers.  All other equipment is provided by us.  Having equipment on hand from volunteers as spares is always appreciated, but not required.

Payout : 100% of entry funds taken in from child entries will be paid out, 50% to each bracket.  For each $40 entry, $15 goes to the SNES bracket, $15 to the Genesis bracket, the remaining goes to cover expenses.  An approximate 60/30/10 split payout will be for each bracket to 1st/2nd/3rd place. (Tecmo will have a 75% payout to the top 3 places 60/30/10)

Hotel Accommodations :There are multiple locations within 2 minutes driving distance, including one that can be walked to from the venue.  We are working on setting up a group rate and will update this thread when we have it.  We are about 3 minutes from the Airport in Green Bay.

For those wondering where to stay, the Hotel J is a 2 minute walk away from the venue, or a 10 minute crawl if you overindulge.
Hotel J
Address: 2620 S Packerland Dr, Green Bay, WI 54313
Phone: (920) 499-1900

We do recommend you eat your breakfast elsewhere besides Hotel J based on prior participant feedback.

Food and Drink at Venue : It is asked that while you are still in contention for said tournament that you remain on premise.  There is pizza and bottled beer available to order from the Edge VR Arcade, and is priced reasonably.  At this time there are no carry ins permitted unless you have special dietary restrictions(please contact us about those in advance).  If you leave the venue and we have to wait on you, you risk forfeiture of your game(s).

What types of systems are used for this? : All screens used are CRT using analog connections(typically composite), which means no input lag.  All Genesis systems and controllers are OEM, or Gamerztek brand clones.    SNES are a mix of 1st gen, model 2, and NOAC clone units(again mostly Gamerztek).  All controllers are either OEM or Cirka, Hyperkin, or Gamerztek brand clones, which work very well.   You are welcome to use and bring your own OEM controller.

Will this be streamed? : Yes, unless otherwise stated you can follow the action on https://www.twitch.tv.tgfnretro

The Retro Sports Gamer will also be streaming a 2nd station on Youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_b9V5HP0eJZyLuhuEmDf_g?pbjreload=10

Can I dress up in hockey attire? : Yes, you will basically be put in the sin bin if you don't get into character.

How can I help the tournament organizers? : In addition to committing early to attend we ask that you share the existence of this tournament, early and often, on all forms of social media.  Make travel plans early, and lock in so we know you are coming.  Bring new players, and make a weekend of it.

Will there be additional prizes? : In addition to cash prizes, and Lord Manly's Cup, we plan on having many different hockey related prizes for giveaway available.  All entrants will be eligible for some prizes just for being there.  We may hold a raffle to support a cause, but haven't finalized that just yet. 

Edited by Edge of 94' WI
  • Like 2

Hold for Results and signups.  Bold means paid in full. Italics means staff/sponsor and no entry is collected.

Rankings shows Genesis and then Super Nintendo separated by a "/"

Total Player Count : 30

Total funds collected : $1035(rounded up)

Total funds to payout : $776

Genesis tournament $388 approx split 60/30/10 split $233/$116/$40

SNES tournament $388 approx split 60/30/10 $233/$116/$40

Going

Trojan(Organizer)  64/42

Lil Trojan(Son of Organizer) 214/175

Mike Rahn(Titletown Financial) unranked/unranked

Ryan K(won free entry from Michy Benefit) 215/183

Phil Naumann(entry was transferred from Tom Stahnke) unranked/unranked $40

Darik Aho 6/unranked $38.54(PP fee)

EA(Eric Vostal) 8/86 $40

Angryjay93(Also Tecmo) 1/13 $40

PUNKYQB(Chris K) 216/178 $40

DPS 48/unranked $40

Kingraph 2/10 $40

Tyler Votaw 42/166 $40

Green Majik(Also Tecmo) 50/150 $40

Leif Erikson 12/127 $38.xx(PP fee)

Francis Buennegal(Mort) 25/unranked $40

Troy Evers(NMU Fred) 174/176 $40

Timpapi unranked/unranked $40

Graham Tesch(Cash) 167/160 $40

Moe Man(Cash) 207/115 $40

Hank the Tank unranked/unranked $38.25

The Shield 14/164 $40

Tony Nguyen aka Darth Sievious unranked/unranked $40

Steven Dolan(Tony's Nephew) unranked/unranked $40

Ryan Anderson unranked/unranked $40

Adam Boucher unranked/unranked $40

Jack Kim unranked/unranked $40

Ben McDonnell unranked/unranked $40

Ryan Murphy unranked/unranked $40

Charlie Reibsamen unranked/unranked $40

MikeGartner22 23/unranked $40

Edited by Edge of 94' WI

I can vouch that the Hotel J was a quality hotel (and was very reasonably priced to boot), and there is a McD's basically across the parking lot. 

Also, when @Edge of 94' WI says the Edge VR Arcade is a 2 minute walk, I'd say that's pretty generous. It's 2 doors down from the hotel, and would take you longer to drive than to walk.

Was a great tournament last year. Fun group in GB, and Troy is an excellent host.

There, Troy now owes me a beer. 

• Like 2

Seconded on @jer_33's comment.  Hotel J had a pool, friendly staff who even entertained the idea of us using their lounge for a 2v2 setup (ultimately couldn't do it).  Decent price if I remember.  

Lot's of McD's, which is good or bad depending on your preference.  Coffee shop across the street.  Great sports bar too where we hung out afterwards.  

I am considering doing a flight into Chicago, going to Blackhawks Avs game on Friday and then driving up if other buds are down for something like that.  

Or just meet up in GB and play exis all Friday, lol, either way it's great if the '94 buds come to play.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

I can vouch that the Hotel J was a quality hotel (and was very reasonably priced to boot), and there is a McD's basically across the parking lot. 

Also, when @Edge of 94' WI says the Edge VR Arcade is a 2 minute walk, I'd say that's pretty generous. It's 2 doors down from the hotel, and would take you longer to drive than to walk.

Was a great tournament last year. Fun group in GB, and Troy is an excellent host.

There, Troy now owes me a beer. 

Sold bud, they will have a plenty!  Hopefully your friend(sorry can't remember which guy it was) won't get sick again.  I suppose we could add Famous Dave's to the cautionary list, but I think he was the only one that suffered that fate.  Arda and I ran a train on their cuisine the day before without issue.

55 minutes ago, smozoma said:

I think it was the hotel breakfast that was.. suspect..

"I don't think these are real eggs"

Eggs in quotes, legendary.  Now we know AJ's kryptonite.  I fully expect @kingraph to grind up eggshells to put in his beer.

2 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Hotel breakfast was pretty standard. Unless there is a kitchen/dining room attached, the food is prepackaged and reheated in a microwave. 

For those with vehicular transportation, there are much better breakfast options not terribly far away.  One legendary place is known as Pancake Place.  The only kicker is you want to get there very early.

Can't wait to get back to the Edge VR Arcade. Venue was comfortable and the employees were great. While this is still a game I'm a novice at, I'm hoping to be much improved by tourney time. Troy was a great host As always at the Hardcore Tecmo Super Bowl tournament and I'm sure that will continue. If you're on the fence about this I'd recommend giving it a shot. Worst comes to worst they have a pretty good (and reasonably priced) beer selection! Just be ready to grind with some low tier teams if I get to pick teams.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Edge of 94' WI said:

For those with vehicular transportation, there are much better breakfast options not terribly far away.  One legendary place is known as Pancake Place.  The only kicker is you want to get there very early.

As with any great breakfast place just about anywhere you go.  Seems like once word spreads of a great breakfast, especially on the weekends, and a long wait.

• Like 1

Negatives

-The local casuals that are advertised were in my experience often, kids, women, or other people that had little interest in playing but were used to drive marketing.
-The seeding was whacked. 
-Almost all Genesis guys attended yet we spent most (75 percent) of the day playing SNES.
-The World Rankings are also jumbled because of past these past tournaments and the whacked seeding.
-While I feel I drew the a short straw at the Vancouver King of 94, it was completely random and truly just turning out in a pool that was very strong due to unknowns.
-In Green Bay, there was monkey business with the seeding ahead of time that I directly addressed the day before the tourney and was basically told to pound sand.

Positives

-Hotel J was outstanding!
-The pre and post tournament action was top notch.  (Exi's, 2v2, breaking world records)

3 hours ago, CoachMac said:

Negatives

-The local casuals that are advertised were in my experience often, kids, women, or other people that had little interest in playing but were used to drive marketing.
-The seeding was whacked. 
-Almost all Genesis guys attended yet we spent most (75 percent) of the day playing SNES.
-The World Rankings are also jumbled because of past these past tournaments and the whacked seeding.
-While I feel I drew the a short straw at the Vancouver King of 94, it was completely random and truly just turning out in a pool that was very strong due to unknowns.
-In Green Bay, there was monkey business with the seeding ahead of time that I directly addressed the day before the tourney and was basically told to pound sand.

Positives

-Hotel J was outstanding!
-The pre and post tournament action was top notch.  (Exi's, 2v2, breaking world records)

Thanks for the feedback.  I know you gave me a much longer one in private afterwards.  I took it to heart and improvements have been made.

A woman was interested in, and paid to be in the tournament, along with her husband.  They played in our qualifier tournament and had a blast.  There were two children in the event(one was my son), and if memory serves, they both won games, against adults.  I know at least one of them did(my kid).  So that's 32/35 players that participated that don't fit that description. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "drive marketing".  I don't know how many live tournaments outside of King of 94 you've been to.  What I can tell you is that at most video game tournaments, you get a wide spectrum of talent.  We literally experienced the best there is(Raph and AJ on Gens), some mid tier, and newer players.  Yes, we've exposed people to the community they didn't know existed.  I'm not sure how that's a negative.  If you were expecting 35 Gens B calibur people or better to be there, I think you might want to attend a few more regional tournaments to see how those things tend to add up.  Relating this to Tecmo, I attended Tecmo Jam Cleveland this year, and about 6-10 guys out of about 70 players who were contenders to win it all, and then there was everyone else.  Everyone had fun.  I think that was the general opinion of our event.  I hope you found something you enjoyed during your stay with us.

The delay regarding SNES and Genesis has been addressed.  The tournament ran longer due to a number of factors, and we are addressing that to make sure it doesn't run as long next time.  We are running Genesis first this time, and have brought the food equation in house, and will have more systems in play to speed things along.  The seeding while announced well in advance ended up being substituted for an abbreviated Swiss format due to time constraints.  Something I felt awful about and do apologize for.  We wanted to invite SNES players into the fold, and will continue have it be a part of our event.  However, until we get a better representation from the community, it will remain 2nd to Genesis.

The way you approached me the day before was fairly abrasive, and to be fair, you're an intimidating guy, even if that's not your intention(takes shirt off mid tournament lol).  If I made alterations to seeding based that type of discourse hours before the event, I feel that I would be opening a door I cannot close.

No rankings list is perfect.  As we are playing in a local tournament, I think a local ratings system is the best way to go.  I'm guessing that you won't be returning(I hope I'm wrong).  To be the best, you have to beat the best.  I hope you'll give us another shot, but we will be using that list Smoz has.  As we had a few no shows day of last time, we had to reorder things, and I think having this data makes it extremely easy to snake groups together based on who shows up.

Thanks again for the feedback, and regardless of what you do in the future, I think you're good for the community.  I enjoyed you on the mic with Arda.

-Trojan

• Like 1

Our sponsor Edge VR Arcade has extended a special offer to all tournament participants.  Buy a half hour of VR time and get your 2nd half hour free!

The variety of VR experiences is immense, and isn't limited to just games.  There are movies(no not those kind of movie), different simulations, and well yeah games.  Arda loves Gorn, and you will too.

11 hours ago, Edge of 94' WI said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I know you gave me a much longer one in private afterwards.  I took it to heart and improvements have been made.

The way you approached me the day before was fairly abrasive, and to be fair, you're an intimidating guy, even if that's not your intention(takes shirt off mid tournament lol).  If I made alterations to seeding based that type of discourse hours before the event, I feel that I would be opening a door I cannot close.

Thanks again for the feedback, and regardless of what you do in the future, I think you're good for the community.  I enjoyed you on the mic with Arda.

-Trojan

gettyimages-53462247-1024x1024.jpg

On 11/17/2018 at 9:25 PM, annatar said:

Far from 100% but I'm looking into making the trip this year.

I'm sure there's at least a couple guys who would like the chance to destroy me at Gens. And maybe SNES too. :lol:

Your being there would go a long way in establishing some anchors, as we try to build this every year.  I'm trying very hard to get people out of this "I only play this system" mentality. I hope they instead say, "hey I get a free chance to try the other game with my entry".

I was hoping Jammer and some Vancouver guys could come, and a Bob Kudelski sighting wouldn't hurt the cause either.  We are all just pot feeders down here in Green Bay, minus a few up and comers.

Players that send in their registration payment prior to January 1st will be eligible for exclusive prize giveaways.  Let's get those sign ups in.

We will share what these prizes are in the coming days and weeks leading up to the deadline!

Image result for hockey prizes

As per @kingraph's suggestion, the Registration link is live.  https://tinyurl.com/2018NHL94

Also, here's our first prize giveaway for those that register and pay before January 1st.

The Gamerztek 16 Bit HD is our official clone console, which can play on standard definition via composite on your CRT, or on your HD display via HDMI.  The included controllers are fantastic, and they do support original style SNES controllers.  This is a $50 value, and will be given away to a lucky early registrant the day of the tournament!

Image result for gamerztek hd snes

Edited by Edge of 94' WI
  • Like 1

Want access to exclusive prize giveaways at our tournament?  Today we unveil the 2nd prize, EXCLUSIVE to those that register/pay prior to January 1st!

Love games like Ice Hockey, Tecmo Super Bowl, RBI Baseball, Mega Man 2 and  Super Mario Bros 3?

The Gamerztek 8 BIT HD is a system that will pay your original NES cartridges via analogue displays via composite, or via HDTV's via HDMI.  It includes all the cables you need for both, as well as two controllers(They are very comfortable and responsive).  The console is top loading, so games are much more reliable vs your typical original NES consoles.  This console is a $40 value.  You are automatically entered to win this prize if you register before January 1st!

81eVFkMlgbL._AC_.jpg

Edited by Edge of 94' WI