NHL'94 Forums

NHL Hockey (DOS)

On 11/19/2018 at 6:24 AM, DSgamby said:

There are higher rated players than Skalde that shouldn't be.

Oh, which ones in your opinion?

image.png

OVR calculation does not include WGT, AGG and BIA. On these values lower can be better in some cases.

Oleg Petrov is also quite high rated.

3 hours ago, Kiba said:

Oh, which ones in your opinion?

image.png

OVR calculation does not include WGT, AGG and BIA. On these values lower can be better in some cases.

Oleg Petrov is also quite high rated.

Didn't realize that Skalde had higher ratings down the list.

The two main ratings though are Speed and Agility though. Other than Mogilny and Yzerman.   The next best player only played in one game in 92-93.

2 hours ago, game-winning mullet said:

What do R * and D y/n refer to?

R means if player is rookie or not, but NHL Hockey does not use that attribute, so NHLinfo prints it out as *, meaning that there is no yes/no value.

D is dressed yes/no, so is player marked to play on next game. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Always loved the sprites in NHL Hockey PC and NHL95 PC, but this is the rare exception where I’d rather play a console version over PC; Gens or SNES ‘94.

The skating doesn’t feel as fluid to me for some reason, it’s hard to explain without demonstrating. Almost like the skaters are on rails.

The thing that I always found irritating is the scoreboard taking up 1/5th of the screen. Not sure if there’s a hack for this or not.

Checking the ref is my favorite thing to do in the game.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:12 AM, clockwise said:

The skating doesn’t feel as fluid to me for some reason, it’s hard to explain without demonstrating. Almost like the skaters are on rails.

The thing that I always found irritating is the scoreboard taking up 1/5th of the screen. Not sure if there’s a hack for this or not.

Yeah I agree about the skating.. I find it too slow so I always adjust all the skaters speeds and put them up a couple points whenever I'm working on rosters for this game.
The scoreboard doesn't bother me too much though as I like seeing the status of my lines and I enjoy the penalty clock on display when you're on the PP or PK.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 10:39 PM, jer_33 said:

I've told this story before.. but there was a computer shop growing up that used to rent PC games, you signed an agreement to uninstall/delete when you returned the game. 

It was a real chore to install these games back then - 8-10 floppy disks needed to be swapped in order to install.

Here's the PC requirements at the time:

s-l1600.jpg

What store?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More download links if you need them:

https://www.oldgames.sk/en/download.php?filedownload=2876

NHL HOCKEY

https://www.oldgames.sk/en/download.php?filedownload=8637

NHL HOCKEY 95

They are preinstalled versions, no need to struggle with DOSBox settings.

STIAHNUT = DOWNLOAD

Edited by DominikJagr
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, DominikJagr said:

More download links if you need them:

https://www.oldgames.sk/en/download.php?filedownload=2876

NHL HOCKEY

https://www.oldgames.sk/en/download.php?filedownload=8637

NHL HOCKEY 95

They are preinstalled versions, no need to struggle with DOSBox settings.

STIAHNUT = DOWNLOAD

These are the versions I use. Super easy to setup and use.

Edited by PenguinFan1985
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

My buddy had the original NHL Hockey for the PC, we used to play it all the time. We'd play with the EA Sports branded Gravis GamePad Pro controllers.I have an original copy of it with floppy disks, see attached.

I now work on a Mac and use a program called Boxer, which is an MS-DOS game emulation based on DOSBox...so I can just download DOS games and play them on my Mac. I just drag them onto the shelf within the user interface, it's pretty cool. See attached.

It's easier and more convenient than running the games through Dos Box. I have NHL Hockey and NHL Hockey 95, and play with a Logitech USB controller.

BTW, there were a few changes made between the original NHL Hockey and NHL Hockey 95, namely:

1 - the graphic interface changed from animated drawings to real photos of studio & reporter photos, as well as in-arena shots. See attached.
2 - the overall presentation was improved to give it a much more TV presentation feel to it.
3 - the in-game sounds and stoppage in play arena music was a bit different
4 - the "EA Sports...it's in the game" was used at the start of the game
5 - the original NHL Hockey had the SNES intro screen, while the NHL Hockey 95 had a completely different intro screen, comparable to NHL 94 for the Sega CD
6 - both games had the same game intro music, but when you'd exit NHL Hockey '95, you'd get the classic NHL 94 music - plus you'd get these awesome screens that would shuffle through hockey cards featuring pictures of all of the game's producers, programmers, artists, testers. etc.
7 - NHL Hockey '95 was produced for the PC by Pioneer Productions
8 - the player ratings were provided by John Rosasco (PR Dept) and Neil Smith (GM)

If you have a chance to play NHL Hockey '95, do it...it's awesome. 

Let's Go Rangers!

RangerJoe

91302351_1064641483918142_6970746481347133440_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 12.22.24 PM.png

91432009_2490881884506278_4846055455987859456_n.jpg

GamePad-Pro-by-Gravis-EA-Sports-PC-Controller.jpg

nhl-94.jpg

nhl-95.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 3:52 PM, Ottohoffman said:

Rumor is you can call timeouts anyone confirm this please ???

I called a timeout once  I never replicate it.  One thing I remember,  Timeout was lit up in yellow.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so .... the dos version of NHL hockey has the timeout icon next to the clock . The 95 dos version does not .

This would indicate that there is a way to call time outs in the original PC version for sure .  

IIRC, F9/F10 is pulling goalie, home/away, timeout might be F11/F12, Home/End/Enter etc., pressing it during the match before it is interrupted or during interruption? Or maybe they are available only in 10/20 mins period mode, season mode, when penalties, injuries and etc. are turned on? Somewhere in the top menu? There must be a way. It doesnt make sense to implement time-outs in NHL games for other systems and PC version as one of the most complex leave without time-outs, important aspect of the game. I cant find the manual online. I got plenty of stuff archived so maybe I find something useful on this matter.

Edited by DominikJagr

2 minutes ago, DSgamby said:

Tried all that and nothing

From your older posts I assume you own the manual, am I right? If calling time-outs is not in the manual I very much doubt its possible to call them in the game. 

I checked my materials and all I have found is this article about NHL Hockey 95 that I downloaded many years ago:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564969-nhl-hockey-95/faqs/34286

On 2/11/2021 at 9:18 PM, DSgamby said:

I called a timeout once  I never replicate it.  One thing I remember,  Timeout was lit up in yellow.

If you can't find it in the manual, I highly doubt that happened. Your mind is playing tricks on you.. must have dreamed it up.

I have played this game for most of my life both NHL hockey & NHL95 and have never called a timeout. I believe it's strictly there for show.